[MOD] FexFX--Bigger-&-Longer(v1.52.0) -=New and Improved=-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MOD] FexFX--Bigger-&-Longer(v1.52.0) -=New and Improved=-

Here it is! The Latest version of my MOD!
    I have actually broken it down into three files.
    1) FexFX--Bigger-&-Longer(v1.52.0)
    ----Replaces all four game speeds, one new map size, and other modifications (details below).
    2) FexFX--Bigger(v1.52.0)
    ----Contains only the new map size and other changes but not the new game speeds for those wishing to play the larger map on the original speeds(details below).
    3) FexFX--PublicMaps(v1.52.0)
    ----Contains maps which will work with the new map size (details below).

The next three posts will contain the "ReadMe"s for each file followed by the file itself!

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
    "Ceçi n'est pas une Signature!"

FexFX--Bigger-&-Longer(v1.52.0)

FexFX--Bigger-&-Longer(v1.52.0)
    ===============================

DESCRIPTION:
    Adds the Mammoth map size option. Replaces the original Game Speeds with custom game speeds which are all longer than Epic. Adjusts the camera behavior. Adds persistient time and turn number displays. Adds 20 new Unique names for each category of Great Person.

DETAILS:
    The Mammoth map defaults to 40x25 Plots which is a grid of 160x100, or 16,000 map squares on the Archipelago, Balanced, Continents, Custom Continents and Islands map types. The Great Plains, Highlands, Hub, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Lakes, Maze, Mirror, Oasis, Pangea, Ring, Team_Battleground, Terra, Tilted Axis and Wheel map types will require that you obtain and install the FexFX--PublicMaps(v1.52.0) map pack in order to work properly with this map size.

The Four Available Gamespeeds in this MOD are:
    FX-Marathon(1200)
    FX-Grand(1000)
    FX-Endurance(875)
    FX-Extended(750)

The FX-Marathon(1200) speed is a modified and re-balanced version of the Marathon speed included in the official 1.52 patch.

Each of these four Game Speeds have been carefully tweaked to maximize addictiveness.

The camera has been modified somewhat. It now takes longer to reach 90 degrees vertical, the camera zooms out farther overall to give you a more complete Globe view, and the cloud layer now takes longer to appear resulting in the cloud layer only appearing as you are about to enter Globe mode. The cloud layer was changed in this way to improve peroformance.

The Main Interface screen has ben changed to display the turn and the time constantly in this manner:

PHP Code:
        Turn 1   4000 BC    7:25 PM 

Checking or unchecking the option to display the time in the options menu will have no effect with this mod loaded. This was the only easy way to avoid a lag in the display of the aditional information at the beginning of every turn.

EXTREME DETAILS:
    In all Four Game Speeds the math has been balanced in a much more detail oriented way. Culture, Training, Research and Contruction each use four separate numbers which are then used as the basis for all of the other speed options except for Barbarians, Hurry gains, Golden Ages and Inflation which use completely unique numbers.
    Here is the rough Schema I used:
    --------------------------------
    Flat% - This number represents the relationship between the Normal number of turns (460) and the number of turns in the selected speed and is calculated as (460/target speed)%. This is used for Culture or anything else which should closely match the overall length of the game.

Rsrch% - This number is used for research and is slightly different for each of the game speeds: FX-Marathon(1200) it's (Flat%+20%), for FX-Grand(1000) it's (Flat%+16%), for FX-Endurance(875) it's (Flat%+14%) and for FX-Extended(750) it's (Flat%+12%).

Train% - This number has two versions, for FX-Marathon(1200) and FX-Grand(1000) the number is (Flat%-20%), and for FX-Endurance(875) and FX-Extended(750) it is (Flat%-16%). This results in 1/5th and 1/6th faster unit production, respectively, relative to the timeline.

Build% - This number has two versions as well, for FX-Marathon(1200) and FX-Grand(1000) the number is (Flat%-10%), and for FX-Endurance(875) and FX-Extended(750) it is (Flat%-8%). This results in 1/10th and 1/12th faster building construction, respectively, relative to the timeline.

Barb% - The formula I used for this was ((50%*(turns/660))+100%). This results in a gradual increase in Barbarian production and agression with a direct relation to the 150% figure used on the original Epic mode. The result is also a lot less harh than the straight multiplication of 150% which resulted in the original Marathon mode having barbarians set to 300%.

