My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Impressions

Just a little background on my interest in Civilization.

My love for this kind of game goes back to Utopia on the Intellivision game system. I remember designing my own game on paper in middle school. I have played countless versions of these games, but in my mind, the Civ series is the best. My play style treats the game more like a simulation than a game. I find it hard to go to war againts Civs that are friends to me, even if it would help me to win the game. Ultimately, i am not looking for victory. I wish the game would continue on with new discoveries, but I know its got to end at some point.

Here's my thoughts on Civ 4

Overall:
    So far I like the game, but dissappointed on a couple of things.

The good:

The look and feel of the game is awesome. Graphics are not what gets me to buy a game, but I find I am impressed with civ 4. I love the spherical earth. My only bag is some of the resources are hard to see.

The interface is better in many aspects. I love how I can get most of the information I need just by pointing.

Religion is a big plus for me. The real world is affected so much by religion, it is the one thing that was missing out of the other versions of the game. My bag with religion however is it seems to play such a small role in the game. My expectations were that the AI would go to war with me over religion, but I haven't seen it yet.

The music. I like it. The opening song is great.

The bad:

The pace is too fast. This has been my beef with all the Civ games, but Civ 4 seems even worse. Why have all these cool units if they are just going to be outdated by something else 10 turns later? What is the point of starting the game in 4000BC if by the time you built anything to really do anything, it is already 500AD?

Unlimted research doesn't make sense. How can you build a battleship before you invent paper? I'm not saying bring back the forced eras from Civ3, but require more pre reqs or something.

Caravels can't carry settlers? Tell that to the Mayflower. Or was the Mayflower a Galleon? Civ3's 3 levels of ocean were way better than Civ 4.

Wonder Movies! Yeah, I missed them too, but the wonder movies in Civ2 were interesting. I think Firaxis missed the point. Yeah, we want movies, but make them intersting, not just a CG build up of the building in question. Once you seen one, you seen them all.

The Ugly:

So much of the other incarnations of civilization have been hacked away, this game seems a bit barren. Instead of taking out the palace, make it better. I have thoughts on this, but will post them at a later time. The new avatars look great, but I like the way the ones in Civ 3 changed their look over time. Those kind of things just add flavor. I hope the expansions will bring some of this back.
    The Rook

About religion - it actually DOES play quite a big part in the game, I think you'll come to notice that.

First, it affects your relations with other civs; you receive a bonus for sharing the same state religion with another civilization, and also there's a difference in how important different leaders view religion; Isabella of Spain for example is notoriously religion-centric; she hates all heathens!

Secondly, by founding a religion, and building it's holy building in the city you founded it (you need to use a great prophet for that), you increase the chance that your religion will spontaniously spread to other cities, yours and other civilization's, and you gain intel to those cities and their surroundings, and receive one gold per turn for every city with that religion.

This can have a significant financial impact, allowing you to maintain high research levels, and/or covering costs from expansion.

Founding a religion early on in the game can be very beneficial also because chances are, it'll spread to your closest opponent's civilization(s), and they are likely to convert... giving you a bonus in diplomatic relations. Very useful, if you have several nations you share border with, to be on good terms with at least one or two of them.

Then there are of course the civics that give bonuses in cities with the state religion.

About Unlimted research - how can you build a battleship before you invent paper? Using computers of course!

Seriously, I do agree that there are some requirements that should probably be added to some techs for realism's sake.

Finally your complaint that the pace is too fast:

If you haven't downloaded the latest patch, do so now - the patch adds a "marathon" mode, that's excellent, and I think it's probably just what you've been looking for. You actually now can have wars with earlier units, without them becomming obsolete before they reach the enemy!
    Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Yeah, I read a thread about Marathon mode. My mouth is watering. I am going to abandon my current game so i can start a new one. I was losing anyway. I got stuck on an island with bot Montezuma and Alexander who have both decided I am scum and I have been at perpetual war ever since.

You are right that religion plays a big part in the game mechanics and I have noticed that isabella has a strong hatred toward those of other religions. Still though, if you look at our real history, relgion is ingrained in everything we do and it's often not for the better. We had the crusades, the Spanish inquisition, Ireland's war with Britian, the whole Israel thing. Even Hitler's persecution of the Jews has a basis in religion.

I guess what I want is a Civ to just come right out and say, Convert or Die! Maybe it's my settings. Perhaps in more advanced games, they are a little more agressive.
      The Rook

Comment

Oh yes, on higher difficulties they will actually say "Convert or die"

I've even had my refusal start a war, like the old civ3 way.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Yeah, I read a thread about Marathon mode. My mouth is watering. I am going to abandon my current game so i can start a new one. I was losing anyway. I got stuck on an island with bot Montezuma and Alexander who have both decided I am scum and I have been at perpetual war ever since.

You are right that religion plays a big part in the game mechanics and I have noticed that isabella has a strong hatred toward those of other religions. Still though, if you look at our real history, relgion is ingrained in everything we do and it's often not for the better. We had the crusades, the Spanish inquisition, Ireland's war with Britian, the whole Israel thing. Even Hitler's persecution of the Jews has a basis in religion.

I guess what I want is a Civ to just come right out and say, Convert or Die! Maybe it's my settings. Perhaps in more advanced games, they are a little more agressive.
          The Rook

Comment

Working...
          X