No announcement yet.

[Map Script] Tectonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But it might be interesting to have a customizable field for how many passes it makes at movePlates().
    Yes indeed. The problem is, I did that and found it ugly. There are several problems with it, considering the way the scipt works:
    1) I'd have to move the plates when they collide and thus make the map of the plats evolve a bit. I might remove a plate totally by mistake. That's not a big issue, but is needed if the plates are to really move.
    2) Big issue: The result is that you get many many many mountains. I tried to soften it a bit by eroding the altitude obtained form previous passes but it didn't provide good results.

I've also added a climate entry to the map to make it more or less desert. I consider reusing the default value for climate (arid/temperate/...) but have little idea what to do about the 'rocky' option. I'll see if I can get rid of it or if I can make it mean something.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Version 3.5 is out.
      I added an option to choose climate, among arid, temeperate and wet. I didn't use the default cimate dialog because I don't know how to get rid of the rocky and cold climates which are respectively not a climate at all and probably not useful.
      That version also sports a tuned stating location alogrithm which tries to set players on the same landmasses (except for the island option), but that's not very noticeable.
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I tried 3.5 arid setting.
        Generally I liked it.
        I got huge tundra zones.
        Somewhere, I thought it was in the thread, but now I think it was a comment in the code, you said teh difference between ice and tundra was moisture.
        I did just a little reading.
        It seems tundra is associated with coastal areas.

In the Canadian artic tundra regions are along the coast of the mainland, the coast of Greenland, and all the islands.

Tundra regions can occur south of taiga regions but along the coast.
        Also tundra regions can occur north of glacial regions but again along the coast.

In the documentation is was stated that the ocean water moderates the temperatures. It then makes sense that the coast of Greenland would be tundra not glacier. I fail to see why moderating the temperatures along the Canadian mainland coast creates tundra not taiga forest.

I can't see where some kind of prevailing wind impacts the extent of the tundra. It seems to be a matter of latitude and ocean proximity.

How to calculate ocean proximity in terms of degrees?
        I suppose you have the program count squares to the ocean in the four cardinal directions, factor the results according to map size. I think this is more complicated than the moisture calculation you have now.

Comment

I love this map script - just wanted to voice my thanks to LDiCesare. Good work!

Still works perfectly with Warlords, too.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
            Still works perfectly with Warlords, too.
            Good to know

I still haven't tried Warlords
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I realy love this script, it's almost the only one that I use (unfortunatly it doesn't have an all land setting, the closest I can get is lakes which sometimes gives me a mediterreneanlike map).
              However it's still giving very very large tracts of tundra in the north and the south if you generate maps that are large or bigger. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't sometimes start out civs down there as well
              Can really be a ***** if you use this script for MP games.
              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Best thing about this script is that you actually get deserts, mountain ranges, etc. instead of tiles just scattered about irrationally like the vanilla scripts provide. When Civ4 came out, I absolutely hated the maps that were generated to the point that I stop playing after less than a month; this mod has saved the game for me and brought back replayability. The maps actually make sense now.

Comment

Updated to version 3.6.
                  There are mostly 2 new features:
                  -Mediterreanean map option. This creates an inner sea with lands to the south and north. It is always possible to cross the sea by foot and/or trireme, though you'll have to go to the eastern border of the map to be sure of it.
                  -No ice option: This option is actually quite simple: It reuses the script default climate option and then replaces all tundra by grass and all ice by tundra.

For those who had problems, this script works fine with Warlords, and with the Fall from Heaven II mod.

Comment

hey there, I was wondering if it was possible to get a west-east wrap only version? also, there's an interesting phenomenon that I've noticed. On large\huge maps with lots of players some civs are often dumped on a city cross sized area of plains surrounded by tundra...

Also, must remember to be positive. Wonderful script. absolutely what I've been craving for several versions of civ

though I was wondering if it was possible to combine this kind of map generator with for example the terra map type. resulting in something like this:

A. The "bundling" of terrain types (very nice, also quite natural and realistic, though slightly more fractured would be good imo, many unnaturally straight lines occur frequently)
                    B. 1-5 continents within galley range or with land bridges where all players start.
                    C. Another continent located across an ocean without any players in it.

I dont know if you're familiar with the diplogames community but we are currently playing terra maps (and it's very nice so far) for marathon games with 8-10 players (going for 13-14 in the next one) where we play once a week adding actual roleplay diplomacy into the mix by posting story lines and such on a separate diplomacy thread. we have use for a good map with variation in player proximity, available land, coast access, resource access and just about everything. Terra works, but your map script just calls out across the vastness of the forums, alluring our sensitive civ'ers instincts to come begging for the ideal diplomap
                    Last edited by LzPrst; August 21, 2006, 19:18.
                    Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

I don't get the west-east wrapponly? You can easily change wrap by editing the getWrapX() and getWrapY() methods in the .py file (say True or False systematically depending on what you want).

The city cross thing is done by default to give 'better' terrain around an otherwise poor environment. My comp can't handle big maps so I don't see this often. I'm not sure I can do much for that as initial player placement is something I don't feel at ease with. The no ice version should mostly get rid of this though?

A Terra map would be possible? I actually had something like it when I lost all my data a while back. I might redo it eventually.

[edited for spelling]
                      Last edited by LDiCesare; August 26, 2006, 05:05.

Comment

Version 3.8 out. (3.7 was the same but 3.8 fixes the wrap on Y axis that was a bug in 3.6).
                        The main change is in Mediterranean, where features depend on latitude, and there is systematically land to the east connexting north and south parts, plus much bigger islands.

Comment

Cool! I was on vacation and missed the fact that my favorite map script has been updated... good to see you're still tweaking it LDiCesare!

Comment

Err... I generated a few 60% water/everything else normal maps, and there are hardly any forests and no jungle. Might want to revisit that.

This was with 3.8.

Edit: I tried 3.7 and the forests/jungle are fine with the 60% map. Must be something that changed in 3.8
                            Last edited by Stuie; August 31, 2006, 09:23.

Comment

Weird. The only thing I changed in 3.8 vs 3.7 was the wrapping axis. Must have been 3.6?
                              However, I confirm what you saw. So a patch is out. I update the link in the front page right now.

Comment

You're right - I am currently using 3.6, not 3.7.

Thanks for the quick patch and thanks again for the excellent script!

Comment

Working...
                                X