Problems running in Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems running in Windows XP

I have looked at the FAQ thread, but there didn't seem to be anything especially relevant. The game installs fine and starts up fine. I did what the thread said and got the XP patch compatibility patch, and I also set ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 just to be safe. However, it crashes to desktop after between 75 and 100 mission years. Is there anything else I can do to increase compatibility?
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Does it crash while playing videos, in the computer's turn, in any other particular time, or at any moment?

Comment

Well, the last time it crashed at the end of my turn when I ordered a captured mind worm unit to step onto a monolith. Movies and videos seem to be able to play fine.

I have just the original game without Alien Crossfire in a Laptop install (because my computer is, well, a laptop). I installed the patch immediately after the game and the compatibility update after that.

Comment

I had a problem with my old graphics card which caused the game to crash randomly throughout the game, and every time a movie was played - that's why I asked.

You say that the game crashes when moving your own units, and that sounds strange to me - I used to have that kind of problems during the AI's turn, or during maintenance. I really don't know what to tell you, as you've already installed the patches and configured the infamous line in the INI. Perhaps a clean reinstall? A regisitry prune? What do you think, comrades?

Comment

I'd suggest a full reinstall (the full install, not the laptop one), because maybe some problem is happening when it has to read files from the CD?
          Last edited by Humphrey; February 28, 2006, 12:52.

Comment

I guess you've tried compatibility mode?
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Do you refer to the compatibility mode wizard? If so, then I have tried that. (On a full install, by the way.) It crashed at the end of my turn in around Mission Year 17.

Comment

Check out this link for tips on improving game stability. Also, you said that you ran the compatibility mode wizard, but you also might want to experiment using different options on the Compatibility tab (right-click SMAC shortcut, select Properties, then Compatibilty tab).
                "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
                X