No announcement yet.

EC3 New Idea #5 - HEX BASED MAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, maybe you're right, and we should suggest them tools as well. But this particular idea is still too restraining for Firaxis. We let them no choices at all.

Comment

This idea is a LOT less restrictive than many of the other proposals. It leaves plenty of choices for Firaxis. In what way do you think it's too restrictive?

Comment

Well, you are telling them: "Make hex based map". So where are the choises?
        The idea I had in my mind reading this proposal about hexes was the following:
        "What do I care about hexes?" Why? Because Civ3 could be very well a succes or a failure, with or without hex based map. I don't care if the map is based on hexes or anything else as long as the combat model is good, the resource management is working fine, I have enough diplomacy options, the graphics is beatiful, and so on. So that's why I don't think hexes are essential. They are an option, yes, but not essential.
        But, of course, this is my opinion.

Comment

I think that the points you describe as essential are also essential in the minds of the designers. For example if my suggestion had been "to have a better diplomacy model", then what would the designers say "actually we were going to make it worse", I think not.

I think that this list of ideas should contain the smaller ideas that are practible but unlikly to cause friction with the overall grand designs.

For myself I dont believe having a hex based map will make the game ten times better than civ2, but if people like it then it may make that small but noticable effect that I believe the list is aiming for.
          "Through the eyes of perfection evolution dies slowly."

Comment

FINAL DRAFT

Hex Based Map

Current Problem:
            The ability to move diagonally on a square based map results in uneven movement and sight.

Basic idea:
            Replace the current square based map with a hexagon based map. This would mean that a unit could now move in 6 compass directions as oppose to 8 before.

Benefits:
            More accurate modelling of movement and sight. More realistic portrayal of land layout.

Feasibility:
            Implementation of the idea before the prototyping stage would perfectly feasible without any known disadvantages (on the assumption that code is being written from scratch).

Comment

Ok people time to strart canvasing for more support.

Lie Number One:
              Vote for me and all of your citizens will be happier.

Lie Number Two:
              Having a hex based grid will allow you to increase science without having to increase taxes.

Lie Number Three:
              Hexes will make your cities easier to defend and your opponents easier to attack.

Lie Number Four (for people who dislike micromanagement):
              Hexes will reduce the level of micromanagement.

Lie Number Five (for people who like micromanagement):
              Hexes will increase the detail of micromanagement.

Lie Number Six:
              All the other ideas are spawned from satan himself and will lead to the destruction of civ for all time.

Lie Number Seven:
              Detailed replays, simultanious turns, stacking, and domestic politics, will all increase the development time of civ3 by two years and lead to slow buggy performance.

Remember people a vote for Hexes is a vote for Democracy!

Comment

personally, hexes have been something i've wanted in a civ game since, well, civ. the only good thing about square tiles is that they lead to a very simple grid system... but when the grid is tilted 45 degrees, that goes away. so, we now have squares and hexes, with no real benefits for the first, and loads for the second. hexes will make for a much more realistic game. besides, i'm told that hexes slice, dice and juliene*!

*note: juliening optional. see your dealer for details.
                it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

I am in favour of a hex based map. Mainly because the diagonal-distortion-effect (i.e. with squares) is horrible in Naval combat.

A secondary reason is that for multiple hex/square cities with expanded radius (an idea from another thread) gamers would be tempted to make a "Diagonal super city" of squares as this would seem to bring in the most new squares of resources.

s
                  s
                  s

For example, for a "Diagonal" 3 space city
                  the total number resource spaces available is as follows:-

Squares: 35

Hexes: 28

This diagonal effect just looks weird and unrealistic on a map IMHO, but with hexs the effect is gone and the cities look more natural.

Think of the Ruhr industrial area of Germany.

Ko

P.S. for interest, a single Hex city has 19 spaces v 21 for the original CIV "square" layout. Any ideas on the effect that would have?
                  <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by KoenigMkII (edited March 14, 2000).]</font>

Comment

Come on this idea has been recieving a late rush of votes but to secure its place in the top 5 we need more votes. So read through the thread, see what a big improvement it will make and then vote.

p.s it is possible to change your vote so if you were misguided enough not to vote for me than you can still do so.

Comment

Thought I'd just post a link showing how great hexes could look in 3D. http://www.talonsoft.com/pix/west_fr...s_entering.GIF

Comment

Working...
                      X