Diplomatic Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomatic Victory

Ok I just beat the game via Cultural Victory after having done so with Space and Domination. My question is can you win a Diplomatic Victory agianst the AI? I have gotten within 300 or so votes of winning before and that was with playing totally non-agressively (my first attempt at a cultural victory) but usually I never even come that close.

Is there some way to bribe or cajole another nation into voting for you? It seems oddly random now as sometimes I have nations that are pleased with me abstain or vote agianst me and sometimes nations who are only neutral will vote for me.

the nations voting against you are either ones loving your opponent of just favoring him because they hate you. the only thing you can do in such cases is conquering them, if you think that declaring war won't spoil your relationships with the nations that are currently on your side
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

The few times I have won a diplomatic victory, was when I had enough votes myself to win the election... after having done so a few times (without any chance of the AI coming close to winning the diplo-victory) I decided to turn it off...
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

You also need to take into account the AI relations with each other. If someone is neutral towards you but the alternative is their 'most hated enemy' then they may vote for you.
        "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
        Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

I just won my first diplomatic victory last night. I founded Buddhism and spread my religion all over the world. When everyone had converted (either through choice or bribery), I proposed the diplomatic victory and won. But still, it's definitely one of the harder victories, IMO.

One question I have is, where's the victory movie? Maybe it was just a mess up but I didn't get any movie at the end, it just went straight to the summary screens. I was bummed about that.
          One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
          "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

Yeah the "Victory movie" if you can call it a movie, is the screen where all the other leaders heads are around yours, you probably didn't even notice it. Pretty lame, huh?

As for info on Diplo Victories I remember a great post on it in the Strategy section, but I have lost track of it.

Comment

I've gotten within 40 votes the real way.

Or you can do it the fake way and control about 50% of the world's population, and it's real easy.

Comment

My first game was a diplomatic victory.

Small world with only 5 civs and I had high culture and had given out a lot of free techs and trade favorable to the others, and then went for diplomatic victory after first winning the vote on several other items.

I think only one civ voted against it, though another might have abstained.
                Blog | Art / Writing

Comment

I've won several diplos with help from the AI. THe key is to find a group early and stay friends with them. Ask them who they like and don't like and behave accordingly. The problem I've had is when my best AI friend becomes the rival in the elections. Or, playing with permanent alliances a coulple of your best ai buddies become one, and then they are you rival in elections.

I've also had it where I found the people who hated me the least and I start giving them stuff, lot's of gold per turn, extra resources, tech sometimes. After a while, they will start to vote for me to win. The civs who vote for you for SG are good candidates for this.

Comment

I go with the "Control 50% of the world's population" method. Works well.

Comment

I won my first diplomatic victory just today. Cyrus was my "opponent" for many sessions and the contest always ended in a stalement. Eventually, I gave up and started passing other resolutions.

Things changed, however, when Catherine's population exceeded Cyrus'. I had run out of resolutions that I wanted passed so I simply tried the diplo win option again. Since Catherine was not very well loved, I won an easy victory.

Comment

I've found that Diplomatic is the easiest way to win, for me anyway. I just have about 10-15 cities (five quickly, then slowly add the rest), have lots of culture, and don't be afraid to offer tech's and resources as gifts. You may also need to convert and/or cancel deals with some civ's in order to prevent abstentions or civ's voting against you.

Comment

I used to think that the Diplo victory would be hard to achieve and unsatisfying to boot, but I've changed my mind on it after achieving it a few times.

The first time I got a diplo victory, it really was a domination victory where I voted myself into diplo victory a few moves before the expansion of my cultural borders would have ensured domination.

But the other times I've won it, I've actually won it "genuinely". Surpricingly though, I've not won a diplo victory in any game where I tried to avoid wars.

I think that, as mentioned, it's important to get in a "team"; typically, I've found that the world will split into two major "factions" + maybe one or two nations that don't fit either 100%. You should be friendly with countries of one of these factions, and be a "team-player" in it, joining wars against the other faction, trading, making defence pacts, etc.

Also, I tend to give small gifts in gold to my friends every now and then; gives a bonus to relations, and doesn't cost you much.

Then just, very diplomatically, beat the other "team" to pulp. Pound them low enough in the scoring and power that their votes won't weight too heavily. If possible and convenient, give control over a city you just conquered over to an ally, and if the city that you just conquered was taken from your "team" country earlier, return control over to the city's founding nation.

Also, if your "team-mate" is in trouble, and losing cities in a war, send troops to help him out.

If your opponent in the diplo victory election looks to be one of the other members of your "team" of nations, then stay friendly with that nation, but don't spend too much effort in getting them extra happy; give some spoils of war over to the other team members, not your rival to-be.

I usually don't give techs when requested, except when requested by a member of my "team" that's under attack, and would be helped by that tech (In such situations I sometimes volunteer to give the tech, before any requests).

Also, I try to maintain a tech lead, so if someone is very equal tech-wise to me, then I'm less likely to hand over that one tech that is putting me in the lead.
                          Last edited by MightyTiny; January 11, 2006, 13:22.
                          Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Sometimes the right mix of leaders' favorite civic can make it easier for you. With the most recent diplomatic victory I had, the other leaders were Isabella, Huayna Capac, Roosevelt, Elizabeth, Frederick and Cyrus.

Free Religion not only erased the religious penalties, it gave me a bonus with Elizabeth, a seven point swing in attitude. Universal Suffrage put Roosevelt and Frederick on my side. Isabella might have been a problem if she wasn't wiped off the map.

Comment

(shrug) One way to get a diplomatic victory is to be the second strongest civ in the game, and to get all the other AI's on your side allied in a war against the strongest civ at the right moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X