Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad/Stardock I salute you !!!

To Brad and the Team at Stardock
    WELL DONE !!! I purchased my copy yesterday and was up most of the night playing. this game is GREAT
    I Also love the fact that it has no copy protection ( although i did register my copy) and i can play without the CD`s...still muddling my way through it but i know this game is going to keep me occupied for years...
    GREAT GAME, WELL DONE

"Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Re: Brad/Stardock I salute you !!!

Originally posted by tiny toad
      To Brad and the Team at Stardock
      WELL DONE !!! I purchased my copy yesterday and was up most of the night playing. this game is GREAT

Originally posted by tiny toad
      still muddling my way through it but i know this game is going to keep me occupied for years...
      I think I'll be playing this one for a while, as well as getting into the modding once the community has enough "How To" manuals in place.

And if the company is going to stand behind this game the way they say they are, then who knows what all the future holds.....

D

Comment

Re: Re: Brad/Stardock I salute you !!!

Originally posted by Darsnan
        And if the company is going to stand behind this game the way they say they are, then who knows what all the future holds.....
        D

Don't think there are any worries on that score. I remember reading some info about the company when GC 1 came out that indicated that the guys always wanted to make great games, but didn't want to be beholden to anyone else regarding commerical vs 'fun' decisions about those games. So, they first made a bunch of business software so that they could financially support their game creation.

In other words, my impression is that Brad & Co. are gamers themselves, first and foremost. They are not going to abandon something they love themselves.

Or at least that is my heartfelt wish!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kinjiru
          Don't think there are any worries on that score. I remember reading some info about the company when GC 1 came out that indicated that the guys always wanted to make great games, but didn't want to be beholden to anyone else regarding commerical vs 'fun' decisions about those games. So, they first made a bunch of business software so that they could financially support their game creation.

Wow! Good idea!
          I missed the whole GC1 and MOO2 thing because I was heavily involved in the telecom boom (that and raising infants).

In other words, .... They are not going to abandon something they love themselves.

Or at least that is my heartfelt wish!!
          I really hope so.

One of the things I saw on the Stardock forums was a thread for "Simple and easy improvements", however I haven't been able to locate a thread for more advanced ideas/ suggestions. I had a few of these ideas as follow:

1. Spaceship equipment that can induce sunspots into an enemy sun (either that or be able to "project" an artificial black hole into a sun). The results on the planets insystem would be either to change the weather on planet(s), which would have end results such as changing planets' bonus tiles around, or in more severe cases change planets' classes or, even make them uninhabitable/ habitable depending on the controlling algorhythm).

2. Being able to "colonize" Class 0 planets for the purpose of establishing an outpost/ military stronghold in a strategic location.

3. Space mines. Say you've got a flank that you want to defend, and have no intentions of advancing in that direction out of the sector your currently in. By planting space mines along this flank you don't have to assign as many ships to patrol/ defend that flank.

4. The concept of "overspace", or that there is a normal "X" space (and that is the dimension that we live in) but that there are also parallel dimensions that exist, and that certain researched techs will allow players to build ships can travel thru these parallel dimensions. Example: player builds a "Pirate" ship that can project itself into dimension "Y" (or "overspace" if you prefer). It then camps out along a known trade route in X Space, but projects itself into Y Space so that it is completely undetectable until it then decides to come back into X Space to see if there is any prey around.

5. And speaking of Pirates, how about an option where you can send your ships into "Privateer" mode where they can attempt to blame other races for their attacks (sort of like framing another Faction when commencing Probe Team actions in SMAC).

6. The whole idea that there are other species out there that don't/ can't breathe the same atmosphere that we do, nor are their ecosystems able to simply move in and "take over" when their race conquers/ colonizes a planet. So say "Species A"is busily terraforming a world to their standards (improving the atmosphere, enriching the soil in order to support their ecosystems, etc.), but Species J, who is a military juggarnaut, comes along and sees Species A on this planet. Species J decides to spare Species A because Species J realizes it would simply take too much effort in order to conquer, then re-terraform said world, and decides to look elsewhere for a more suitable victim that will reap easier dividends.

7. The whole concept of expanding upon the planetary conflict aspect of the game could be expanded upon into a full blown parallel game. I think currently there is a void here in the TBS Sci-Fi gaming industry for the next "Deadlock" or "Cyberstorm" (or whatever other names you could insert here that have revolved around a Sci-Fi planet conquest theme... ).

There are more ideas that are slowly percolating away in my mind. As I play the game more I'm sure the better of them will come to the surface. I'll see about becoming more active over at Stardock here in the near future, once I've managed to claw my way off of the "Easy" level....

D

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Brad/Stardock I salute you !!!

So, they first made a bunch of business software so that they could financially support their game creation.
            Yup - somewhere Brad posted that if they sold ZERO copies of GalCiv 2, the company would still be in the black. What an awesome way to do business!
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Thanks guys!

We have a lot of cool stuff in the pipeline.

Here's one: Design your own civs and play against them. Hope to get that into 1.1.

Comment

Looking forward to the updates
                Oh..and i forgot to mention...the music really rocks as well, and another late night last night playing Gal Civ

Comment

Originally posted by Darsnan

2. Being able to "colonize" Class 0 planets for the purpose of establishing an outpost/ military stronghold in a strategic location.
                  No need. Use a Starbase in the area instead, anywhere in open space.

- Sirian

Comment

Originally posted by Sirian

- Sirian
                    I think he wants to be able to base troops in a forward location. Can't do that with starbases.

Comment

Originally posted by Draginol
                      Design your own civs and play against them. Hope to get that into 1.1.
                      I like this idea - I'm a Magic: The Gathering nut, and I've made each of the ten Ravnica guilds as societies, and would love to play one against the 9 others.
                      It's a CB.
                      --
                      SteamID: rampant_scumbag

Comment

Originally posted by Sirian

- Sirian
                        From a strategice perspective there are benefits that can be had for "colonizing" a Class 0 planet as opposed to building a Starbase. If you are an avid reader of Sci Fi literature then your probably aware that there are many examples of this, one being in Dickson's "Dorsai" where an assault force "colonized" a class 0 planet (Oriente) which held the strategic benefit that it would take considerable time and effort in order to "dig them out" (i.e. the enemy would have to commit ground assault troops against them), a dimension not necessary for combatting a hostile starbase.
                        Regardless, the underlieing theme of my ideas at this point (and they are just that, considering I haven't played the game enough to really get a feel for what the AI's can and can't do) is that sometime along I will get involved with the Creation/ Modding side of the house for GalCiv. One thing I've really liked in SMACX is that there are a lot of hooks and handles on the game that I can use to the AI's benefit in throwing curveballs at human players in the SP Challenges I've generated in the past. The sooner I start asking questions/ giving suggestions here concerning the hooks and handles available to modders/ Creators in GalCiv, then the sooner I can get feedback as to what is and isn't possible as far as the game is concerned.

D

Comment

Working...
                        X