Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha Centauri intro movie

I hope someone can help me:
    how can I convert the SMAC intro movie in a 'standard' format (i.e. '.avi format') so I can see it with a movie player like windows media player?
    Or, alternatively, if someone has this movie, please, does he want to send it to me?

Thank in advance for your answers.

10lire, perhaps try using the Wing Commander Movie Player:

I've had some success converting the SMAC movies to .avi format, but the SMAC format is still a bit tricky it seems.

Comment

Rubin, I tried using that player to rip out movies to avi but the player does not seem to recognize smac movies as valid files, and when inputting them manually, it freezes. Can you perhaps explain me step by step although it seems to be a rather simply procedure?
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Illuminatus, I think the trick is to rename the SMAC movie to .tgv format and then load it into the Wing Commander Movie Player.

Did this help?

Comment

For the record, I just downloaded this utility and it plays the movies fine, so long as I rename the SMAC/X movies to .tgv format, just as Rubin says. I used DosBox to do this.

I was also able to rip the renamed movies into .avi form (uncompressed, at a whopping 500 megs a pop), which played fine.

I actually have a technical question of my own, but related to sound files. In particular, I'm trying to replace a few of the fac.wav files with unused .wavs found in the voices folder. (The older skyfarm audible, the older holotheater, etc.) However, in-game they refuse to play when the appropriate facility is built, and all is silence. What could be the problem?
          "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

I believe I know what is the problem (I am trying to do the same thing for Apolyton Pack). File format of unused audio files is mp3 so you will need to convert it to wav.

Thanks Rubin, I'll try it tommorow.
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Actually, when I peeked in the folder is seems the reverse is true: The normal files are mp3, the unused ones I was attempting to use are the .wavs

I tried using CDex to convert the .wav files to mp3 but after the conversion they played garbled static. Am I doing something wrong? Or should I use a different utility?
              "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

I was able to convert them in the past. Let me check if I still have them on my hard drive and I will attach them here then.
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Yes please, that would much appreciated.

Comment

Ok, I got them uploaded and rar'd, ready to link here, but I don't seem able to find a link in the thumbnail section of my upload space.

Pictures no problem, but .rar extensions don't show links.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

That's odd, never happened with any .rar files I personally attach.

Well, I guess you could always rename the attachment to some other extension then after I download it I'd rename it back.

Comment

I'll just make 3 posts here with every sound file attached.

Old Centauri Preserve file:
                        Last edited by GeoModder; February 13, 2010, 15:54.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Ballade of Sky Farm 3
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

And something for a holo-theater.

Sorry mods, but the files were to big to attach them in one folder.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Well, they played fine on the desktop with winamp.

In-game however, the files played in SUPER sl-o-o-o-o-ow motion, with a distorted, baritone, elongated voice and everything.

I guess I'll try recoding them.

Comment

Working...
                              X