Golden% - Used to calculate the Golden Age duration, this number is reached by (Flat%/1.2).

Hurry% - Based on the numbers in the default gamespeeds this number is reached by (100/Flat%).

Inflate% - Based on the numbers in the default gamespeeds this number is reached by (27/Flat%).
    --------------------------------

These number resulted in these percentages for each gamespeed by number of turns:

PHP Code:
    Turns  Flat%  Rsrch%  Train%  Build%  Barb%  Golden%  Hurry%  Inflate%
    1200   260%   313%    208%    234%    190%   216%     38%     10%
    1000   217%   252%    173%    195%    175%   180%     46%     12%
    875    190%   216%    158%    174%    166%   158%     52%     14%
    750    163%   182%    135%    149%    156%   135%     61%     16

And these numbers are then applied like this:

PHP Code:
    <iGrowthPercentFlat%
    <
    iTrainPercentTrain%
    <
    iConstructPercentBuild%
    <
    iCreatePercentBuild%
    <
    iResearchPercentRsrch%
    <
    iBuildPercentTrain%
    <
    iImprovementPercentFlat%
    <
    iGreatPeoplePercentBuild%
    <
    iCulturePercentFlat%
    <
    iAnarchyPercentBuild%
    <
    iBarbPercentBarb%
    <
    iFeatureProductionPercentBuild%
    <
    iUnitDiscoverPercentRsrch%
    <
    iUnitHurryPercentBuild%
    <
    iUnitTradePercentFlat%
    <
    iUnitGreatWorkPercentFlat%
    <
    iGoldenAgePercentGolden%
    <
    iHurryPercentHurry%
    <
    iHurryConscriptAngerPercentBuild%
    <
    iInflationPercentInflate%
    <
    iInflationOffset> -(Build%) 

For city size I took these values: 0, 0, 10, 100, 500, 5000, 50000
    and multiplied them by the Flat%.

Further changes were made to the ResearchPercent modifiers for each difficulty level found in CIV4HandicapInfo.xml, and for each map size as found in CIV4WorldInfo.xml. Beyond that, minor changes were made to the ResearchPercent modifiers for the eras as found in CIV4EraInfos.xml to make the Ancient, Modern and Future era researches take just a hair longer. In the case of Ancient, this is because ancient was the era most stretched in its average length, and for Modern and Future it was to slow down the end game just a little.

You will see that in FX-Marathon(1200) mode, Research and training both have been slowed down a bit form the default version of Marathon, while Building has been sped up. This should prevent games from ending in 1400AD by winning the Space Race! The change to the training percent is minor and is more the result of following a chosen mathematical formula than the result of any feeling that 200% was not a proper choice in the original mode.

NOTES:
    The reason that all of the original game speeds were removed was that there was no easy way to balance short games without throwing off the long games, and vice-versa. Further, if someone is choosing to run FexFX--Bigger-&-Longer(v1.52.0) they are probably not going to be running one of the standard game speeds! If someone wants to use the Mammoth size I have packaged it separately as FexFX--Bigger(v1.52.0).

Attempting to use the Great Plains, Highlands, Hub, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Lakes, Maze, Mirror, Oasis, Pangea, Ring, Team_Battleground, Terra, Tilted Axis and Wheel map types without the FexFX--PublicMaps(v1.52.0) map pack will result in an unusual map type. You will get a 40x25 Plots map with no oceans or lakes. The terrain will gradiate from Tundra at the edges to junlge at the Equator smoothly passing through each terrain type along the way. While this map type may be an accident, some may find it interesting to play.

INSTALLATION:
    Extract the contents of this archive into your main MOD folder, most likely located:
    Program Files\Firaxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS

TO PLAY:
    Launch Civilization 4, go to the Advanced Menu.
    Select Load a MOD.
    Choose “FexFX--Bigger-&-Longer(v1.52.0)” from the listed MODs.
    You will be notified that the game will restart to utilize the MOD.

COMPATABILITY:
    This MOD been tested under version 1.52 of Sid Meier's Civilization IV.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by FexFX; December 28, 2005, 16:48.

