Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If radar jamming is implemented, to be realistic it should not just hide your activities, but it should re-engage the Fog of War. Since jamming is quite noticeable, the person being jammed should get a que that it is happening.

Comment

RADAR JAMMERS! That is such a great idea.... I can't believe noone thought of it before.... WOW..... great idea!
      -Civ3 Thread Master of OTHER and UNITS.
      "We get the paperwork, you get the game!"

Comment

Zorloc: In Call to Power terms, yeah, that's what I'm saying. Disabling the radar posts would simply bring back the fog of war. The player would know the radar post was out of commission and would be on guard.

There's no guarantee that "fog of war" will be in Civ III, but I think it's worth having.
        "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

I'm thinking more like this(this is in Civ2 terms):

A radar jammer will block the view of the player for one square on every side of it. In other words, even if you have already explored that part of the map, it will turn black. If one of your units or cities has vision range into the cloud, however, whatever squares its range is in the player can still see.

That would make for very intresting sneak attacks, no?

Comment

I think you missed one of the old ones JT.

MOBILE SDI

Again, against the AI, it doesn't matter since they only strike cities... But in MP, it would make nukes more fun.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Suggestions on nuclear weapons:
              1) Introduce missle silos as terrain improvements. Missle silos have a 50% chance to survive a fission weapon attack, and 25% chance to survive a fusion weapon attack. They are needed to reduce the vulnerability to First Strikes.
              2) Given spy satellite and radar station improvements, target city of a nuclear attack will autolaunch any available nuclear missles. Players will be prompted to give the destination for the counterattack.
              3) Allow building of nuclear bombs. They are cheaper than missles, but have to carried by bombers.
              4) Increase the range of nuclear missles. Their range should cover half of the map in the single turn. Russia's SS-18 could fly 14000 miles, about half of the earth's circumference.

Comment

Oops, thanks for reminding me. I liked that one.

I think your improvements on nukes are good, but either too strong or unneeded. Your saying if a country has fifty nukes and a spy sattelite, all 50 go to a single city?

Also, Nukes should stay at 16. I could be a tiny island nation that conquers the world with that long-range thing.

In short, tone it down a little bit.

Comment

1. Gurrilla units should have a fairly good attack, but should be lacking if they try and attack forts or cities.
                  2. I would like the option that you can take your military unit off of alert and make them terraform or let them gather minerals(like a supply crawler). This would be very useful when you are at peace but don't want to disband your army. The minerals gotten would mainly go to pay support and when that is paid it would go to the nearest city.

Comment

Yeah, I'd at least like to have them not need support if they're off alert. Then you can have a democracy going with a good standing army. Or at least it would be a lot easier to have one.

Comment

JT,

My suggestions may not be completely balanced. But I think something similar is going on in the real world. US has built hundreds of radar towers along the artic circle and dozens of spy satellites to detect a surprise attack by USSR. Usually a Russian ICBM will take 30 minutes to reach continental United States. If everything works smoothly in the command chain, the US President can order the retaliatory attack within 10 minutes. It would take another 10 or so to send missles into the air. Thus only 20 minutes passed from initial detection to allout nuclear attack. During most of the Cold War US adopted the policy of Massive Retaliation, implying any Soviet attack, including conventional one, against US or its allies would be met by a full scaled nuclear attack. So it's not absurd to fire all of your missles againt the enemy even he sents only one against you.

In Civ3, you can place many radar towers behind the border. Assume radar towers have a detection range up to 10 squares. If your towers detect a nuclear attack against you, all your nuclear missles within 16 squares of any enemy city will autolaunch. As a human player, you should be able to select targets for those missles individually. You also have the option of not firing your missles.

I hope the above explanation clears things a little bit.

Comment

I actually think nukes should be very long range (with the appropriate tech advances). A combined ICBM and submarine assault should be very devistating.

Additionally if a small nation is stockpiling enough nukes to conquer the world quickly, there should be a severe negative reaction agaist that nation, including breaking of alliances and trade agreements and possibly a pre-emptive strike.

Comment

Ah, Trancend, I see now. Thanks for clearing things up. I actually think that's not a bad idea.

Comment

Airships!

They could be used for bombarding, scouting or passenger transportation.
                            The best ideas are those that can be improved.
                            Ecce Homo

Comment

I would like units to be supported on a civilization wide basis like it is in CTP. HOWEVER unlike CTP, the city screen of each individual city will keep track of which units it created and it will let you know where those units are. That way you can zoom in on units easier.

Comment

Good idea, meowser.

Comment

Working...
                                X