Two Palaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Palaces

This save is from the ninth game of Civ I ever played, back in 1997. It’s an Emperor level game; I hadn’t graduated to Deity yet. I was reminiscing about my early days, and I looked at this game, which I had given up as hopeless in game year 1995 because the Persians had gotten Hoover and SETI and had an insurmountable advantage. Well, I looked at the 1995 save, and I thought, hey, I bet now I could win from this position. So I’m working on that, and I expect to succeed, and I was going to post just about that, because it’s so cool to see how far I’ve come (though I’m not one of the good players here).

And then, in the course of struggling back, I captured the Persian capital. They were "stronger" than me, and when I took the capital, they had a civil war and split some cities off as a new Carthaginian civ. That was cool – I’ve done it before, but it’s been a long time since I had to overpower a civ stronger than my own. But what really caught my eye was when I looked at the Persian cities list in the embassy, and noticed that two Persian cities were listed as the capital. So I went into cheat mode and looked at both cities, and they both have palaces!

The Carthaginians have their own palace, too.

I think I’ve seen people describe this happening to them, but it sure seems strange. Civ never ceases to amaze!
    Attached Files

AI civs having more than 1 palace happened in the last democracy game as well. The explanation offered at the time was that the game had been set up as a scenario in order to get the starting conditions we wanted. Could your game be a scenario? (I don't have civ I or II on this computer so I can't look at the save myself.)

RJM at Sleeper's
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Pure speculation here - but could it be a consequence of the 'civil war' I can imagine a programmer setting the civil war situation up and ensuring that each faction had a capital, but not allowing for the Babylonian government escapes to Ur' effect of the loss of the original capital - thus the original civ finds it has two palaces.

I find this quite convincing - but must repeat it is pure speculation...

Stu
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
        Pure speculation here - but could it be a consequence of the 'civil war' I can imagine a programmer setting the civil war situation up and ensuring that each faction had a capital, but not allowing for the Babylonian government escapes to Ur' effect of the loss of the original capital - thus the original civ finds it has two palaces.

I find this quite convincing - but must repeat it is pure speculation...

Stu
        I attach a save from the last Democracy game. The capital has just been captured to bring the Zulu spaceship back to earth. The Zulu empire has split, so if your speculation is right, it might show up in this save. Unfortunately I don't have Civ II on this computer so I can't check. But someone else may be able to!

RJM at Sleeper's
        Attached Files
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Nope, my game wasn't a scenario.

Stu, I'll bet you're right. Certainly the Persians had more than enough money to have pulled off the capital relocation.

I don't know how we could confirm your speculation, but two things could probably show it wrong: (1) dual capitals occurring without civil war, or (2) dual capitals occurring in the new civ rather than the original civ. Anyone ever seen either of those things?

Comment

Did you get the Persian government flees to ... message?

Stu
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I definitely do not remember getting the message.

Unfortunately, that tells us next to nothing about whether I was given the message ....

Comment

Working...
              X