This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNITS (ver1.0): Hosted by JT

New units section, I will come and put what's happened so far in a minute.
    -Civ3 Thread Master of OTHER and UNITS.
    "We get the paperwork, you get the game!"

posted May 18, 1999 17:09

General summary of the last thread:

UNITS
    Spy Planes-multiple turns of feul, long range, no armor or weapon. Used for scouting.

Patriots-draftees from cities

Sea Engineers-terraform the sea

Supply Trucks-supply one nutrient/mineral/gold(whichever is chosen) from home city to city truck is assigned to.

Assassin-Like spy, except kills prominent researchers or builders to set enemy back.

Anti-sub Helicopter-Maybe with a sonar beacon that extends a square in every direction so you can pick up the subs?

Merchant Fleet-Caravans on the sea. I like this one _a lot_.

Air Transport-Airplane that transports units

AWAC-Like spy plane, but shorter range. Gives support to any attacked air units within 4 squares.

Spy Sattelites-Keep constant watch over a certain area.

Refugee-If city is captured, this unit appears. Can add its population to another city. No offense or defense.

Intelligance(sp?) Unit - Anti-spy protection

CONCEPTS

Long-range attacking units-catpults and other long-range units can attack from a few squares away

Raising armies-instead of building armies, you raise them through your cities

Support-Nation supports unit instead of city.

Tech upgrades-Option to upgrade units with whatever you discover once you discover it. Example: You have an archers unit defending a town. You discover Bronze Working.You can now add bronze armor to your archer unit if you wish.

Seperate armies and weapons-The people are drafted from a city while their weapons are built in another.

Training Grounds-Not letting certain units that have to be trained, like an archer or a knight, be built until barracks are built.

If I missed anything, let me know!

Comment

Better improved unconventional units(i.e. corporate branch can only affect enemy nations that have democratic/republican government type.)

Spy units can only be seen by spy units or with the right city/terrain improvement

Comment

Yeah, I agree that Corperate Branches, Lawyers, Televangelists, Abolonishionists(sp?), and most of the uncoventionals from CTP should go. They're idiotic. I, personally, have never been taken to another religion by some guy with a TV on his head.

Comment

A couple of things:
          1) I think that the scope of Civilization makes a "unit workshop" a little unusable. It was OK in SMAC because the time was substantially more compressed. However the ability to "enhance a unit" should be possible. (i.e. give nerve gas +X % attack or nuclear engines +2 move)

2) It should be absolutely allowed to upgrade units without any stinking wonders. (subject to a cost like SMAC)

3) The costs of maintaining "obsolete" units should grow over time. I.e. It will cost a heck of alot more to maintain a pikemen in 1980 than it did 1200 (i.e. the behind the scenes infrastructure)

4) Units should "improve" over time. After all weapon/unit/tactic design is a combination of iterative/evolutionary. Civ has done a good job of emulating the evolutionary aspect. catapult-cannon-artillery. However, the iterative is not so good. So I recommend that for each unit of unit type that is built, its strength is improved by say 5% (up to some sort of cap)

5) Units I would like to see that have not been in any of the previos civ games

Longbowman (early reinissance)

Cannonades (step between catapult and cannons) (late renissance)

Arqbues (sp) (Step between longbowmen and musketeers) (late renissance)

Biplane

I am sure I will think of others

Comment

I'll speak up for the special units. I won't mourn the loss of televangelists and slavers, mind you, but I think lawyers, clerics and corporate branches (toned down if you're really so concerned) or something like them should be included in Civ III along with spies and diplomats. These special units keep me interested in a game that might otherwise present nothing but a military challenge (boring... zzz... tank kills rifleman, tank kills rifleman... rifleman kills tank...)
            "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

hey JT

you didn't include any of my ideas

they can be found in the list thread at smac forum and the thread units 2

there are some good ideas, read them

------------------
              Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Sorry, Jon, but you have to realize that I _do_ have over 75 posts to read through. These were just topics talked about for a while. If you want people to see what you say, by all means, post it!

Comment

Yeah, special units do add flavor to the game, but _please_ get rid of Televangelists. If there's only one unit that you're going to get rid of, that one should be it.

I think they should come up with some new special units. Slavers were okay, spies definatly needed, same with diplomats. But, seriously, a _LAWYER_?!?! I mean, you're in the middle of a war in 2500 AD, and _noone_ happens to shoot the guy before he gets to them? And he _SUES_?! He's from another country! I don't think it's even possible unless you're in a really good peace treaty! And even if you _do_ do it during a peace treaty, doesn't the government drop all court problems if you join the military?

I think they really had some sad units.

Comment

No one ever mentions guerilla units. They would
                    1 Be invisible
                    2 Ignore zones of control
                    3 Not have any zone of control themselves
                    4 Be very weak offensively (because they're mostly good for blowing up improvements "pillaging")and not too strong defensively
                    5 Can join an enemy city as very unhappy citizen, in an attempt to put that city into revolt. This ability should replace the spy's ability to bribe a city into defecting.

Comment

You mean the spies ability to decrease the happiness in the city, right?

Yeah, guerrilla units would be cool. Except, I wouldn't use them, since I want land that's going to be mine soon to have the improvements to be intact. But, a lot of other people pillage, so this isn't a bad idea.

Comment

1.Maybe a mobile jamming unit! stops enemy from seeing plane attacks. Best used in stacks of corse!

2.some sort of crop plauge carrier

------------------
                        "War does not determine who is right,It determines who is left."
                        -Crusher-

"War does not determine who is right,It determines who is left."
                        -Crusher-

Comment

Yeah, and a jammer unit could counteract any radar or sonar posts in the area...
                          "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

Wait, wait, wait. I changed my mind. Why don't we just give Spies and Spy Planes the ability to (J)am radar instead.

[This message has been edited by EnochF (edited May 19, 1999).]

Comment

As I have stated before..Overhaul the nuclear missile and effects in a LARGE way...maybe as follows.

1.Decimates all military units in city (nuclear missiles would be specials and possibly exempt see point 5)radius,or set area if not used on city.
                              2 depletes civilian population by between 50 and 90%
                              (these are pretty similar to exsisting game nukes)
                              3 When a city/area has been "nuked" NO unit may enter the affected area for a set number of game turns.(In a city this eliminates paratroops dropping into a radioactive hellhole).
                              4.In the case of cities owning civ may build NOTHING,within that city, for same number of turns as units are excluded
                              5 And for me this is the clincher to simulate the "balance of terror"..Any city that is nuked(providing that one or more missiles are sited there) is given the oppotunity,provided the nescessary tech (computers perhaps) has been researched,to launch a reflex(sometimes called spasm) strike at the aggressor civ.

Personally I would enjoy the nuclear chessgame a lot more with this implemented
                              I'm not paranoid I KNOW they're watching me
                              EdCase

Comment

Working...
                              X