Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robots and their progress

Honda's new version of Asimo can do more things

Serving refreshments is one of the new tasks Honda's cutting-edge robot, Asimo, has learned during the past year. The company demonstrated the robot's new skills in a video released on Dec. 13, 2005.

Asimo learned how to run in 2004. The new version of Honda's robot can run 3.7 miles per hour--twice as fast as last year's model.

Asimo, at 4.25 feet tall, can push a cart weighing 22 pounds.

Dozens of servo motors help the robot execute complex motions smoothly.

Honda says that Asimo's ability to climb a set of stairs is the culmination of almost two decades of research and development.

Asimo uses 26 servo motors to balance on one foot.

Asimo can balance on one foot while kicking a soccer ball.

Asimo fans helped welcome the robot to Disneyland earlier in 2005.

Videos are here: http://www.world.honda.com/HDTV/ASIMO/
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

that is cool, as long as we have the ninja, pirate, and zombie armies ready

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

A.W.E.S.O.M.-O > Asimo

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The woman in the first photograph looks like that other Japanese robot...

Comment

Re: Robots and their progress

Originally posted by Asher

Honda says that Asimo's ability to climb a set of stairs is the culmination of almost two decades of research and development.
            I've seen a wheelchair do that. It could drive around on only two wheels as well with a person sitting in it. Awesome
            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              The woman in the first photograph
              I'd take that fine ass.

Oh wait, this thread is about robots?
              Lime roots and treachery!
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

"and for all you robo-chefs out there, i want to show you a nice way to create roast human - not that we need really eat them, but well the process is good for your cooking skills. And to think these creatures once ruled the world! ha! "
                Attached Files
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Hell Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron

I'd take that fine ass.

Oh wait, this thread is about robots?
                    I just can't help but think about the women in the pictures.

What do they see in the robot that they can't find in a great guy like me?

Comment

What I love about this, is that every movement he makes, is perfect. While it is obvious that a robot should be making perfect movements (e.g. when he runs, the distances between each step is exactly the same, and he can stop on an exact spot, with perfect alignment), I still find it an amazing turning point for what is to come: Robots with the inability to fail.
                      be free

Comment

Personally, I would rather that the robots be sold, rather than be PR pieces. Otherwise, it will take forever for much progress to be made.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

they have to do something useful first. They look pretty useless to me.

Comment

Well, then have them learn to do something useful. (Although in Japan, you could probably get away with it not doing anything useful.)
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                              Well, then have them learn to do something useful.
                              You are indeed a brilliant man.

Baby steps, Danny, baby steps.

I noticed you dropped your participation in the LCD/Plasma vs DLP thread.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X