Clear All

• PROJECT: Playtest (the 4th Thread)

Previous Threads:

PROJECT: Playtest
    PROJECT: Playtest II
    PROJECT: Playtest Thread III

Mini-FAQ

General playtest info / questions:

#1 Do I need any additional files to make the playtest work?

IF it is a build created with the .NET compiler. Therefore you need the .NET runtime environment to run the *.exe.
    If you dont already have it it is avalaible at windows update or here.
    Or at least you need those two dlls if you don't want to install the .NET runtime.

#2 How do I make a mod work with these playtest versions?

Although not all have been tested thoroughly, most mods should work with this playtest version without any changes. If you suffer any difficulties please post about them.

#3 Do I need to install the official Activision patch before this playtest version?

It makes no difference whether you do or not.

#4 How should I report a bug?

Include as much relevant information as you can. If possible explain how to replicate the problem. If appropriate, attaching a screenshot or a savegame is helpful. If the bug involves a crash to desktop, then it is helpful to include the crash log. You can enable crash logging by editing your userprofile.txt (in [Your CTP2 directory]\ctp2_program\ctp\) to set EnableLogs=Yes. The log can then be found at [Your CTP2 directory]\ctp2_program\ctp\logs\crash.txt.

#5 When will a new playtest verson be released?

When a code monkey feels like it . This will usually be either when some serious bug is fixed, or enough minor fixes have piled up that need to be tested. If you want to test some recent change, you can post here to request a new playtest build and they will try to oblige you.

#6 When will a new playtest thread be posted?

When the old thread is full meaning it has reached or exceeded the 500 post limit.

#7 How do I refer to a certain version?

You refer to a playtest by posting data or by date of compilation of the executable, you can find the date on the opening screen of the playtest. For instance our first playtest is dated from December the 9th 2003 or in other words it is playtest from 2003-09-12.

#8 Why did you not use version numbers like Activision did?

We decided that we don't give them a version number until we reimplemented all of the useful features of Activision's v.1.1. Unfortunately there are still a few features missing from the patch. Therefore we haven't yet assigned a version like v.1.2 or v1.3. Well something above 1.2 or 1.3 would be more appropiate since we have been adding much more new features and fixes than the patch added.

LATEST PLAYTEST: September 9th 2006

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
    Here is a new version of the Apolyton Edition playtest. This time it comes with *.dll files I forgot last time and in addition an AI improving bug-fix concerning AI slider handling. Now the AI is much faster in expansion but doesn't seem to build wonders anymore, maybe it now can also build something else. Well actually this should be fixed.

This version of the Apolyton Edition was compiled by using Visual Studio 6.0 Professional including service pack 5. This means you don't need any additional *.dlls.

All you need are these three files. If you already have version from August than you just need the first, the others are the same.

2006.09.09.CTP2.Playtest.1of3.rar
    2006.08.26.CTP2.Playtest.2of3.rar
    2006.08.26.CTP2.Playtest.3of3.rar

Edit: Removed links. For an up to date version of the Apolyton edition click here.

Here is the brief changelog since revision 632 from the readme:
    Code:
    2006-09-09 (Revision 634)
    Fixed:    AI slider handling
    Added:    For modders: STRATEGY_TOO_MANY_CITIES and STRATEGY_NO_REVOLUTON are
              loaded automatically if present in startegies.txt and not present in
              personalities.txt. This way modders have less work if they want to
              make the AI respect the city limit.
    Last edited by Martin Gühmann; May 22, 2008, 17:43.
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

FOR NEW PLAYTESTERS

the playtest is located inside the quote box in Martin's above post. To continue testing I post builds located in my signature based on the revision number and the date. These builds are a "patch" to the playtests posted above by Martin so you need to install the build rar over the installed playtests.

Happy Playtesting!

ORIGINAL POST
    Martin do your additions make AoM compatible now? If should I just make a build or should we start talking another playtest to correspond with AoM III?
    Last edited by Ekmek; July 16, 2006, 15:04.
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

My recent additions are supposed to make AOM playable again.

Releasing a new playtest is another issure. You might want to fix your bugs first before we release anything. But of course when your bugs are fixed then it is time to release a new playtest.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

[edit] never mid I fixed it.
        Last edited by Ekmek; February 5, 2006, 21:32.

