Paying gold to convert units to a more advanced type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying gold to convert units to a more advanced type

I am stumped: I can't figure out when you are allowed to pay to turn units into more advance types, and when you can't. For example, I had two Caravels. One of them it just wouldn't let me upgrade into anything. The other, I could pay to turn into a destroyer.

I was quite disappointed to find (apparently) that Marines don't upgrade to Mechanized Infantry, unfortunately. I assume infantry do, though?

They have to be inside one of your cities to upgrade. Did you have enough cash? When it says 153 for all, thats 153 PER unit, not for all of them. Marines upgrade to nothing I believe, Infantry can go to SAM or Mecha I believe.

Comment

No they dont have to be inside a city, just inside your borders. Other than that it should, did the icon show up, but was shaded dark?, it usually shows in red the reason you cant upgrade.

Comment

It's possible that you didn't have enough cash - or one of the reasons above.

Yes, infantry upgrade to Mech.

The thing that confounds me is that you can modernize certain older enhanced units to more modern units that can't possess the upgrade possessed by the older unit. Like swords to infantry. I always have a handful of swords with 2 city attack upgrades that I turn into infantry. Unless I'm mistaken, infantry can't get the city attack mod when "born" as infantry. Maybe that's because they ignore city walls/castles? Which makes me wonder - does the city attack upgrade reduce the cultural defense of the city or just physical defense modifiers? Is it a waste to update units with city attack to gunpowder units?

Then there are the attack mods that you can inherit to machine guns - why bother?
        Last edited by eluciv; December 25, 2005, 11:29.

Comment

This is my main way of getting a modern army. My problem is sometimes I put it off unti alex drops 15 tanks off near my city!

Comment

Originally posted by Firecrak
            They have to be inside one of your cities to upgrade.
            Land units (I'm guessing including aircraft) have to be inside your borders. I /believe/ sea units have to be in a city with a drydock (which would make sense), but I haven't confirmed this

Did you have enough cash?
            Yeah, that caught me out a few times the first few times I played. It's a /lot/ more expensive than in previous Civ versions!
            Dom 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by eluciv
              The thing that confounds me is that you can modernize certain older enhanced units to more modern units that can't possess the upgrade possessed by the older unit. Like swords to infantry.
              Think of it this way: it's the /equipment/ (and possibly tactics) you're upgrading, not the personnel. In the UK, navy units compete against each other for the 'Gun Run', despite no practical use for it these days (IIRC - see http://www.portsmouthactionfieldgun2001.co.uk/), that was based on Boer War actions over 100yrs ago

[/QUOTE]
              does the city attack upgrade reduce the cultural defense of the city or just physical defense modifiers? Is it a waste to update units with city attack to gunpowder units?

Then there are the attack mods that you can inherit to machine guns - why bother? [/QUOTE]

Good points
              Dom 8-)

Comment

as per the machine gun, it can be upgraded as well to something useful again, no?

as per where to upgrade, anywhere inside your cultural boundries is permitted. outside of that, need to check. Definitely not while inside enemy territory, but in 'neutral' territory... have to check that.

Comment

There is a very handy mod in the creation forum that adds an upgrade paths page to the game. It shows you all of the different upgrade paths of all of the units in a similar way to that of the tech tree.

Comment

The city attack upgrade increases a units attak vs a city. A swordsman start with +25 (I think, well we'll say) so against a city that's 7.2, against a new city with no walls and a longbowman (+25 city defense) it'd be 7.2 vs 7.2.

Comment

Actually, I believe I read that Raider takes the percentage away from your opponents score, not adds it to your own (check the debate on the new full str/low hp discussion). Therefore, Infantry with 25% city attack bonus would be quiet potent, walls or no.

Btw, I am aware you can upgrade your units in your own cultural borders, but his question was specificly for ships, which must be docked inside a city (drydock doesn't matter).

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys, but my question remains.
                        When you attack a city, the city defense percentage is shown and this number goes down as you bombard. Now this number - is that only cultural defense, physical defense or just the higher of the two? I seem to remember being told defense isn't additive with cultural/physical but maybe that's wrong.

It would seem weird that you could bombard cultural defense...unless it's designed to represent decreasing morale in the citizens of a bombarded city.

So the question is, since gunpowder units ignore physical defense (walls and castles), I assume a city raider upgraded to gunpowder would only get the modifier vs. the cultural defense percentage. Ya think? And if so, this number (cultural or physical percentage) decreases with bombardment, right?

Comment

Hey all. One thing I've been playing around with in the late game is to drop research to zero for a few turns. I can usually pull in 2k - 4k / turn and earn enough to upgrade an entire type of unit.

There's a rather huge trade-off here in lost research, but it has saved my bacon a few times when the computer decides to get upitty and attacks me without warning.

Comment

Athough, in early game, it seems to me that the personal should need to be changed every turn.

Originally posted by snafuc4
                            Think of it this way: it's the /equipment/ (and possibly tactics) you're upgrading, not the personnel.
                            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                            Templar Science Minister
                            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by snafuc4
                              Land units (I'm guessing including aircraft) have to be inside your borders. I /believe/ sea units have to be in a city with a drydock (which would make sense), but I haven't confirmed this
                              Naval units can be upgraded if they are within your cultural boundaries.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X