X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get the CTP2 source code

Hi folks,
    I've now set up a new SubVersion server. You can find it and some instructions at http://ctp2.darkdust.net. The SubVersion URL is https://ctp2.darkdust.net/svn.

After reading through the EULA and the FAQ here in the forum I think I can't provide anonymous access as that seems to be against the EULA since I can't guarantee that someone who checks out anonymously has read and agreed to the EULA. So you need to send me an e-mail stating that you have read and agreed to the EULA and what username and password you'd like to use.

If you've checked out from kaan's SubVersion repository you don't need to re-checkout the source. You can use "svn switch" like this:

Code:
    cd workingcopy
    svn switch --relocate oldurl [url]https://user@ctp2.darkdust.net/svn[/url]
    If you can't remember the old URL, just have a look at the .svn/entries file.

Because I don't have Windows I can't tell you how to do this relocating with TortoiseSVN.

I've also create a mailing list ctp2-commit@darkdust.net. Every commit will generate a mail on that list, so if you subscribe to that list (infos and link to archive on http://ctp2.darkdust.net) you won't miss a commit :-) And if I manage to get that archive searchable we can then easily search in the commit logs. You can already see the commit logs from the past revisions in the archive.

There's also a second mailing list, ctp2-dev@darkdust.net. I personally like mailing lists more than forums when it comes to discussing coding issues, but that's just my personal taste. Please tell me if you think a mailing list is a good idea or whether you'd like to stick to the forum.

This is the first time I've actually set up SubVersion with https, I normally use SSH but this is out of question here, IMHO. And this is the first time I've installed/set up Mailman/Hypermail, so if you notice any problems (especially potential security problems) please tell me. Thanks.

Re: New SubVersion server

Originally posted by DarkDust
    After reading through the EULA and the FAQ here in the forum I think I can't provide anonymous access as that seems to be against the EULA since I can't guarantee that someone who checks out anonymously has read and agreed to the EULA. So you need to send me an e-mail stating that you have read and agreed to the EULA and what username and password you'd like to use.
    Why do you think that the EULA forbids you to provide an anonymous access? Just put the EULA above the instructions and state that everyone aggrees to the EULA by using the anonymous access. If someone didn't read the EULA then it is his problem that he accepted something that he even doesn't know.

The problem without having anonymous access is that it is a very high hurdle to ask you, that we lose all the people who just want to have a look on it and that prevents them from doing anything with the code.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Re: Re: New SubVersion server

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

Why do you think that the EULA forbids you to provide an anonymous access? Just put the EULA above the instructions and state that everyone aggrees to the EULA by using the anonymous access. If someone didn't read the EULA then it is his problem that he accepted something that he even doesn't know.

The problem without having anonymous access is that it is a very high hurdle to ask you, that we lose all the people who just want to have a look on it and that prevents them from doing anything with the code.

-Martin
      I agree with you that easy access is very desirable :-) The problematic part in the EULA for me is:

You agree that, as a condition to your using the Call to Power II Source Code you will not use or allow third parties to use the Call to Power II Source Code and/or the New Game Materials created by you for any commercial purposes, including but not limited to selling, renting, leasing, licensing, distributing, or otherwise transferring the ownership of such New Game Materials, whether on a stand alone basis or packaged in combination with the New Game Materials created by others, through any and all distribution channels, including, without limitation, retail sales and on-line electronic distribution.
      and from the FAQ in this forum:

After communicating about this with them, Activision said their interpretation is that it's okay to distribute the source, as long as you make sure that anyone who has access to it must agree to the EULA first.
      and

Activision's interpretation is that the use of CVS servers and similar tools is allowed, as long as anyone who has access to the code has agreed to the EULA.
      So in my eyes this seems to rule out anonymous access. The problem is not that someone who checks out the source anonymously without reading the EULA breaks it but that *I* seem to break it in that case.

But I may see it too strict here... I could do this:

- create a page with the license with an "I agree" button that redirects to the anonymous source browser
      - create a page with the license with an "I agree" button that tells the user how to check out the source with SubVersion
      - link both of these pages on the ctp2.darkdust.net site

Do think this is enough ?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: New SubVersion server

But I may see it too strict here... I could do this:

- create a page with the license with an "I agree" button that redirects to the anonymous source browser
        - create a page with the license with an "I agree" button that tells the user how to check out the source with SubVersion
        - link both of these pages on the ctp2.darkdust.net site

Do think this is enough ?
        I think that this is enough, at least this is how it was handled by Apolyton. In fact you can now download everything related to the source code without reading and agreeing to the EULA. But they did it so that you had to agree to the EULA even if you wanted to download an attached file in this forum.