Comment

ok I got this crash, but I cant tell if its the playtest or the slic

0x00894fba [?GetDeathChance@InciteRevolutionData@UnitRecord@@Q BENXZ + 0xa]
          0x004e3703 [?GetReadinessCost@Player@@QBEJXZ + 0x15]
          0x008941f9 [?ComputeBestMilitaryReadiness@Governor@@QBEJXZ + 0xa8]
          0x008996ec [?BeginTurn@CtpAi@@SAXJ@Z + 0x29f]
          0x00535529 [?GEVHookCallback@BeginTurnEvent@@EAE?AW4GAME_EVENT _HOOK_DISPOSITION@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGameEventArgLi st@@@Z + 0x90]
          0x005bab3f [?Run@GameEventHook@@AAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@AAViter ator@?$list@UNode@GameEventHook@@V?$allocator@UNod e@GameEventHook@@@std@@@std@@PAVGameEventArgList@@ AAJ@Z + 0x63]
          0x005baad6 [?Activate@GameEventHook@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@PA VGameEventArgList@@JAAJ@Z + 0x7e]
          0x005bb6ca [?ActivateHook@GameEventManager@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ ERR@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGameEventArgList@@JAAJ@Z + 0x3a]
          0x005b93f4 [?Process@GameEvent@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@AAH@Z + 0x2f]
          0x005bb528 [?ProcessHead@GameEventManager@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_E RR@@XZ + 0x33]
          0x005bb4cb [?Process@GameEventManager@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@ XZ + 0x7b]
          0x005bb440 [?ArglistAddEvent@GameEventManager@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVE NT_ERR@@W4GAME_EVENT_INSERT@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGame EventArgList@@@Z + 0x13d]
          0x005bb2f5 [?AddEvent@GameEventManager@@QAA?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@ @W4GAME_EVENT_INSERT@@W4GAME_EVENT@@ZZ + 0xe5]
          0x0043e3b2 [?dh_endTurn@@YAXPAVDQAction@@PAVSequence@@W4DHEXEC UTE@@@Z + 0x3c]
          0x0043820b [?HandleNextAction@Director@@QAEXXZ + 0xfb]
          0x004380ab [?Process@Director@@QAEXXZ + 0x25]
          0x0040ed06 [?ProcessUI@CivApp@@QAEJKAAK@Z + 0x22c]
          0x0040f025 [?Process@CivApp@@QAEJXZ + 0xa7]
          0x00407dd0 [?CivMain@@YGHPAUHINSTANCE__@@0PADH@Z + 0x3b6]
          0x00407847 [WinMain@16 + 0x74]
          0x008a806c [WinMainCRTStartup + 0x134]
          0x7c816d4f [__onexitbegin + 0x7bc71217]
          thanks
          Last edited by Martin Gühmann; May 22, 2008, 17:44.

Comment

ok I have a new build out and now its in RAR format to save me 1MB.

in sig as always

Comment

playtest readme

Also I did (the best I could) some needed over due updating to the playtest readme attached here.
              Attached Files

Comment

First game with Rev 543, crashed twice so far, both recovered okay from the Autosave. This was on a recent copy of Playtest 1, with a installation of the playtest 10-23-05 on top of it and I forgot to set Enablelogs to yes the first time it happened. So here is the last Crash.txt - turn 161:

0x004cbbc0 [?GameObj_Delete@@YAJPAPAVGAMEOBJ@@K@Z + 0xe7]
                0x00484354 [?Key@ObjPool@@ABEKK@Z + 0x4]
                0x005021f3 [?GetSoundSelect2Index@UnitRecord@@QBEJXZ + 0x13]
                0x004feae0 [?NearestFriendlyCity@Unit@@QBEHAAVMapPoint@@@Z + 0xdb]
                0x004fe84e [?GetDisplayName@Unit@@QBE?AV?$basic_string@DU?$cha r_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@XZ + 0x125]
                0x0048ef82 [?Bombard@ArmyData@@QAE?AW4ORDER_RESULT@@ABVMapPoin t@@@Z + 0x630]
                0x00495864 [?ExecuteSpecialOrder@ArmyData@@QAEHPAVOrder@@AAH@Z + 0x2cd]
                0x004903fa [?ExecuteOrders@ArmyData@@QAEH_N@Z + 0x3e5]
                0x0048fec6 [?ClearOrders@ArmyData@@QAEXXZ + 0x0]
                0x0048f50d [?AddOrders@ArmyData@@QAEXW4UNIT_ORDER_TYPE@@@Z + 0xa]
                0x0049c5df [?GEVHookCallback@ArmySueOrderEvent@@EAE?AW4GAME_EV ENT_HOOK_DISPOSITION@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGameEventAr gList@@@Z + 0x24]
                0x005bab3f [?AddCallback@GameEventHook@@QAEXPAVGameEventHookCa llback@@W4GAME_EVENT_PRIORITY@@@Z + 0xa]
                0x005baad6 [??1GameEventHook@@UAE@XZ + 0x23]
                0x005bb6ca [?Process@GameEventManager@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@ XZ + 0x2a]
                0x005b93f4 [yygrowstack + 0x4]
                0x005bb528 [?AddEvent@GameEventManager@@QAA?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@ @W4GAME_EVENT_INSERT@@W4GAME_EVENT@@ZZ + 0xc8]
                0x005bb4cb [?AddEvent@GameEventManager@@QAA?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@ @W4GAME_EVENT_INSERT@@W4GAME_EVENT@@ZZ + 0x6b]
                0x0040f081 [?Process@CivApp@@QAEJXZ + 0x103]
                0x00407dd0 [?CivMain@@YGHPAUHINSTANCE__@@0PADH@Z + 0x3b6]
                0x00407847 [WinMain@16 + 0x74]
                0x008a806c [isatty + 0x39e]
                0x77e814c7 [__onexitbegin + 0x772dbacf]

