No announcement yet.

[Map Script] Tectonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This file is the original tectonics script. It's been included in patch BtS 3.17. The latest version here has some slight modifications but it's 99% the same as the one in the last patch.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• will this cause errors for other players or me when hosting a game saying that "resources between host and client are different?"

Comment

• I don't think so. The resources used in-game are xml files, maybe some py mods but the map script is only used for generating at start, and I think it's only generated on one machine, so there shouldn't be any reason for problems, but I can't test.
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

• is this included in patch 3.19 as well?
          Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

• I don't know, but it should since additions in patches are usually included in subsequent patches too.

Comment

• been playing a game on a large Tectonics map, it's really interesting
              Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

• New Plate Tectonic based terrain generator for realistic 2D maps!

Greeting fellow map producers!

It's been really great to see this thread so active and rewarding to all its participants! I haven't tried the terrain generator discussed here, nor do i remember finding pictures that present the results of it. But just to add some water to the mill and maybe give you a few new ideas, I'd love to share my Bachelor's thesis about the topic of using plate tectonics to create terrain. The entire text is freely downloadable from urn.fi/URN:NBN:fi:amk-201204023993 . The related source code is accessible through SourceFroge at sourceforge.net/projects/platec/ .

Finally, here's few screenshots of the output of my terrain generator:

Click image for larger version

Name:	9935848.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	9093049
                and:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	9935847.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	9093050

I hope you find this work as inspiring as i've found your discussion and may it help you forward with your own terrain generator projects!

Comment

• Originally posted by laurimann View Post
                  Greeting fellow map producers!

It's been really great to see this thread so active and rewarding to all its participants! I haven't tried the terrain generator discussed here, nor do i remember finding pictures that present the results of it.
                  You mean, like the pictures in posts 1, 8 and 9? Seriously, use your own thread if you don't even the first post of this one.
                  Your code is quite unsuited for a civ map generation, with constraints on map size in particular. You might want to try to use your algo on something like civ map sizes to realise the constraints you're missing.
                  Simulating map tectonics can indeed be done and is fun, but generating a civ terrain is an application that requires some simplifications, handling of given map sizes, generating in an acceptable timeframe, using a given programming language, outputting a map with only a 4 levels of height (sea/land/hills/peaks), along with actually simulating climate and rivers, although the default climate and river generation routines work quite well on their own. You could try zooming in your maps to produce something civ-usable, but that would be a new map generator.
                  (Also, naming variables hgt is no longer needed as compilers now can work with variables of more than 8 characters.)

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                    You mean, like the pictures in posts 1, 8 and 9? Seriously, use your own thread if you don't even the first post of this one.
                    I'm sorry, i was too excited when i made my post. Of course i've seen the pictures that are shared in this thread - the discussion has been most interesting! Maybe i tried to say that i haven't seen the kind of images that would clarify for me the capabilities of your work. Edit: I mean that i was looking for a specific type of pictures - heightmaps - but found only these terrain type tile maps. Of course, this is civ forum! But now you can understand my point better.

What else you said about the unsuitedness of my approach to civ like games is most probably true. Map size constraint is simply a low level optimization and easy to work around. My aim in no way was to generate a civ terrain and with my post i wanted only to share ideas, not to start a war of comparisons. I am fully aware that a proper civ map generation must be quite fast and include playability issues, distribution of terrain types and simulation of climate and rivers. These are all issues that i decided to leave out, because like i just said, i never aimed to make a full civ map generator.

Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                    (Also, naming variables hgt is no longer needed as compilers now can work with variables of more than 8 characters.)
                    And please, there's no need to insult others just because you feel threatened or something. I feel that you owe me an apology.
                    Last edited by laurimann; April 19, 2012, 12:52.

Comment

• Well, the code you show is unsuited to a civ map generation, and conversely, the code for this script isn't ever going to produce "good" results with regards to a detailed world creation. If you wanted to render (part of) a globe in 3d, your approach would be much better. It's still off-topic.

Regarding variable naming, it's not an insult. It's a free piece of advice, and a very serious one. See http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educa...350882,00.html for instance regarding the importance of naming variables (also http://thc.org/root/phun/unmaintain.html but you might take it as an insult too). It does make code readable, understandable and maintainable. Your code looks like mathematical formulas with very abstract names. That may sound nice in math, but in code that you may have to look at after months break, it's a very bad habit. When you show code to others, you are more likely to get feedback if the code doesn't require them to translate the variables into understandable concepts at every line.

Comment

• Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                        Well, the code you show is unsuited to a civ map generation, and conversely, the code for this script isn't ever going to produce "good" results with regards to a detailed world creation. If you wanted to render (part of) a globe in 3d, your approach would be much better. It's still off-topic.
                        Agreed.

Originally posted by LDiCesare View Post
                        Regarding variable naming, it's not an insult. It's a free piece of advice, and a very serious one.
                        Your advice is good and the matters that you present in your post are truthful and I agree with them. However, being correct does not give anyone the right to be sloppy in their presentation causing the receiver to get their feelings hurt. Had you skipped the childish insult that you probably made while being captivated by strong feelings of frustration and/or anger and simply posted what you just did, I wouldn't have had any problems with it. But now I feel that you owe me an apology.

Comment

• Originally posted by laurimann View Post
                          Had you skipped the childish insult that you probably made while being captivated by strong feelings of frustration and/or anger and simply posted what you just did, I wouldn't have had any problems with it. But now I feel that you owe me an apology.
                          I honestly don't get where you see an insult. I certainly consider your insinuations about what I think to be insulting though, and these are definitely hurting my feellings so by your own standards you shouldn't do that and should apologize. You've been presenting something which is totally off-topic in my thread, not reading the first post, and I said so. I made comments about your code because I find it painful to read and this is something maintainerss would have a hard time to work with, so I said so.

Comment

• The links of first page don't work.

Comment

• Sh*t. Poly broke their own links. You can get the latest version from cfc there.
                              Actually, the next-to-last version is integrated in the lastest official patch for BtS too so you won't be missing much.
                              Meanwhile, I'm signaling the issue to the powers-that-be here so they can hopefully fix it.

Comment

• I updated the last version link in the first post. The other links will have to wait since they are archived and it may take some time to get them back up but they are probably not as interesting as the current version anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X