Comment

FexFX--Bigger(v1.52.0)

FexFX--Bigger(v1.52.0)
      ======================

DESCRIPTION:
      Adds the Mammoth map size option. Adjusts the camera behavior. Adds persistient time and turn number displays. Renames existing Gamespeeds to reflect the number of turns in each speed, for example: Normal(460).

DETAILS:
      The Mammoth map defaults to 40x25 Plots which is a grid of 160x100, or 16,000 map squares on the Archipelago, Balanced, Continents, Custom Continents and Islands map types. The Great Plains, Highlands, Hub, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Lakes, Maze, Mirror, Oasis, Pangea, Ring, Team_Battleground, Terra, Tilted Axis and Wheel map types will require that you obtain and install the FexFX--PublicMaps(v1.52.0) map pack in order to work properly with this map size.

The camera has been modified somewhat. It now takes longer to reach 90 degrees vertical, the camera zooms out farther overall to give you a more complete Globe view, and the cloud layer now takes longer to appear resulting in the cloud layer only appearing as you are about to enter Globe mode. The cloud layer was changed in this way to improve peroformance.

The Main Interface screen has ben changed to display the turn and the time constantly in this manner:
      Turn 1 4000 BC 7:25 PM
      Checking or unchecking the option to display the time in the options menu will have no effect with this mod loaded. This was the only easy way to avoid a lag in the display of the aditional information at the beginning of every turn.

The display names of all game speed have been altered to include the number of turns in each speed so that they will now display like this:
      Marathon(1200)
      Epic(660)
      Normal(460)
      Quick(320)

NOTES:
      Attempting to use the Great Plains, Highlands, Hub, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Lakes, Maze, Mirror, Oasis, Pangea, Ring, Team_Battleground, Terra, Tilted Axis and Wheel map types without the FexFX--PublicMaps(v1.52.0) map pack will result in an unusual map type. You will get a 40x25 Plots map with no oceans or lakes. The terrain will gradiate from Tundra at the edges to junlge at the Equator smoothly passing through each terrain type along the way. While this map type may be an accident, some may find it interesting to play.

INSTALLATION:
      Extract the contents of this archive into your main MOD folder, most likely located:
      Program Files\Firaxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS

TO PLAY:
      Launch Civilization 4, go to the Advanced Menu.
      Select Load a MOD.
      Choose “FexFX--Bigger(v1.52.0)” from the listed MODs.
      You will be notified that the game will restart to utilize the MOD.

COMPATABILITY:
      This MOD been tested under version 1.52 of Sid Meier's Civilization IV.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by FexFX; December 28, 2005, 16:49.

Comment

FexFX--PublicMaps(v1.52.0)

FexFX--PublicMaps Map Pack(v1.52.0)
        ===================================

DESCRIPTION:
        This map pack adjusts the existing map scripts so that the FX-Mammoth map size can be used with Great Plains, Highlands, Hub, Ice Age, Inland Sea, Lakes, Maze, Mirror, Oasis, Pangea, Ring, Team_Battleground, Terra, Tilted Axis and Wheel map types.

DETAILS:
        FX-Mammoth defaults to 40x25 plots with the Archipelago, Balanced, Continents, Custom Continents and Islands map types. For these map types this map pack is unnecessary. For each of the above mentioned map types however, the scripts for each map had to be modified to allow for an additional map size. As with the original map sizes, none of these maps use the default plot sizes, opting instead for custom plot sizes for each map size option. Below are the Plot Sizes for Mammoth with each of the map types included in this map pack:
        --------------------
        Great Plains - 22x17
        Highlands - 32x20
        Hub - 32x20
        Ice Age - 40x16
        Inland Sea - 26x16
        Lakes - 26x16
        Maze - 30x17
        Mirror - 26x16
        Oasis - 28x17
        Pangea - 32x20
        Ring - 32x20
        Team_Battleground - 20x13 or 16x16 depending on team placement choices.
        Terra - 47x30
        Tilted Axis - 31x31
        Wheel - 32x20
        --------------------
        Please note that Terra may run pooly on some computers at this size.

