Cannot locate the DVD-ROM / Please insert correct DVD-ROM error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot locate the DVD-ROM / Please insert correct DVD-ROM error

Hey there. I recently got the DVD version of Civ-4, installed it on my system with no problems, and went ahead to play till 2 in the morning (Addictive Game). But today, whenever I try to start up the game (even from the Auto-Run menu) it comes up with a message saying

Cannot locate the DVD-ROM

Please insert the correct DVD-ROM, Select OK and restart application.

If it can find the DVD to auto-run the start-up menu how come it can't find it when trying to start the Game?!

Civ4.com's support page only had help for the CD-ROM version of the game, saying that some discs had been misprinted as the Play Disc and to use the other one.

The thing is that there is only one DVD!

Please help.

Tells me to check DirectX and graphics...what the hell!

Any help would be nice, thanks. This game played great with my old 64mb video card so whats up. I made sure the card was for my comps port.
    Cossacks Rock!

Comment

Re: Cannot locate the DVD-ROM / Please insert correct DVD-ROM error

Originally posted by A Confused Guy
      Please help.
      A no-CD/DVD patch may be just the thing you need.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR, you're a frakking moderator...
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

This also happens to me now.... not sure if my CD somehow got damaged but I have to restart the app about 5 times before it runs Civ4.

If have the regular CD version. Autorun works everytime I open and close the tray, and windows has no problems seeing or reading the disk. Still says "Cannot locate the CD-ROM"

At the moment it's just a mild annoyance but if it conks out completely I will be deeply miffed.
          ...and I begin to understand that there are no new paths to track, because, look, there are already footprints on the moon. -- Kerkorrel

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            UR, you're a frakking moderator...
            Solver, I see absolutely nothing wrong with a no-CD patch, as long as you own the game.

At times it is the only way to fix a problem. Alpha Centauri stopped working on my old computer until I patched it.

I loath games with copy protection. It just messes legit users up without even making the professional bootleggers work. You cannot make a copy protection, full stop.

"Trying to make bits uncopyable is like trying to make water unwet." -- Bruce Schneier

The latest Sony fiasco with their harebrained copyright scheme of music CDs that put malware and a backdoor on your PC should tell you something.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR, that just isn't relevant here. I love copy protection programs no more than you do. Most of them put legal users at a disadvantage, yes. I've only had serious issues with two games because of CD protection, but still.

However... you're a mod, so am I. And we both know very well that CD cracks and similar utlities are not allowed on Apolyton. And mods should be the ones to enforce the rules, not break them.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
              X