First impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions

So, my girlfriend got Civ IV for Christmas but unfortunately she hasn't been able to play much yet as I've been hogging the game. It's ok though, we can sit and watch each other play kind of a team effort.

Really enjoying it so far. I'm only 2 games/18 hours in so far but I'm totally addicted. I haven't played a TBS with this kind of addictive feel since Civ II, and to be honest I thought I'd got bored of the genre.

Ok there are some problems. Yes, the interface is really confusing. The manual is pretty useless (but I understand the challenges faced by the writers, my parents are both technical authors). I was also lucky enough to start out at patch 1.52 because I didn't start playing until after Christmas but despite all that it's really addictive.

There's a huge amount to learn as well, at the moment I totally suck so I'm very hopeful about replay value too.

Plus there's still hot seat multiplayer to try.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

My first impressions are similar. I've had the game for about a month now, but I only have 48 hours of playing (or so) in it. Not nearly enough to learn the finer points. I'm also very hopeful about replayability, and I am frustrated at the interface which I find very badly designed. In fact, I've said in this post nothing you haven't said in yours, which makes it quite useless in retrospective.

Comment

Nice to get a reply though.

I am actually finding the manual more useful as I go. If only it had an index.
      Last edited by MikeH; January 9, 2006, 04:52.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
      X