So the only problem I see is that you need to make sure that there is no chance that there is a direct link that might bypass your construct but well even if I don't know how but there is a way to achieve this.

-Martin

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: New SubVersion server

I think that this is enough, at least this is how it was handled by Apolyton. In fact you can now download everything related to the source code without reading and agreeing to the EULA. But they did it so that you had to agree to the EULA even if you wanted to download an attached file in this forum.

So the only problem I see is that you need to make sure that there is no chance that there is a direct link that might bypass your construct but well even if I don't know how but there is a way to achieve this.

-Martin
          I think I can achieve this with an htaccess file that only allows links to the source browser if the referer is ctp2.darkdust.net. Thanks for the hint :-)

Comment

Okay, I've added anonymous source access. See the instructions on my CTP2 site. Basically, my server just lets you browse the source or see the instructions on how to check out the source anonymously if you're coming through my site. This should be close enough to the EULA because all links on my site to the source is requesting you to agree to the EULA :-)

Normally you won't notice any restrictions except that if you try to access the anonymous repository with a browser by directly entering its URL or following a link from an external site you'll get redirected to the page with the "I agree" links.

Comment

DarkDust,

my request is in (as ekmek). I checkout the site. pretty sweet. its nice to access it from anywhere now! Hopefully it will bring more coders...
              Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Re: New SubVersion server

Because I don't have Windows I can't tell you how to do this relocating with TortoiseSVN.
                That's simple just use the relocate... menu option from the TortoiseSVN context menu. The URL is given and you just have to enter the URL.

There's also a second mailing list, [ctp2-dev [the odd a] darkdust.net]. I personally like mailing lists more than forums when it comes to discussing coding issues, but that's just my personal taste. Please tell me if you think a mailing list is a good idea or whether you'd like to stick to the forum.
                I prefer forum threads, with some 30 posts on the same page, so that I can read it whenever I want and so that I can reread the posts with one glance.

And that is my problem with your revision comment log, it shows just revision number, author, but not its content, at least the first line would be helpful if it should be more useful than that I get with TortoiseSVN. At least I would like to have an option that allows me to have it like a thread with let's say the last 30 revisions on a glance.

-Martin

Comment

Re: Re: New SubVersion server

That's simple just use the relocate... menu option from the TortoiseSVN context menu. The URL is given and you just have to enter the URL.
                  Could you describe that a bit more ? I've never seen TortoiseSVN, I only know it's an extension for Explorer. So I assume you to navigate to the directory, then right-click on the directory name and a context menu appears ? Is the "Relocate..." option in the top level of the menu or is there a sub-entry "SubVersion" or something like that ? Does the "Relocate..." dialog have any options ?

I prefer forum threads, with some 30 posts on the same page, so that I can read it whenever I want and so that I can reread the posts with one glance.
                  No problem, after all it was just a suggestion.

And that is my problem with your revision comment log, it shows just revision number, author, but not its content, at least the first line would be helpful if it should be more useful than that I get with TortoiseSVN. At least I would like to have an option that allows me to have it like a thread with let's say the last 30 revisions on a glance.

-Martin
                  What do you mean with "content" ? Do you like to see the diff's ? Could describe a bit more in detail what you'd like to have so I can see whether I can implement it ?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: New SubVersion server

Could you describe that a bit more ? I've never seen TortoiseSVN, I only know it's an extension for Explorer. So I assume you to navigate to the directory, then right-click on the directory name and a context menu appears ? Is the "Relocate..." option in the top level of the menu or is there a sub-entry "SubVersion" or something like that ? Does the "Relocate..." dialog have any options ?
                    It's simple right click on the folder in Windows-Explorer that is under version control, the context menu pops up. There is an menu option TortoiseSVN that opens a submenu. This submenu contains the Relocate... option. This opens a little dialog window that displays the old URL, an option to enter the new URL, a browse button, for browsing in the directory structure at the new URL and three more buttons: An OK button, a Cancel button and a Help button. No other options are there. So you only have to enter the new URL and press OK.

What do you mean with "content" ? Do you like to see the diff's ? Could describe a bit more in detail what you'd like to have so I can see whether I can implement it ?
                    Actually I was about something like a thread: As you can see it there.

Basicly we just copied and pasted the revision reports we submitted to the resporitory so that everyone can read them. so basicly I just want something like this: A thread of revision reports. Your current system just lists the revisions, but I have no idea about their content, until I click on them so that I am directed to their revision reports.

