No announcement yet.

[Map Script] Tectonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your map sized, compared to the vanilla ones ? I just started one on large and looked at the world builder... it seemed a lot bigger than vanilla large...

Comment

The map sizes are unchanged. They should be exactly like the default ones.

I visited Yellowtone when I was 10. Very nice place, with stinking polders and buffaloes crossing roads when your car is in the middle.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Why isn't there any plate techtonics on Mars?

Comment

As far as I know, there used to be plate tectonics on Mars, as the various volcanoes (Olympus Mons), ridges etc. show. However, the planet is dead. Its core is no longer hot and the plates no longer move. The most important effect on martian geography is the meteors, whose craters sometimes pierced the crust, causing vast lava plains to appear, and then the small and recent craters.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Tectonics is driven by internal heat generated by the decay of radioactive isotopes.
            Mars, being less massive would have less of this material. Also being further from the Sun it would have received a smaller fraction of its mass as radioactive material. The heavier elements are the active ones and they have a higher vaporization temperature would have condensed out of the solar nebula before the lighter elements. Gravity would have had the denisity of the solar nebula higher near the Sun. It's not so now because the lighter elements remained as vapor and were driven outward (by solar wind or high temperatures?) to be collected by the outer planets.

The lesser gravity on Mars would also impede the process.

The interesting thing is that it seems Venus despite having a higher percentage of radioactive material ceased being tectonic about 500 million years ago. Maybe it has a thinner mantle.

Tectonics make the Earth an interesting place.

Where could I find someone who knows how CIV finds the shortest path between two points? I can't find the subject discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by C.O.G.
              Tectonics is driven by internal heat generated by the decay of radioactive isotopes.
              Mars, being less massive would have less of this material. Also being further from the Sun it would have received a smaller fraction of its mass as radioactive material. The heavier elements are the active ones and they have a higher vaporization temperature would have condensed out of the solar nebula before the lighter elements. Gravity would have had the denisity of the solar nebula higher near the Sun. It's not so now because the lighter elements remained as vapor and were driven outward (by solar wind or high temperatures?) to be collected by the outer planets.
              Wonderful example of special pleading.

Where's the evidence for any of this?

I have a simpler answer. There's no tectonics on mars (by which I mean "plate techtonics") because there's no techtonics anywhere.

Comment

See http://www.biol.wwu.edu/donovan/SciE...etectonics.pdf
                Look at page 24 for a discussion of what drives plate tectonics.

I havn't read it in a while but the subject of the sorting of compounds in the solar nebula is described in an article by
                John S. Lewis 1974, Scientific American

The same article describes the mass of Mars as about 10% of Earth's.

Comment

Here's an illustration of the plates and various hotspots.

Comment

It is so cool to find people this dedicated to modelling realworld forces when modding Civ. Kudos to you all. I've just utilized the mod and it - along with the Blue Marble mod - did sweeten my map appreciably. Good work!

Comment

Except plate techtonics is not a "real world force."

Comment

That's great I never saw before a map of hotspot locations on land.
                        I counted 24 on teh map of selected hot spots.
                        4 on land or 17%. If they were evenly distributed between land and sea 30% would be expected. So perhaps some hot spots are not bouyant enough to appear through teh continental crust. I speculate.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shmae1
                          Except plate techtonics is not a "real world force."
                          All right I'll bite.
                          What do you mean?

Do you dispute that thermal circulation in the mantel is the cause of continental drift?

Comment

Looking at the script... Great work by the way. But it might be interesting to have a customizable field for how many passes it makes at movePlates().

For example, generate a map, call movePlates. Use that map and call movePlates again. Rinse and repeat for X number of times.

What you would get would probably be a gradual progression of landmasses and they "might" turn out much more realistic.
                            Last edited by Alashar; March 28, 2006, 01:45.

Comment

Originally posted by C.O.G.

All right I'll bite.
                              What do you mean?

Do you dispute that thermal circulation in the mantel is the cause of continental drift?
                              There is no continental drift for which thermal circulation in the mantel may act as cause.

Just examine the sentence you have written and ask yourself what evidence exists for any of the many propositions upon which it rests.

The Mantel: If I remember correctly, this is the layer of magma supposed to separate Earth's crust from it's core. Trouble is, it's never been observed. There is no evidence for its existence. In fact, the layer of Magma is a supposition which requires the presupposition of both "Crust" and "Core" and, despite the fact that you may think the former is something upon which you walk every day, conceptually, neither of these has ever been observed -- either.

Thermal Circulation within the Magma: Now we're really getting speculative. We're actually daring to identify characteristics of an element (I used the word colloquially) we have never even observed.

Continental Drift: That continents move is merely an hypothesis -- an hypothesis that was once thought complete nonsense by respectable scientists. Ooops. It still is. It's been replaced now by something called "Plate Techtonics" which is wholly unrelated to continents and merely argues that randomly devised pieces of the Earth's crust float around and underneath one another. Trouble is, the concept is still taught in schools by reference to the "natural fit" of South America and Africa -- the two landmasses that inspired the drift idea in the first place. No one's stopped to notice since then that the new Tectonic Theory won't explain the drift of continents unless a continent happens to -- wholly by happenstance mind you -- sit atop a discrete plate.

Nevertheless, this action has (of course) never been observed. Despite the use of radar and lasers to measure the movement of the Earth's crust, all that we know is certain parts of the Earth have shifted laterally, in relation to other parts of the Earth, in the tiniest measures, since observations were first made. Little of this movement has been predicted on the basis of the Plate Tectonic Theory. Instead, wherever new movement is detected, geologists simply sketch in a new, heretofore "undetected" surface plate. That's the mark of a theory that can never be falsified.

Perhaps most tellingly, it's important to recall that the entire theory was developed to explain an apparent congruity existing between the opposing shores of the southern Atlantic. One might wonder why drift theories have never been invoked to explain the natural fit between the opposite shores of any given river.

Yet the congruity between Western Africa and Eastern South America is as likely to be no more than coincidence. The Earth appears to produce an enormous number of replicated shapes -- some of which are truly uncanny. For example, tip Africa 45 degrees south-east, examine the shape, and then compare it with that of Australia. But for scale, it's a rather good match. Even the horn of Africa is reproduced by northern Queensland. Should we develop a new geology to explain this congruity? Spend some time studying a map and you will find many such matches.

So we have exactly zero evidence of Continental Drift -- and I haven't even told you the most damning argument (I gotta leave something for you to figure out).

...is the cause of... Lastly, you link together all of these ideas causally. Notice that you are thus claiming that an unobserved force, existing within an unobserved element, produces an unobserved effect. Ahh...the wonder of science!

Comment

1shmae1, please stay on the topic of this thread. This thread is for a map script for Civilization 4, and this forum is for general creations for the same game. While anyone is free to belive whatever they want of scientific research and theories this thread is not the place to discuss them. You are free to do so in the off-topic forum. No more off-topic discussion in this thread.
                                Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                                X