The Joy of Elephants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Joy of Elephants

I've seen many a reference to the unit discoveries that (usually) trigger an outbreak of player-inspired conquest.......Cavalry, Cavalry, Cavalry and Praetorians .

I know they are slow, but what's wrong with the Elephant? If you can farm an Ivory resource, or trade your surplus health resources for Ivory, you are in pole position for a classical era invasion.

STR8 with a 50% bonus against mounted units is very powerful, and in practice they only have problems with fortified city-defending Spearmen and perhaps Archers with promotions in good cities. Far, far superior in usage to Swordsmen IMO (they chew up Axemen for breakfast, especially with the +25% vs melee promotion).....although they can't earn city raider promotions themselves.

Also, they have a long shelf life as that +50% vs mounted makes them a good bet against Knights.

So, create a nice stompy stack of Elephants, give them a couple of axemen as anti-spear support and crush your foes into the early game dust!

They are expensive. I go from swordsman to maceman, without building more than 1-2 elephants.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    George Orwell

Comment

I agree. Even fortified Spearmen aren't that much of a problem, since the Spearmen almost never have City Defense promotions like Archers. If I have Elephants, I may delay researching Iron Working until I need it to chop jungles.

They're cheaper than Macemen, and we know Macemen are good. The +50% against Melee of Macemen frequently matters less than the basic strength of 8. The main drawback of Elephants is that they can't take the City Raider or Cover promotions like Swordsmen and Macemen. A Swordsman with City Raider III is actually slightly stronger than an Elephant with Combat III against cities.

- Gus

Comment

It'd be nice if they moved 2 like in Civ II

Comment

Elephants + Axemen defending a stack of Catapults is simply sick. There is nothing - nothing, that can attack elephant+axemen with anything near good odds. Well there are Praets, but everyone knows Praets rules.
          Axemen, Horse Archers get destroyed by Elephants.
          Spearmen, Swordmen get destroyed by Axemen.

Hell, even Pikemen are still going to get wrecked by Axemen. Knights and Macemen have trouble with Elephants.

It's one of those cases were the best bet is sacrificing catapults on the offending stack, the good thing is the axes and elephants do need to be stacked pretty deep, so the catapults will do a lot of collatoral.

When you get Ivory it's well worth beeling to construction and indulging in some chop-fueled Elepult.

Comment

I like elephants, the tech is already there because it's the same tech as for catapults, which you always want. They're like spearmen+, they can capture cities, clear enemy mounted units, and waltz over swordsmen and axemen.

Comment

Elepult... nice word. Watch for Greek phalanx if you decide to go with elephants... 5 base str + 100% against mounted. Though if you are smart enough to include axemen, no worries. They aren't terribly expensive (sure, compared to swords and axes, but they also kill them, so you get your money' worth), and you get them in the classical era, instead of having to wait for macemen to have a str 8 unit.

Comment

Myself, I tend to only build Elephants when missing both Iron & Copper while having Ivory.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                  Elephants + Axemen defending a stack of Catapults is simply sick.
                  True. That's a large chunk of your production right there, too.

Elephants are slow and expensive. They can't even catch up to wandering Warriors pillaging the land. This makes them only good for offense IMO, in which case I rather have some other units.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    Elephants are slow and expensive. They can't even catch up to wandering Warriors pillaging the land.
                    Don't you build roads?

- Gus

Comment

Originally posted by gus_smedstad
                      Don't you build roads?
                      Unfortunately, roads can also be pillaged.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        Unfortunately, roads can also be pillaged.
                        True, but that rarely affects my ability to chase speed-1 units with speed 1 units. The fact that they've pillaged the road in the square they're in, or in a square or two behind them, doesn't affect the roads I'm using to move my pillager-chaser.

Heck, I rarely have trouble catching speed-2 units with speed-1 units because they stop to pillage. This becomes more pronounced once I have Engineering and can move 3 even with Elphants and foot units. For that reason in my experience, Elephants are hardly offense-only. Quite often I'll keep a couple on my side of a border to chase down those pesky Horse Archers.

- Gus

Comment

Elephants don't require a horse resource. If you don't have horses then they make sense - especially if your enemy does have horses.

OK, it's not often you have ivory and not horses but it does happen.
                          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

The trouble with creating a strategy using elephants would be ....you have to have ivory.

Chances are if you have ivory your neighbor will have ivory.

Other than that their great, but they make to much noise!

Comment

I typically build WE's sparingly, for the sort of use Blake talked about: they go along with my attack stack. If they're needed to help take down a city, fine, but they're there mostly for defense.

+50% vs. mounted... they do horrible, unspeakable things to HA's. Spears can fill the same role, but not quite as effectively, and they're much more of a one-trick pony. WEs can kill enemy axes too.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X