No announcement yet.

Diplomatic Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question, how can i get an election. I built the U.N. and i have good relations with all the civilizations that i haven't destroyed yet. This is the first time i've played civ 4 and i'm still trying to figure it out.

Comment

If you have built the U.N. A vote should come up very soon for secretary-general. You have to win this vote before you can even get an election for diplomatic victory. After you win secretary-general a few turns later another popup box will appear asking what resolution you want to put forth. The top line is diplomatic victory.

Diplo victory is very difficult to achieve. I have yet to do it without owning about 50% of the land and population.

Comment

Are you serious? well i,ve won like ten diplomatic victories so heres what you do. you make sure you control over 50 percent of the world, and the way you do that is, first discover all the civilizations and then build up your army before you declare war. then you have to build the united nations and vote for yourself, it will take a few turns but you should be able to win a diplomatic victory that way.

Comment

That's what he just said!

When I say "just" of course I mean 7 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by famousguy
            Are you serious? well i,ve won like ten diplomatic victories so heres what you do. you make sure you control over 50 percent of the world (...)
            But that takes the diplomacy out of the victory. IMHO it's stupid that to win a diplomatic victory you need to have been at war a lot, which makes it very undiplomatic

IMHO the diplomatic victory should be more like this:

All civs should have a chance at winning through diplomacy, no matter how small those civs are. What matter is how many friends you have (and how few enemies you have) and how great the other civs are (having the civ with the highest score as your friend is better than having two small civs as friends)

When a civ presses the elect world leader button the game calculates the score for all civs based on this:
            For each civ how are XXX towards you, gives you YYY point:
            Friendly: 10
            Pleased: 5
            Cautious: 0
            Angry: -5
            furious: -10

Then based on how high score the other civ has you get a percentage of the above mentioned points. The civs are divided into 3 parts (the top 1/3rd of all civs gives you 100% of the score, the 1/3rd in the middle gives you 50% and the bottom gives you 25%)

Example:
            Civ1 1500 (game score) (friendly towards Civ2, cautious towards Civ3)
            Civ2 1200 (pleased towards Civ1, furious towards Civ3)
            Civ3 1000 (cautious towards Civ1, angry towards Civ2)

Civ1:
            10 points for being friendly with itself (as it's in the top 1/3rd it gets 100% of this score)
            3 points (5 for Civ2 being pleased, but only 50% for being in the middle 1/3rd = 3 points)
            0 points (civ3 is cautious)

Civ2:
            10 points (civ1 friendly... 100%)
            5 points (civ2 friendly towards itself, 50%)
            -1 points (civ3 being angry, 25%)

Civ3:
            0 points (civ1 is cautious)
            -5 points (civ2 is angry, 50%)
            3 points (friend towards itself, 25%)

Civ2 wins with 14 points (having a powerful friend helps the score)
            Civ1 comes in second with 13 points (had Civ2 liked him better he would would won)

You need to win this election 3 times to win the through diplomacy (with at least 10 turns between each election)

/me still wonders why he even writes this stuff, it's not like it'll make any difference at all
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I have won diplo victories, but they are vaguely unsatisfying wins. The game just becomes a popularity contest.

I have also found that building the UN can be dangerous- you might find out too late how much more popular your rival is, and then you can't even have the satisfaction of nuking him because ICBMs have been outlawed.

Comment

I don't like diplo victory.

The main problem in Civ4 is that the AI isn't playing the same game you are...

With diplo victory, it makes NO sense from a strategic perspective to vote to elect anyone else. In a multiplayer game, no one would vote for someone to win, they'd abstain.

It's this bizarre tension that makes civ4 a little weird. You aren't playing completely competitively with the AI...

other examples -- the AI roleplays by pretending to care that you have the same religion or civic setup.

obviously, no competitive player would care about these things. its there for flavor...but it sort of makes civ4 a weird experience.

Comment

I started playing Civ4 recently and was interested to see what's the least number of cities needed to win the game. After managing several cultural victories by building only three cities in each of those games, I pulled off a diplomatic victory with only one city built in the entire game (although it was only at chieftain). I can post the files if anyone is interested.

Comment

There's such a thing as OCC (One City Challenge), so it's in fact possible to win the game with one city only. Some people pull it off at higher difficulties.
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

D:

Hehe, I remember last night I decided to build the U.N. (against my better judgement) and initiated the General voting. It was me, as I was in the lead in points, and Isabella, about 100 points below me. Of course, Everyone hates me, and I've been at war with almost all of them. Mostly over land disputes. (ITS MY CONTINENT! DONT SETTLE HERE!) So, Isabella got all the votes. (except the ones who abstained.) Universal Suffrage and Emancipation got voted in. And that horrible moment of Diplo Victory, She DIDNT win.
                      Yay. So, about 41 turns left, going for a time victory. :P

Comment

OCC at Monarch I've won most of the times I've tried, usually by space race. It isn't hard if you just build a few cottages at the start, then get a lib and start pumping out scientists. Don;t bother with religion. Get the Great Library asap, then philo for pacifism and CoL for caste system. Changing between Caste system and slavery is good if you are Spi to keep on slaving out infrastructure. And Phi is the best trait for OCC because the first few scientists come so quickly.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Diplomatic Victory is the easiest for me, its also the one I got my highest score on 96,188 being Frederick and using a "Chop the forests down as fast as you can and convert everyone to your religion" strategy.

If you get rid of Shaka and Ghengis before the vote, it makes things a lot easier. Just before the final UN vote, you may have to convert to a religion that your main opponent has to put him over the top. As well, just before you start the vote, give away technology until you have none left. (I'm usually very far ahead of everyone by that time)

Actively check to see if you have technology trade opportunities at every turn, but haggle, a lot, which includes squeezing every gold piece out of them.

Comment

I think the Diplomatic Victory is the easiest to have- aside from Time. Generally, when people are Friendly or Pleased towards you they will vote for you. Of course, my last game I was Peter and the other vote was for Mansa Musa. They were Friendly and Pleased with both- but he ended up winning the election- bastard.

So, make friends (who are powerful) and then you will have a victory.
                            It is your concern when your neighbor's wall is on fire.

Comment

I've won Diplo a lot! As others have said, controlling +50% of the population helps. I don't think anyone has said this: if you get to the end and want to win in Diplo, get a bunch of Vassal States. They'll always vote for you to win. I hate having vassals otherwise.

I just got BtS, and I haven't won Diplomatic victory yet. Have they made a video yet, or is it still that boring... thing we saw in Warlords?

Comment

In BTS, if you can vote yourself to victory all on your own (without vassals), the option does not come up anymore, thus making it more true to the ´diplomatic´idea, as opposed to just a pseudo-conquest...

Comment

Working...
                                X