The American Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The American Revolution

are there any scenarios out there that are really exceptional that cover this topic?

Sadly not many that I'm aware of. That is surprising because I'm certain there are enough era apropriate units done by Fairline for the subject. There are also more than enough city graphics, terrains and maps out there along with everything else one would need to take a run at this project.

I could be mistaken however and there may indeed be a good scenario out there somewhere floating around in cyberspace.

Comment

The one that came with CiC?
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

The only American Revolution scenario I know of his Microprose's. There was a time a few years ago when several of the old scenarios were given makeovers by some people (Case was one of them IIRC). But it still isn't great, especially compared to today's scenario offerings.

Comment

The CiC scenario isn't too awful and was one of the more entertaining scenarios in that package (remember the good old days when there was a company releasing expansions of Civ 2?). However, it wouldn't be too hard to improve on it.

From my limited understanding of the American War of Independence, it would work well as a Civ2 scenario. While the game engine can't really handle guerrilla warfare, the conventional warfare which played the key role in this war should be easily represented. An interesting twist would be to make all the units very expensive and hard to replace - this would neatly capture the highly risk adverse stategies used by the Americans and British.

Originally posted by H Tower
          There was a time a few years ago when several of the old scenarios were given makeovers by some people (Case was one of them IIRC).
          Thanks for jogging my memory! I hadn't thought of those scenario upgrades in years. If I could find the files I'd re-post them.
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Mike Daumen made one called "Birth Of America". You can find it on the Spanish Civ2 site.
            Follow the masses!
            30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Well there has been a great deal of interest as of late in updating some of these old classics.

I'm affraid I don't have the CiC scenario on my machine any more, but perhaps somebody could post it and I could take a look and see what I could do to help give it an update.

Comment

I'd like to, if I could find a serious partner, start and make a really nice scenario over this topic. I'd like to do it a bit like Red Front, and have seasons and stuff. If anyone has some real time and would like to help share the workload, it would be great. thanks.

Comment

Well I'd be glad to take a crack at updating it graphically as best we can, I always love to help out bring a classic up to date.

Comment

i'm seriously contemplating a whole new scenario, with seasons and such. i've made one scenario before and it was just ok. i'd like to really do something nice this time, with the correct battles and information and such. I made up a pretty nice map of the East Coast that I think would work pretty well. I just don't know how to do batch files and stuff. email me at dotcomguy50@yahoo.com if you want to help out at all.

Comment

Would this be an MGE scenario or a ToT scenario?

Comment

If you're serious about starting a new scenario, count on help from me, in whatever it might be, if you need it!

For batching, just take an existing batch from a scenario, rename it from *.bat to *.txt, and see how it's done. It's not very advanced programming. Even stupid me understood it relatively quick!
                        Last edited by Eivind IV; December 16, 2005, 03:00.
                        Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

MGE probably. i don't have ToT on my comp right now.

Comment

anyone have any units they could post in here? specifically British units and colonial stuff, but maybe also some native americans too.

Comment

anyone have a fortress pic that i could use? one kinda like the colonial one from civ 3...the ones shaped like pentagon?

Comment

Working...
                              X