Anybody got Augustus Caesar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody got Augustus Caesar?

holy cow I can't even get close. I thought I had a good game. Huge lead on everyone. Space victory in 1948, and all I got was Louis XVI or was it XIV?

And I'm ashamed to admit I did have one game where I got Dan Quayle. . That's a really tough scale it seems.

I'm guessing you have to totally dominate the game on Sid level to get the highest ranking.
    What is SportsDigs.com?

Comment

False.
      I get the highest ranking on a conquest victory at Noble level.

Edited:
      Wrong victory type
      bleh

Comment

Basically it's like this.
        Score is based on Territory and Victory Date, along with some other stuff (that tends to be proportional to territory size).

In short, hte larger your territory at time of victory, the higher your score.

Conquest, Domination and "Diplomatic Domination" tend to have the highest scores. Space race and culture gets lower scores. OCC victories get extremely low scores.

It's not about the difficulty of the victory or anything, it's just about the size of your empire when you win...

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
          Basically it's like this.
          Score is based on Territory and Victory Date, along with some other stuff (that tends to be proportional to territory size).

In short, hte larger your territory at time of victory, the higher your score.

Conquest, Domination and "Diplomatic Domination" tend to have the highest scores. Space race and culture gets lower scores. OCC victories get extremely low scores.

It's not about the difficulty of the victory or anything, it's just about the size of your empire when you win...
          that makes sense. I was taking a look at my hall of fame, and my conquest victory was the highest on there (even above my domination). Looks like I'll have to go back to my warmonger games. I can't remember what I got on that conquest victory, it may have been the second highest. My space race victories just aren't getting ****.

Comment

i dunno if it was a bug, but i got 26811 points on chieftan mode... i think that ended up as augustus caesar - whatever the top rank is.

i was really disappointed how easy it was to get the top rank score - especially on such an easy difficulty.

i had 6000 in-game score, won by diplomatic and was adjusted to 26000.

Comment

Although I've played dozens of games so far, I only took two of them to the bitter end. In both I got Augustus Caesar. One was a space race victory on a small map. The other was a domination victory on a standard map. I personally thought the second game was a more thorough ass-whipping of the AIs, but the scoring algorithm counted the first as better. Both of these games were on noble level. I've stopped playing at that level, now playing at prince.

By the way, In Civ2 and Civ3, I almost immediately leaped to playing at the highest levels. For some reason, I'm intimidated to do that in Civ4. Maybe I should try that??

Comment

The score should be based on size of the map, number of enemies, victory type and difficulty (and of course how good you are), and not just the size of the civ
                My highest score I've gotten (where I got Augustus Caesar) was playing on a duel sized map on noble. I was playing as the Aztec and the only other enemy I had was the english... within short time my Jaguars had taken all their cities and I won by conquest
                It doesn't seem possible to get such a score on a larger map
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Adagio, sure it does. Read my post right above yours.

Comment

I got Augustus Ceasar at Prince level, normal continents with a Domination in 1880.

When I won with Space Race in 1920 or something like that, I was about 4 ranks lower with only half as much points.

So, I guess I got a lot of points for the big population in my Domination game.

Comment

baboon, agree. I always play primarily for large population, and in all my games I'm WAY ahead on that. In my Augustus Caeser space race victory, for example, I had something like 80 percent of the world population and could have won by domination or conquest.

Comment

The best way to boost your score is to win earlier. I won in 660AD once and I got something like 40,000 points

Comment

I've got a big problem with the victory score system because its far more dependant on victory date than the quality of your civilization. Someone racked up 80,000 points in the first Apolyton competition game by securing world conquest. Of course it was done by skillful playing but you're never going to get anything like that score by securing a space or diplomacy victory that cannot be achieved until you hit the modern era.
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Grumbold,

I think that's just fine. It was much harder logistically to conquer the world in the days before mass transport, modern medicine, telecommunications etc.

The ancient Greeks or the Roman Empire will be held in higher esteem than the British Empire by historians two hundreds years hence, don't you think?

Comment

I got August with a Prince Diplomatic win in my last game. Was kind of surprised to get the "top rank" so easily.
                              "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                              "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                              "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                              X