And since it was a recent copy, that was the reason that I couldn't find UC088.tga (Playtest 1 does not have it and no reason to set EnableLogs to Yes since it hardly ever crashed) - forgot to install the latest playtest from 2005.10.23. (which has it) before I installed Rev 543 a couple of days ago. Didn't think about that until I unzipped the two files into the cursors directory and restarted the game and started getting all sorts of errors after that, even with Rev 538, which I knew it started okay, so I knew I did something wrong, so I just retraced my steps and updated like it should be. Was doing a little directory rearranging so I could reinstall a fresh copy of CTP2 with just patch 1.11 so I could try out AOM.
                Last edited by Fugi the Great; February 17, 2006, 07:35.
                What do I think of Western civilization? I think it would be a very good idea.
                Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Thanks Fugi,

The problem may be in my bombard code (again ) but to check can you posta save?

As for AoM and CtP2..its quite possible that its now compatible with the playtest. I've been talking to stan about it and I havent heard recently but i think he got it working with AoM3

Comment

I put a 544 build in my sig I think I fixed the bombard bug fugi

Comment

rev551 paytest build is up and I'm hoping Fugi can break it

I included a zip with the *.cdb files, the are database files and say what the latest flags are. Also I included the latest playtest readme.

Comment

I did a rev552 build,

what i did this time was:
                        - PopCostsToBuild flag takes and integer so now you can have units cost 1 or more populationpoints to build. I havent updated the warning message though so it will disband cities

- EnablesVeterans for building.txt if you have a building in a city with this flg your units will start as veterans, like civ3

- citystyle bonus (Food, Gold, Production) differnt city styles can have bonuses and percentages (+ or - ) along with Martin's Happy Inc is like civ unique traits but they stay with the culture of the city. A bit cooler I think so you can capture civs with a more productive populace and use that culture trait for your own (I do intend to also have civ traits, tried repeatedly)

I'm attaching the readme so people can browse everything thats been done with the code.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Downloading 552 as I write this, get to it fairly shortly.

Don't know why you say "I'm hoping Fugi can break it". Shouldn't it be just the exact opposite, where you hope I can make it all the way through without finding or having any problems? That way we can finally get an "official" playtest release, since we are a little overdue for one.
                          What do I think of Western civilization? I think it would be a very good idea.
                          Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Fugi the Great
                            Downloading 552 as I write this, get to it fairly shortly.

Don't know why you say "I'm hoping Fugi can break it". Shouldn't it be just the exact opposite, where you hope I can make it all the way through without finding or having any problems? That way we can finally get an "official" playtest release, since we are a little overdue for one.
                            Just being sarcastic. I hope it has no bugs but you've been a great playtester and by breaing it I mean where as when i play a few hundred turns and get no crashes, something you do has been able to uncover a bug or two and thereby bring it to our attention and make the platest better.

I did find two things in 552 that i have to fix, one is my enablesgood code somewhere i deactivated and i think i fixed it. the other is the AI fortifying settlers, so i recommend removing canentrench from units.txt until i figure out why the ai does that.

but here's hoping that everything else goes well!

Comment

Hi E
                              Just want to know can I add all the updated files-E diplomod-E tiles-E Civ3 and CtP2 Rev build 552 into the lastest playtest 10-23 05.
                              Finishing up a game.After that a fresh install so I know that there will be no problems. Want to see how the AI holds up with the new changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X