Basically something a threadlike would be very good. On the left and you have revision number, author, date and maybe branch, and on the right side you have the report and maybe also the altered files.

Another thing to ask is whether you can host a bug tracking system, currently we only have the playtest thread where bugs are reported. The problem with this is that the bugs reports are buried deep within the thread. So sooner or later they get out of focus espeacilly if you have to take a break because of real live issures.

-Martin

Comment

It's simple right click on the folder in Windows-Explorer that is under version control, the context menu pops up. There is an menu option TortoiseSVN that opens a submenu. This submenu contains the Relocate... option. This opens a little dialog window that displays the old URL, an option to enter the new URL, a browse button, for browsing in the directory structure at the new URL and three more buttons: An OK button, a Cancel button and a Help button. No other options are there. So you only have to enter the new URL and press OK.
                      Okay, thanks. I'll add this description to my page.

Actually I was about something like a thread: As you can see it there.

Basicly we just copied and pasted the revision reports we submitted to the resporitory so that everyone can read them. so basicly I just want something like this: A thread of revision reports. Your current system just lists the revisions, but I have no idea about their content, until I click on them so that I am directed to their revision reports.

Basically something a threadlike would be very good. On the left and you have revision number, author, date and maybe branch, and on the right side you have the report and maybe also the altered files.
                      Hmmm, I see the benefit, but unfortunately that means I have to code it as I'm not aware of anything that does something like automagically.

I'm currently hunting the "cursor looks weird on Linux" bug. After I've got this one I'll implement your request (so don't expect it in the next days, it will take me some more time to find and fix it )

Another thing to ask is whether you can host a bug tracking system, currently we only have the playtest thread where bugs are reported. The problem with this is that the bugs reports are buried deep within the thread. So sooner or later they get out of focus espeacilly if you have to take a break because of real live issures.

-Martin
                      No problem, I'd suggest Trac:
                      • it's not as bloated as Bugzilla but has everything you normally need (we use it in the company I work for)
                      • it has SubVersion support: you can reference files/revisions/files at certain revisions in the repository, has a source browser and changeset viewer (shows side-by-side diffs)
                      • roadmap support (you assign a number of issues to a milestone, as soon as all issues are you closed the milestone is reached; you can easily see the issues to a milestone)
                      • has a small Wiki system
                      • we can assign permissions very flexible: you can assign permissions to users and groups of users, e.g. you assign a set of permissions to anonymous user, to logged in users and give individual users extra permissions/revoke some

Comment

By the wat, thanks Darkdust. I've done two commits with tortoiseSVN and everything went great. thanks for help with this!
                        Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Okay folks, after a long fight I finally managed to install Trac... I have no idea why it was so hard this time, at work it was set within half an hour.

Anyways, please have a look at http://ctp2.darkdust.net/trac/

If you have a SubVersion account you can log in to Trac with it.

Anonymous (not logged in) users may only view stuff and create tickets but not modify anything else. Logged in users have full access (I granted every logged in user "Trac administrator" privileges as I don't see a reason to limit you). Oh, and anonymous user may currently not use the Trac SubVersion interface, because of the EULA issue. As soon as I know how to fix this I'll let anonymous user use it as well.

Martin, please have a look at the SubVersion log viewer, it might exactly be what you like:

Login -> Browse Source -> Revision Log (small link in the upper right), then enter a number in the "and back to" field, check "Show full log message" and click "Update"

Oh, and click on one of those "Changeset" links for colored diffs :-)

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New SubVersion server

Martin, please have a look at the SubVersion log viewer, it might exactly be what you like:
                            Well, that's very close, however I would prefer that such info like author etc are ordered in a list instead of columns and the revision report should have automatic line wrapping and I think empty lines are removed from the reprts.

However since this is so close and we have more important things to do this issure has a very low priority.

In the meantime I tested this ticket system. I added the six remaining issures that we still want to reimplement from Activision's patch. I used this list. And I converted the priority like this: low = trival, medium = minor, high = major. I didn't use critical and blocker, because I felt those issures weren't blocking us to realse anything and critical aren't they either, because we lived so long without fixing them.

-Martin

Comment

OK, I added one more ticket and I see that the component field, could be filled with something that makes more sense than just component1 or component2. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how I can modify this, if I can modify this at all.

However components we have so far in are:

Slic
                              GUI
                              Network

Other components are:

AI
                              Database

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X