NOTES:
        One Plot equals four grid squares.
        The Mammoth map defaults to 40x25 which is a grid of 160x100, or 16,000 map squares.
        The original Huge map size defaults to 30x20 which is 120x80 or 9,600 map squares.
        While some of the above sizes are smaller than the default size for Huge, each of them follows the same sizing schema as the original map sizes. For example, the Inland Sea map type is 21x13 on Huge and 26x16 on Mammoth.

INSTALLATION:
        To install this Map Pack, simply extract all of the files into:
        My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\PublicMaps
        These maps should cause no problems even if you are not running the MODs which contain the Mammoth map size.

COMPATABILITY:
        These maps have been tested under version 1.52 of Sid Meier's Civilization IV.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by FexFX; December 28, 2005, 17:00.

Comment

If you have any Questions, Comments or Suggestions, dont hesitate to let me know, I always welcome feedback of any sort!

Comment

First....Love your mod.

That said, with v1.52.0 when I load the mod and it proceeds to restart it fails to do anything but show the loading screen then crashes. Unknown if it is an issue with my system but I have been running your previous mod without issue(prior to patching 1.52).

Comment

Try clearing your cache.
              Hold down the shift key during the loading screen when it says its loading the various parts of the mod especially Uncached XML and uncached Python.

Comment

Did what you suggested....no dice.
                Any other suggestions? Maybe set it to start your mod initially as opposed to having to restart? How would I go about that?

Comment

Double post....

Comment

Found the Problem!

Its in the directory name!

I am updating the files attached to this thread with simplified directory names!
                    Meanwhile, for those who have already downloaded the mod...
                    If anyone is have a problem getting the mod to run, simply change the directory name that the mod is installed in.
                    ...or download the new files listed above...the only change is in the directory name.
                    I did not have this problem with the mod when I tested last night and the only thing I did with the mod today was to write the "ReadMe"s shove it all into Zips, and then upload it, so maybe not everyone is having this issue.
                    Last edited by FexFX; December 28, 2005, 16:55.

Comment

Clean install..... 1.52 patch

No mods in the mods folder other than those that came with the game and Bigger and Longer 1.52.

No error message at all. Loads initial startup screen. Go to advanced then load a mod. Click on Bigger and Longer then hit OK. Says needs to restart and does so. Goes to loading screen as if it were starting then nothing.... check the task manager and the game has exited out.

Will now try with Bigger.

Same with Bigger.

Do I need to install map pack first?

Comment

Disregard...figured it out. Thanks for the help.
                        Last edited by thomjr1967; December 28, 2005, 17:11.

Comment

Had a little time to play this morning, and I managed to enter the medieval tech level...Its the first half of the 11th century...this is perhaps a bit late, but I got kinda screwed on my starting position (jungles like crazy!) and then got swarmed by barbarians that wiped out most of my hard earned tile improvements and then just as the barbarians chilled out, I got hit by Montezuma who was having a bad hair day and declared war on me for no good reason.
                          At this point however my empire is stable at ten cities, I am producing workers like mad, and Shall beat back the jungles soon! I just wish Firaxis had not raised the early costs so high because I am having trouble getting my research level to stay above 30%!!!
                          Well we will see what's what soon!

One thing is for sure, I wont be winning a space race in the year 1400ad!

The only question is will I still be waiting for flight in the year 2000ad?

Comment

1152ad...all seems lost...the romans and the japanese have both decided I need to be exterminated even tho we had had no unpleasant relations up to this point...

Firaxis did not lie...the AI is quite a bit more agressive and hostile!

1168. I have given up. The Roman hordes line the horizon as far as the eye can see.
                            Three cities have fallen.
                            It is mere a matter of time.
                            The hemlock I gave my staff has done its job and now I sit staring down my own goblet of oblivion.
                            May the gods grant me peace.

Wow...over 500 turns and I had to concede!

Watching the replay I was very stunted.
                            Also 14 civs may be just a tad too many for me to deal with until I get the feel for my own mod and the new patch...

Comment

I am playing through again, this time I got a good start...Man those barbarians are insane in the new patch! I cant imagine playing Marathon with them set to the level Firaxis chose! Geesh!

This time I am in the 8th century and I made a line-drive for War Elephants early on...good thing too because they are all that saved me from the evil barbarians! I am on the cusp of the Medieval era and I think this feels just about perfect to me in pacing!

Comment

Working...
                              X