Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diplomatic Victory

Originally posted by tsathougga
    sometimes I have nations that are pleased with me abstain or vote agianst me and sometimes nations who are only neutral will vote for me.
    I would do the same. Not because I have anything against you but because you would win and I would lose. Is this perhaps how the AI reasonates, too?

Question: What happens when one abstains? Do the votes of others then count 'more'? (If not, diplomatic victory would be practically impossible in multiplayer).

Comment

Originally posted by bhalrog
      I've found that Diplomatic is the easiest way to win, for me anyway. I just have about 10-15 cities (five quickly, then slowly add the rest), have lots of culture, and don't be afraid to offer tech's and resources as gifts. You may also need to convert and/or cancel deals with some civ's in order to prevent abstentions or civ's voting against you.
      Are you playing on huge maps? (I always do and never been able to win a diplo victory...and it is always close to my space race victory so I only get 2 or 3 chances)

Comment

I won by giving frequent, favorable trades to the most populus nations and less frequent, favorable trades to the smallest ones.

I also found that I got a big jump in votes by passing the Free Religion resolution as all of the penalties (per the Foreign Advisor) for "Falling under the sway of a heathen religion" disappear.

I went to war zero times, and lost no units the entire game (lucky map position I guess, no need to fight for land).

I only had 1/3 of the world population with seven civs when I did this. No one voted against me, just a few abstentions.

Edit: Also, the worst attitude anyone had towards me was 'Friendly'

Comment

I had a few diplomatic victories on epic mode, first u gotta get a religion, spread ur religion to ur neigbors, then go to war "succesfully..using ur friends help" with civs that dont have ur religion. then by the time the UN is built the civs that had most of their land conquered wont have much of a vote, and ur freinds that share u ur religion will vote for u, if u have the highest score.

Comment

I tried the diplomatic victory and if you are significantly ahead in civ size and working on future tech you will eventually gain enough points to win the game this way. It was taking too long and I started a new game.

Comment

Rather ironically, a diplomatic victory is the only one I have been able to manage! I seem to find peace works better than war, and on a large map with 9 civs playing I never went to war once, despite us all starting on the same continent.

I kept ahead on tech, trading in to fill in gaps, and gave out techs I didn't deem harmful - ie those that gave opponents access to my civics for example. Also, happily traded and gifted excess resources.

Very similar to NapalmStrike's answer earlier (who seems to have an ironic name for winning diplomatic victories)

I played civ since the first one back in the days where 3.5inch floppy disks were revolutionary and always found war easy until now. How on earth do you successfully win a war on another civ? (I can just about kill off the barbarians .. with a bit of luck).

Comment

wow, I find war, along with many others, the easiest way to go against AI's. However, I have had a lot of sucess with Diplo. Either get 50% population, or just spread religion like crazy.

Usually though, I just like to blow every other civ up.
                "The surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere out in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us"

Comment

I've one several times by diplomatic victory. Once it was me and the French and we were at war, so I won, because the votes I needed, I had ...

Comment

I've only been playing the game for a few months, but I did get one Dipomatic Victory. I was Greece, and I took out Japan. Mongolia took out Aztec. I had a hug empire and made a permanent alliance with Persia. America was a very dependent on us, and so he was a very good friend. With that, there was only Mongolia, who I was destroying, and Russia, who was a friend. So, of course that victory was mine.
                    It is your concern when your neighbor's wall is on fire.

Comment

Well, actually you can make others vote for you by offering them good deals such as giving them new technologies which you think are safe as gift and keeping on trading with them. This will help a lot. Also try to say yes to there demands as long as they do not cross your bottomline. You have to do it continuously. Once Washington and I were the competitors, and I tried very hard and finally persuaded Mongolia to vote for me. Before Mongolia were helping Washington all the time. However, if Mongolia's status becomes friendly to Washington, there won't be any chance. So this should plan early and never try to mad a permanent alliance when there are still several strong opponents outside, making it with one, others will be upset.

Comment

I've done it a few times without having enough votes by myself. The trick is to find the ones who already like you a little, bribe them a lot, then get them to go to war with your opponent. They'll be a lot more likely to vote for you if they are at war (or have been at war) with your opponent. Be careful not to have weak civs that are bordering your opponent go to war, though, as they may get conquered and end up with their votes added to your enemy.

If someone has good relations with your enemy, you can pretty much write off ever having them vote for you. Depopulate or conquer them. If they have a neighbor who is friendly to you, give them their cities.

Comment

How man votes would you get from your vassal. You get half there population for domination victory, but what about diplomatic.
                          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                          The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by NapalmStrk
                            I also found that I got a big jump in votes by passing the Free Religion resolution as all of the penalties (per the Foreign Advisor) for "Falling under the sway of a heathen religion" disappear.
                            The problem with that is, everyone likes you more, but everyone like everyone else more as well, so it dosn't really help you.

One fun trick I pulled off once (not to give myself a diplomatic victory, but to stop someone else from getting it after I foolishly built the UN when I shouldn't have) was as a spiritual culture. First I switched to org religion and a religion almost no one had. Then I bribed the #2 guy in the world (who was the UN secretary general, and who appeared to be about to win a diplo victory at any moment) to switch to that minor religion. Then, 5 turns later, I switched to free religion. Suddenly, everyone hated him for his religion, but everyone liked me again.

Comment

First time I played Civ 4, I got a diplomatic victory unintentionally. There were 6 other civs and I had very good relations with all of them but America. I had about 40% of the population and only engaged in wars twice, against Japan (eliminated early in the game) and America (having the support of three other civs against them).

Since the only civs eligible were mine (Indian), America (which had a historic of wars with almost every other civ) and France (low culture and a few wars with other civs), it was rather easy to win.

Comment

Also try changing your religion to that of the majority, for example, If you are Christian, your opponent Taoist, and everyone else Confuscianist, change to confucianism!

Comment

Working...
                                X