Arnie and Austria are splitsville...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnie and Austria are splitsville...

Unfortunately, the people of Graz and Arnie don't see eye to eye on clemency for a quadrupal murderer, so it's splitsville. He faxed a strongly worded Dear Mr. Mayor letter this this afternoon, the ring is in the mail, my attorney will be in touch...

Schwarzenegger to Hometown: Remove My Name

By JENNIFER COLEMAN
    The Associated Press
    Monday, December 19, 2005; 6:51 PM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday told officials in his hometown in Austria to remove his name from a sports stadium and stop using his identity to promote the city.

The governor's request came after politicians in Graz began a petition drive to rename the stadium, reacting to Schwarzenegger's decision last week to deny clemency to condemned inmate Stanley Tookie Williams. Opposition to the death penalty is strong in Austria.

In a letter that began "Dear Mister Mayor," Schwarzenegger said he decided to spare the Graz city council "further concern" should he be forced to make other clemency decisions while he's governor. Another inmate is scheduled to be executed in California Jan. 17.

"In all likelihood, during my term as governor, I will have to make similar and equally difficult decisions," Schwarzenegger said in the letter. "To spare the responsible politicians of the city of Graz further concern, I withdraw from them as of this day the right to use my name in association with the Liebenauer Stadium."

The stadium was renamed for the former Hollywood star in 1997. He asked that the lettering be removed by year's end.

Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Margita Thompson said the letter was faxed Monday to the Graz city hall. The city council was expected to take up the matter next month.

In the letter, Schwarzenegger also said he would no longer permit the use of his name "to advertise or promote the city of Graz in any way" and would return the city's "ring of honor."

The ring was given to him in a ceremony in Graz in 1999. At the time, Schwarzenegger said he considered it "a token of sincere friendship between my hometown and me."

"Since, however, the official Graz appears to no longer accept me as one of their own, this ring has lost its meaning and value to me. It is already in the mail," the governor wrote.

Williams, co-founder of the Crips gang, was convicted of four 1979 murders. He was executed shortly after midnight Dec. 13.
    Last edited by DanS; December 19, 2005, 20:55.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

The offending soccer stadium...
    Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Ahnold

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
        Ahnold

Comment

Europeans hate death penalty because we don't have such human dirtbag raping and killing kids as much as in the US.

Pathetic politically correct crap
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Harsh Arnie.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
              Harsh Arnie.
              Here's the context...

Graz terminates Schwarzenegger connection
              December 16, 2005

Graz: The Arnold Schwarzenegger Football Stadium in this city, Austria's second-largest, is to be renamed as a sign of displeasure with the city's most famous son, a local newspaper reported yesterday.

A majority of members on Graz City Council voted to rename the stadium after the Austrian-born governor of California approved the execution earlier this week of Stanley "Tookie" Williams, according to Kleine Zeitung.

The Terminator-turned-governor was born 6km outside Graz in the community of Thal. Representatives from the Social Democrats (SP), the Greens and the Communist Party (KP), traditionally strong in Graz, joined forces to push through the proposal, despite the objection of mayor Siegfried Nagl of the conservative People's Party (VP).

"It's getting on our nerves that we're again and again being criticised for Schwarzenegger's actions in California," said SP vice mayor Welter Ferk.

"We're not exactly basking in glory for being brought into the public limelight in connection with the death penalty.
              "Therefore I'm in favour of renaming the stadium," he added.
              Click here

Noting the football stadium would now probably be named after a major sponsor, fellow SP politician Wolfgang Riedler said, "We at least get money for it."

Another initiative to strip Schwarzenegger of honorary citizenship of Thal failed after a proposal tabled by the Greens was rejected by the local council on Wednesday evening.

Meanwhile the US state of Mississippi on Wednesday executed a 77-year-old convicted murderer, the oldest inmate put to death since the US Supreme Court reinstated capital punishment in 1976, a newspaper said yesterday.

John B Nixon was executed at Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parcham at 6.25pm, on Wednesday, said the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Mississippi.

Nixon insisted until his last breath that he was innocent of the 1985 slaying of Virginia Tucker at her home.

On December 2, North Carolina carried out the 1 000th execution in the country since 1976, when Kenneth Boyd, 57, was killed by lethal injection.

- Sapa

Comment

Sorry saw 'Nixon executed' and did a double take...

BTW, to shutting down those goddamned krauts, whatever this was about.
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

they're austrians, so they're half-krauts
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

yeah I already posted this in the execution thread.

Comment

How strange. I have yet to encounter anything but "you are from California? Isn't Arnold great?" from the Austrian people.
                      Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

How does anyone outside of the US have a say about domestic US issues?

Austria

Old Europe

European Left

Arnold

DP

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                          How does anyone outside of the US have a say about domestic US issues?
                          Well, they don't - but they can be upset with Arnold if they want to. I think the cult of the Terminator is still pretty strong in this country, and I somehow doubt that a few executions is going to change that. Sure, they might be miffed in the short term, but the man is really the only international celebrity that Austria has - and Austria, still suffering from a complex over the fact that it used to lead an enormous empire and is now considered Germany's little brother on the world stage, desperately wants international celebreties. Case in point, Austria's dedication of next year as "Mozart Year." Yes, Mozart Year. The whole year. All of it.
                          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
                            ...but the man is really the only international celebrity that Austria has.

Comment

No, doofus, Hitler was German and Beethoven was Austrian. Everybody knows that.

Comment

Working...
                              X