Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I was in charge"

Dixit Saddam Hussein.

Former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein has told his trial in Baghdad that he alone should be made to answer for the actions of his regime.

In a dramatic development at the end of a second straight day of prosecution evidence, he said the court should stop accusing others.

Earlier, he admitted razing the farms of those convicted of trying to kill him in Dujail in 1982.

The trial, which resumed amid fresh violence, was adjourned until 12 March.

"I am Saddam Hussein, I was in charge, and just because things have changed I am not going to say someone else was responsible," the former leader told the court.

He told the court he had signed papers ordering the destruction of farmland. He and seven aides deny killing 148 Shias in Dujail village in the 1980s.

Earlier, the chief prosecutor produced further documents and letters he said linked Saddam Hussein to the deaths.

Meanwhile, three bombs exploded in Baghdad on Wednesday, killing more than 20 people.

More than 60 people died in a wave of bomb attacks in the Iraqi capital on Tuesday. A mosque at the grave of Saddam Hussein's father in Tikrit was also attacked.

Bullets

The former president admitted on Wednesday ordering the destruction of orchards belonging to villagers convicted over the failed attempt on his life in Dujail.

"I razed them... we specified the farmland of those who were convicted and I signed," Saddam Hussein told the court.

He described seeing bullets pass before his eyes and argued ordering the seizure of the orchards was not a crime because the owners had tried to kill their head of state.

Saddam Hussein urged the court to free his fellow defendants, saying: "At the time I was in charge. It is not my habit to pass the buck on to others."

Chief prosecutor Jaafar al-Moussawi earlier used an overhead screen to show documents and letters he claims links the former president to the Dujail massacre.

Some documents showed four of the accused were executed by mistake, while two were released by mistake.

One document, purportedly from the Iraqi secret service, said nearly 50 of the accused had died during interrogation rather than by hanging.

The eight defendants deny all the charges.

Defence complaints

On Tuesday, Mr Moussawi showed the court a memo, dated 16 June 1984, which he claimed showed the former president's signature approving the executions.

Another paper dated two days earlier, announcing the death sentences, was allegedly signed by co-defendant Awad Bandar.

The trial resumed on Tuesday after a two-week break, during which the 68-year-old former president said he was on hunger strike to protest against alleged court bias. He ended the strike at the weekend, citing health concerns.

As the trial got under way, the defence team again filed a motion for Judge Rahman to be disqualified, saying he would not give the defendants a fair trial.

Judge Rahman was born in the Iraqi Kurdish town of Halabja, which came under a chemical gas attack from Saddam Hussein's forces in 1988. Around 5,000 Kurds died in a single day.

Mr Rahman refused all defence requests, prompting Saddam Hussein's top lawyers Mr Dulaimi and Khamis al-Obeidi to walk out.

Mr Obeidi reappeared in court on Wednesday.

The trial, which began in October, has so far heard 26 prosecution witnesses.
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Published: 2006/03/01 14:39:18 GMT

© BBC MMVI
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

It's a consolation that at least he will stand up for the crap he did, but the peons will have to pay too.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

interesting last stand, I am sure he will impress many of people who still fancy his old rule.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Wonder if he is dying or something?
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

He's still not saying that anything he did was wrong. He's only saying that even if it were wrong you shouldn't punish the people who were just following orders.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Yeah, he said he was on charge, but he did not do anything wrong.

He's not confessing or admitting anything. Just stating the obvious, from which he can't even get out, denying he was not in charge that is.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
            X