Ambition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambition

I'm having a bit of psychological trouble, in that I'm finding it hard to predict anything between say, 3 months away, and 30 years away.

As soon as I think past 3 months away, I suddenly just skip forward and end up thinking about a lot of years down the track. This makes it impossible for me to have any mid-term goals or ambitions because I simply cant perceive anything happening 3 months away. Nothing.

It's like there's a huge gap in my prediction model for my future. Not like it gets grayer and grayer, but going from gray to black to gray again.

That sounds rather geeky... but it's really getting me down. During the day I'm fine. I'm busy, I don't have time to think about things. Then when I get bored, I begin to think about things... which invariably ends with me making predicitions. Predictions which are bleak or simply non-existant.

Any ideas on how to combat this? It's really eating at me.

You should start living in the now.
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

30 years down the road? How do you do that? 10 years is stretching it for me.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Do you have an SO, Kalius?
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

joncha: I'm steamed, Bob. Look at my eyes! No don't look at my eyes, they're bleeding!

UR: It's strange... for some reason I can project my life, without any major hiccups, through a long way, but between that period I simply cant project anything. Maybe it's a detail thing.

Az: No... no.

Comment

It's strange...

no, no it isn't, come to think about it. when nearing the end, life becomes rather similar to the majority of people, whereas the middle of your life is exciting and can vary much more.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

i would advise not spending too much time worrying about things like this.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

this **** is eating me up inside, also. But I am positively excited about the future so I do mind it that much.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

you life is what you make of it, if you want you could be in the middle of Kongo next year trying to dig the diamonds , but I kind of highly doubt this is something you are very keen on.

So it is up to you to do with your life what you want, and no need to "project" what will hapen. Go and do it.
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

My friend had a proposal being a mercenary guarding diamond mines in the Kongo. It pays 8000 bucks a month man.

but you get to die, and **** like that, on a regular basis.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

A projection model is built to reflect the consequences of decisions that YOU have made. If you did not make decisions with long term consequences, it will reflect nothing on the long term.
                      Statistical anomaly.
                      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

If you can predict where you will be in 30 years than you probably aren't doing enough. I only set my sites 5 years off, because I set my goals so high the breakdown of what I need to do by when becomes a lot shorter.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
                          A projection model is built to reflect the consequences of decisions that YOU have made. If you did not make decisions with long term consequences, it will reflect nothing on the long term.
                          That's rather profound... never thought about it that way. Thanks DAVOUT, and the rest

Comment

I have the same problem. I just ignore it and hope it goes away. But seriously, it has been making my decision making process lately, very difficult. But so far, most of my decisions have been the right ones. But I just made another big career decision last monday. I'm still not sure if I made the right one. Time will tell...

Comment

As long as you made one... Do nothing can be the worse thing to
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X