Naval strategy questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval strategy questions

Hey guys, long time Civ'er here... I don't post much at all, but lurk alot. A few questions about naval game mechanics:

1) What exactly is the criteria for circumnavigating the globe first, to get the movement bonus for ships? I could swear I moved a ship all the way around the world first, but the bonus went to someone else. I obviously missed something. So what are the exact requirements (other than being the first to do "it", whatever "it" is)?

2) I take it that Optics is the very first technology that will allow you to build a naval vessel capable of circumnavigating the globe (with a Caravel)? This assumes, of course, that you are on a landmass that is isolated enough that you can't somehow pull this off with a work boat, or Galley.

3) For that matter, if you WERE on a landmass that isn't isolated, say, close enough to one of the poles, CAN you get this bonus with a Galley or Work Boat?

-Ganraeln

Apparently the game calculation of "circumnavigating the globe" is pretty simple: You must have revealed from the black fog-of-war one square in every column of squares around the world. It doesn't matter HOW you reveal them. If you sail two caravels loaded with explorers, one east and one west, they stop when they hit the other continent and the explorers meet in the center like the transcontinental railway, then that counts. If you explore 3/4 of the way around the world and then buy the world map of the guy stuck on the lone island to fill in the rest, that counts. There just must be at least one square revealed in every north/south column.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Quillan
      Apparently the game calculation of "circumnavigating the globe" is pretty simple: You must have revealed from the black fog-of-war one square in every column of squares around the world. It doesn't matter HOW you reveal them. If you sail two caravels loaded with explorers, one east and one west, they stop when they hit the other continent and the explorers meet in the center like the transcontinental railway, then that counts. If you explore 3/4 of the way around the world and then buy the world map of the guy stuck on the lone island to fill in the rest, that counts. There just must be at least one square revealed in every north/south column.
      Are you sure this is true? I had a situation on a Terra map where I sent two Caravels in opposite directions and when they met in ocean, I didn't get the bonus. My opponent got the bonus a few turns AFTER me...
      "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Two posibilities...

A) your caravel paths did not meet.

2) Somone circumvented the globe first, but your turns were ending too quickly to get the "news updates" and you didnt recieve it til a few turns later when you slowed down enough to catch up on the news.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Originally posted by Hauptman
          2) Somone circumvented the globe first, but your turns were ending too quickly to get the "news updates" and you didnt recieve it til a few turns later when you slowed down enough to catch up on the news.
          Yeah, I'm thinking this is what most likely happened. Good call.
          "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Quillan
            You must have revealed from the black fog-of-war one square in every column of squares around the world... There just must be at least one square revealed in every north/south column.
            Do these squares not need to overlap?

For example, say I start on Longitude 0 with caravels at Latitude 60N and 60S. If I send one due E and one due W and they get around to Longitude 90E and 90W respectively, but are still seperated by 120 degrees of Latitude, I would still get the bonus?

Comment

Well, from experience, one heading west near the north polar icecap and one heading east near the equator will give the bonus when they reach the same longitude.

Comment

I would have just edited the previous post, but it won't let me attach anything there. Here's a screenshot from my most recent game. I got the bonus without any of the paths meeting.
                Attached Files

Comment

Cool, thanks for the information. Also how do you pull up that event log?

Comment

Originally posted by CodeNameSly
                    Cool, thanks for the information. Also how do you pull up that event log?
                    Ctrl-Tab

Comment

On some maps, it is possible to circumnavigate with a galley. You just have to have coastline all the way across. I have done this on archepeligo maps twice.
                      Early to rise, Early to bed.
                      Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganraeln
                        3) For that matter, if you WERE on a landmass that isn't isolated, say, close enough to one of the poles, CAN you get this bonus with a Galley or Work Boat?
                        You can get the bonus if there is enough coastline all the way around the world for you to follow, meaning that continents were at most 2 squares away from each other at some point. The poles don't count as coast though, so you can't follow the poles around the planet with a galley or work boat.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

That used to work in Civ I, though...
                          Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

You can even get the bonus without moving a ship, if you buy maps from the others in the game.

Comment

Does anyone know of any other hidden 'first to..' bonuses like this? Apart from the documented stuff in the civilopaedia I mean..
                              Dom 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X