Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I think everyone has said they want their own color. But, that should go in the interface section.

Yes, we have to make sure the units look like what they're supposed to be.(conversations with SMAC: "How the heck is that thing an artillery piece?!?!" )

I think there is a way to make the bombers do that, but I'll have to check.
    -Civ3 Thread Master of OTHER and UNITS.
    "We get the paperwork, you get the game!"

Comment

Leadership Units.

Generals, officer corps, governors and/or mayors, special explorers (Columbus, Leif Eriksson), special citizens (F. Nightengale, A. Einstein, JP Morgan).

These units spontaneously appear in your civ after certain techs or conditions have been achieved - on a relatively random basis. They contribute as modifies to an appropriate value.

Also, City Improvements could hasten the appearance of special units: Military Institute for officers, Stock Exchange for business moguls, University for scientists & humanitarians, etc., etc.,

Eventually, you could build units like officers hoping they'll become generals, and even if not, then they'll at least have positive modifiers. Build businessmen (like lawyers & corporate branch in CTP), build Peace Corps (like abolitionists & clerics).

How about a YOU unit? That is, the Great Leader him/herself? Get captured - bad news. Get killed - worse news. Provide bonuses & positive modifiers.

Comment

A few things:

First off: This apparently got missed from the last thread so I'll post it again.
        When disbanding units in a city, you should not receive any shields if you are building anything other than another unit.
        I've been playing with the bold too much, I think.

I really dislike the idea of upgrading units. Adding armor, additional abilities, etc. Too much micromanagement for this long term game. I've heard discussions on other forums about the idea that, based on the length of time you have a technology, the power of the unit that you get with the technology increases (too a point, obviously). This would add the element of realism without adding any micromanagement. For example. Lets say take tanks from CtP: 16a/16r/10d/6m. With this method (and throwing in hp/fp for realism), for the first few years, they would only be 14/14/8/4(25/3), then for the next 20-30 years (or turns), they would be 16/16/10/6(35/4), and finally the more modern ones would be 18/18/12/8(45/5), maxing out there, as you would move on to the next type of unit.

I think that special units such as the slaver and cleric can add alot to the game if they're implemented properly.

And JT, about your response to John Miller. It is your responsibility to make sure that all suggestions get carried over from one thread to the next. Not just the ones that are discussed most often. From your reply, this doesn't seem like your philosphy. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
        kmj

Comment

How about an early type of army-the seasonal army. You could build one at the cost of one population.Unfortunetly they would have to stay close to your borders and would be best a defense or attack of a close enemy city. With good morale they could put up a good fight-but not destroy in even combat enemy units. In stacks they destroy enemy units.

The late game version of this army(from colonial times on)would be the national gaurd. If a city of yours is attacked these people would appear in the citys you have them until your borders are safe.The national gaurd is activated whenever a enemy unit is in your borders.

These units would be made by asigning them as you would a laboror, entertainer or scientist.National gaurd would not be valible until modern times,but seasonal armys would
          have no advancements needed for them.

If one of these type of units is killed the population piont is lost.

These would best be used by the peace,love & joy player or by conquers to for an early edge or "just in case"

------------------
          "War does not determine who is right,It determines who is left."
          -Crusher-

"War does not determine who is right,It determines who is left."
          -Crusher-

Comment

I am sorry that not all the ideas were carried over. But there are a few reasons for them not coming:

1. I have 2 threads to manage, both with 100 or more posts

2. If an idea appears in one post, noone responds to it, and the author does not try to restate his idea, it might not make it

3. I might miss an idea. If I accidently click down twice instead once, I might miss a post

4. I misunderstand an idea, and therefore post something different

Once again, I apologize. I try to get most of the topics. As you can probably see, this thread is about to hit the 50 mark. I will first get the summary from the second post in this thread. Then, I will make a trip back to the old threads to see if I can find Jon's idea. Then, I will get the info from this thread. If I miss something, I apologize again. If there is a small post giving an idea that noone posts about again, it might not be in the initial summary, but I will either make another summary with the details from those posts, or the author can repost it.

Comment

THREAD CLOSED THREAD CLOSED THREAD CLOSED

Please go to "UNITS II", posted in a few minutes.

Thanks, JT. Our first closing on the new forum. Congratulations (again).

[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited May 20, 1999).]

Comment

Working...
              X