Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you liking coastal starts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you liking coastal starts..

Did you know that you can build the Great Lighthouse /before/ a lighthouse is built - it just has to be part built in your production queue. This is with 1.52 installed, & I haven't yet tried it for other wonders

I was hoping to give you a screenshot, but I can't find where it's been put ATM..
    Dom 8-)

Re: For those of you liking coastal starts..

Originally posted by snafuc4
    Did you know that you can build the Great Lighthouse /before/ a lighthouse is built - it just has to be part built in your production queue. This is with 1.52 installed, & I haven't yet tried it for other wonders

I was hoping to give you a screenshot, but I can't find where it's been put ATM..

How do you get it part built in your production queue without having built a lighthouse?

More details please.

RJM at Sleeper's
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Re: Re: For those of you liking coastal starts..

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers

How do you get it part built in your production queue without having built a lighthouse?

More details please.

RJM at Sleeper's
      He means you only need a part built regular lighthouse to start work on the Great Lighthouse.

Comment

Must the partly built lighthouse be in the same city as Great Light, or can it be another city?

- C
        "He [Caligula] has no more chance of becoming Emperor than of riding a horse across the Gulf of Baiae" - contemporary astrologer

Comment

I think I accidentally tried this before (wiht 1.09). Or wiat, it was something similar.

I selected to build a lighthouse. Then I added the Great Lighthouse to the queue, but instead of pressing shift I pressed CTRL so it put the GL before the Lighthouse.

End result was, next turn, I was wondering why the heck my city was building a lighthouse and not the GL, till I figured out after a few turns that I was pressing ctrl instead of shift.

Comment

Surely that's venturing into the realm of cheating though?

Comment

Or not cheating

Originally posted by rrs_racer
              Surely that's venturing into the realm of cheating though?
              It seems to be logical that you would build one big lighthouse rather than need to build a small lighthouse first.

Unless the idea is that the standard lighthouse is just a scale model of the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligula 37 AD
                Must the partly built lighthouse be in the same city as Great Light, or can it be another city?
                Since the lighthouse is a same-city prereq of the GL, I'd imagine it would have to be in the same city, but I haven't yet checked..
                Dom 8-)

Comment

Re: Re: Re: For those of you liking coastal starts..

Originally posted by Nacht
                  He means you only need a part built regular lighthouse to start work on the Great Lighthouse.
                  Yup; that's what I found
                  Dom 8-)

Comment

I can confirm that this is true of Great Library/Library too: part-build (by 1 turn) a library, then add the GLib to the top of the queue

HOWEVER, this is not such a critical bug/exploit as I thought previously: on the next turn the wonder build is cancelled (removed from the queue), & any accrued hammers /appear/ to be lost (so you can't cheat by constantly MMing & switching back to the wonder build every turn), but I haven't fully tested this yet
                    Last edited by snafuc4; January 13, 2006, 09:02.
                    Dom 8-)

Comment

I too have seen a similar effect with Supermarket and its prereq Grosary (or is it Market, I forget). The game prompted me the supermarket could not be built, but the hammers (with modifiers) was carried over to the next build.

I did this routine for 10+ turns in the same city, and got some 400 hammers carry over. I think it was with v1.52, but not certain as I upgraded in the middle of the game.

This might be an exploit, as you could start this routine some turns before you discover a tech for a Wonder. When the tech is discovered, you are already well on your way to build it.

I did not have any wonders coming soon in the game this happened to me, so I'm not 100% sure the hammers can be used for Wonders. I ended up building a battleship.

Will this be cheating??
                      (Who's to make the rules of that, anyway?)

- Cal
                      "He [Caligula] has no more chance of becoming Emperor than of riding a horse across the Gulf of Baiae" - contemporary astrologer

Comment

Ah good, the bit about the build-cancel + hammer refund finally got mentioned. This is a huge bug, not an exploit.

It's especially bad if you burn a Great Engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligula 37 AD
                          I too have seen a similar effect with Supermarket and its prereq Grosary (or is it Market, I forget). The game prompted me the supermarket could not be built, but the hammers (with modifiers) was carried over to the next build.

- Cal
                          Supermarket?? Is there some new national wonder I did not know about tied to having lots of Grocers?

Are you talking about Wall Street?
                          "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

No, it's not a wonder, it's that thing you get to build when you discover Refrigeration. And you don't need a lot of Grocers (or Markets, or whatever the preq was), just one in the city where you want the supermarket. Like library is needed for university.

Comment

It's one of those techs that come after Cavalry.
                              You don't need to worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X