Retire or just quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retire or just quit?

Like in any strategy game, there comes a point when you know for a fact you aren't going to win.. Do you retire on purpose to add the score to the board or just quit in frustration?

Also, do you have any stories of loosing half your empire and still coming back for a victory?
    I play the game out completely, hoping to still win even though I know otherwise.
    8.22%
    I play the game out just to be complete and see who wins.
    2.74%
    I retire the game to get on the scoreboard
    19.18%
    I quit and restart a new game
    52.05%
    I reload saves and cheat my way to a victory.
    5.48%
    I eat a banana and choose randomly from the above.
    12.33%
    ~I like eggs.~

I voted to quit and restart... usually I know pretty early on if I'm going to like a game or not. There are times when a game goes awry and I dig way back and reload to a time when I can salvage it, but I wouldn't cheat my way to victory. If a map really sucks, I just roll the dice again by starting a new game.

As far as losing half my empire, I'd just go back a few hundred years and switch my entire economy to military and wipe out the bastards! Now that's justice!
    "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

I play for the fun factor. If the game bogs up and becomes dull, I'll quit and restart even if I in fact is winning the game.

But voted "quit and restart a new game".
      What makes me sad is that you in many cases know already after 30-40 turns of gameplay that you cannot win due to resourse placement and starting locations
      GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
      even mean anything?

Comment

Quit and restart. I play for fun, not to desperately win. Quite often, I would quite even if my game is going well. I can do that if I'm certain I'm going to win and thus it might get boring, or, most oftenly, I restart to try an other strategy, other traits etc. I find the fun in building my empire. Once it's there, it's not so inspiring anymore unless I want to try something in the modern era.

Comment

I play it out usually - because I will have a secondary goal.

When I started with the greeks - and had no copper, iron, or horses near my starting point,my goal was to survive long enough to get an army.

I did survivie by playing politics - and eventually came back to be a contender. But fail to remember if I won that game or not though.
          Early to rise, Early to bed.
          Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

I've done different things at different times. Mostly, however, I will retire and start a new game.

I don't cheat and make choices to fool myself into thinking I'm some kind of civ god. I play for fun.
            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

The only time I quit is when I have no soldiers left.

Comment

I have the opposite problem on the game I am in now. I am so far ahead I don't think I can lose; I have 2.75 times the score of the next civ, but there are still five civilizations left. Do I (a) go through the exercise of building through the modern period, (b) build up an army and plow through the other civs, (c) retire, or (d) just quit?

I am afraid if I try to retire it will give me a "Millard Filmore" type score for not finishing, but options (a) and (b) just seem like a waste of time now. Yes, I know it is time to bump up to the next difficulty level; this is only my second try at prince.

Comment

Sometimes I will quit and start over just because I know I screwed up what I wanted to accomplish. But this is my first ever CIV game so I am learning a lot every game. Having been playing on Prince I have a hard time imagining having a score 2.75 times the nearest competitor (unless a conquest game).

Comment

Originally posted by Veritass
                    I have the opposite problem on the game I am in now. I am so far ahead I don't think I can lose; I have 2.75 times the score of the next civ, but there are still five civilizations left.
                    When that happens I make best buddies with a smaller civ or two and beeline for the UN. You'll never get another bigger civ to vote for you, but smaller ones can put it over the top

If I'm winning I always play through hehe.
                    ~I like eggs.~

Comment

I don’t know that I’ve ever retired.

When I’m losing big and can’t recover, or the circumstance of the game/map is more pain than fun, then it is a clean restart. I would say 95% of my restarts are immediately preceded by my seeing something in the game and saying “Now that just sucks way too much.”

If I am winning big with little remaining competition or the game stagnates, I either quit, or open up the World Builder and somewhere on the map (by making islands usually) create a very large advanced Barb Civilization with tons of modern land units and lots of naval units (including plenty of Galleon/Transports) to spice things up.
                      "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by The keeper
                        I play it out usually - because I will have a secondary goal.

When I started with the greeks - and had no copper, iron, or horses near my starting point,my goal was to survive long enough to get an army.

I did survivie by playing politics - and eventually came back to be a contender. But fail to remember if I won that game or not though.
                        Could be fun as long as there is a real secondary goal to achieve. Often this is the case. Sometimes this seems to be impossible (for instance by the time a builder/culture minded player recognizes an A.I-opponent is going to get nearly ALL wonder sin the game all by himself due to a lucky super-capital beefed up with that early worker on higher difficulty levels + some marble and/or stone, it's often too late to change the course of the . Much production has gone to wonders you never got = virtually nothing. Army and expansion have been sacrificed. Due to limited expansion, also strategic resourses is sacrificd. WHen presented with theese cirmustances, I willingly restart.
                        GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
                        even mean anything?

Comment

It depends on how far I get and how attached I am to a civilization. I had a game where I was reduced to about 1/3 of my original cities and kept playing, knowing it was lost but enjoying seeing what was happening with my allies and enemies. A second war a few hundred turns later reduced me to one city (not my original capital, either), and I still stuck around to see if I could survive. I didn't.

But if it screws up early, or if I was unhappy with the way it was going for a while and then it really goes bad, I'll just restart. I have only retired on a couple of games.

Comment

Restart! Single player is about having fun for me. if I'm getting beat, it's time to restart. Occasionally, I'll go back and reload at an earlier date, but I keep a mental note that it's not a true win. Still, it's a great learning experience, and it's fun!

Most of the fun is before the modern era, where the game slows down quite a bit. So sometimes when a win is assured, I may even start a new one, just to get that new ancient era feeling again, where it seems so much of the game and intrigue occurs. But it's nice to bring closure to a good game, so I like to finish in style, to be weighed against other rulers in history. Last time I was Shaka Zulu! How fitting.

Comment

When the new patch turns up I'll consider playing to the end; until then CTDs & BSDs in the lategame have rather disrupted my playing..
                              Dom 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X