Vietnam war 1964-1965

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnam war 1964-1965

Ok, I've done most of the scenario, it's the event texts that bothering me, I don't know why the event's won't work, so I was wondering if someone could help me

Just the negotiation between all civs needs to be barred, I keep trying it and it won't work.
    Attached Files

Sorry I meant 75

Comment

I have no idea why there is an error message when you start the scen but the following works perfectly if you don't want any negotiation whatsoever:

@BEGINEVENTS

@IF
      NEGOTIATION
      talker=Anybody
      talkertype=HumanOrComputer
      listener=Anybody
      listenertype=HumanOrComputer
      @THEN
      @ENDIF

@ENDEVENTS

The above is courtesy of Cyrion's scen POMARJ where it stops all attempts at negotiation.

Your scen looks interesting. Good map and units. I hope that you will be adding events for the Tet offensive and other major events. Looking forward to it.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Thank you!!

I spent ages on it, then was demoralised by the ****ty events txt, but now it works. Thanks alot man

Updated version
        Attached Files

Comment

Are you sure that you are using the correct RULES file?

The other sections look fine but there are no entries for the various civs in your scen in the section of RULES that deals with civs and leaders.

As the various .sav and .scn files have the right civ info, somewhere there must be a correct RULES file.

EDIT: Cross post.

Comment

have you got the proper rules file I could use?

Comment

Sorry but no , that is beyond my skills. All I know is that your civs must appear in the RULES file.

How did you get the civ/leader info into the .scn file? The game editor?

Maybe one of the many knowledgeable designers who frequent this forum can give you a hand.

Comment

I do remember the errors occuring you know when you're designing the game and sometimes the units come up as wonders etc, so I changed the rules manually, I knew I deleted something by accident, however I thought I fixed it. No wonder the events were foulin' up.

Anyway, does anyone have any better names for the Units in my scen? They were pretty bog standard since I don't have much of an imagination :P Any suggestions welcome

Comment

I downloaded your scenario to try and help you out a little. I understand this is an early version, but some info beforehand would be nice. I have no idea which civ this is designed for, but I started as the US.

Current lackings with suggestions for improvment
                  -In a scenario such as the Vietnam war I reckon extensive use of events would be the best way to represent the war. Right now there are zero events handling the game play. Only one event disalowing negotiation. Again, from what you wrote I understand this is an early version, and that you had some problems with the Events. But you should at least represent the most famous offenses. I also suggest a lot of killed units, then create units events. If not the war against the NFL will be over pretty quickly. I didn't play more then to turn 2, but I would imagine as they can't replace units as quick as they build them.
                  -It would also be nice if you could fill up all the unit slots, and try to avoid familiar troubled slots, such as the Knight and the Musketeer. If you don't know what to use them on, there are many other nationalities you could include: New Zealand, Thailand, Philipenes. I see you alrady have Australians and South Koreans.
                  -I think the phantoms should have a longer range. I didn't realise it was a range 1 aircraft right away and lost it due to fuel. With double the movement I could do some actual damage, and still be able to return to base.
                  -To simulate the extensive use of helicopter as a mean of troop transport throughout the jungle, maybe all american units could get the paratroop flag, making them able to jump a couple of squares?
                  -You must do something about the wonders, as the AI starts building Pyramids etc on turn 2. You can build all these wonders yourself as well.

Game play observations
                  -On the first turn the Vietcong carried out a lot of suicide attacks, from Cambodia. I easily repelled these attacks with the hueys, effectively neutralising the turn 1 offensive.
                  -What do you intend to use the Cartagnians for? Maybe a US Air Force Civ to handle the Rolling Thunder? Right now this seems pretty abstracted. Although most air strikes came out of US bases in Thailand I would suggest to have it either in Laos somewere or at a fictional island in the South Chinese Sea, so the units would actually attack North Vietnam, and not the NLF forces in S. Vietnam. As it is now, the B-52 can hardly reach South North vietnam, even from the northern most US airbase, as it only has a movement of 15. The least you could do is do raise it's movement to around 25-30.
                  -What would I need to take out the Camoflage traps? They are pretty damn hard to kill.

Alternative sollutions suggestions
                  -Instead of building units yourself, why not use real life order of battles? And then use events to reinforce with units as they came in real life?
                  -Shouldn't I as USA have a carrier fleet or something to bomb North Vietnam with for Operation Rolling Thunder?
                  -It would also be neat to have some special ops soldiers behind enemy lines in the north.

Possible bugs:
                  -There's an american settler floating midseas at 49,37.
                  -There's a N.Vietnamese B-52 at 20,2.
                  -The Americans and the Cambodians have the same shield colour (dark blue).

Ok, these are only some initial obsercations. Hope this has been of any help! This scenario has great potential and I urge everyone to download and try it out!
                  Last edited by Eivind IV; January 9, 2006, 09:32.
                  Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Can anyone help me in relation to the rules being fixed so I can do events?

Comment

I'm a little unclear on what you want fixed. AFAIK, leader information is stored in the SAV or SCN file. It can be put there by using the cheat menu, which I suspect is the method that you used. Once it's there, I don't think it matters what's in the Rules.txt.

I don't know whether the lines consisting of "." in Events.txt are a problem. They're not needed, though.

Just let us know specifically what problem you want to solve, and be patient if you need to repeat yourself for those of us who don't always read threads thoroughly.
                      El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

I don't know whether the lines consisting of "." in Events.txt are a problem. They're not needed, though.
                        The "." was my evidently hard to understand attempt to represent any other events that might be in the file.

Comment

etc., etc., and so forth

Agricola, Agricola, ...

After inserting a few lines with periods only in my Events file, I encountered no problems loading my scenario.
                          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Working...
                          X