• Show
Clear All

• [Scenario]Roman Kings

The scenario is now available for play!

Download version 0.2.032 here.

File Uploaded on the 7th december 2005

Install instructions
    1. Unzip the file.
    2. Put the Roman Kings.Civ4WorldBuilderSave file inside the Program Files/Firaxis Games/Civ4/Public Maps folder.
    3. Put the Roman Kings folder inside the Program Files/Firaxis Games/Civ4/Mods folder

What the scenario offers:
    Map of Rome and its surroundings
    Religions: New religions for the all the major early Roman gods. Each religion has a different impact on play.
    Religious buildings - their function depends on the religion! Some will give xp to units, others will give promotions. Others yet will have economic benefits.
    Techs - completely new tech tree, to represent the period.
    Graphics - New graphics for techs & religions.
    Civics - New and re-worked civics for the period
    Gameplay - Quite unlike the normal civ4 gameplay: 'Take & hold', then consolidate, finally go on a rampage.

Scenario Description
    This scenario aims at re-enacting the founding of ancient rome.
    It takes place from 753BC up 509 BC (the start of the republic).
    It is a short scenario, aimed at having fun, and examining the feasability of a bigger roman scenario up to the punic wars.
    Feauturing warriors under Romulus abducting sabine wives, vestal virgins under Numa Pompilius, and much more.
    The scenario is designed for single player play only. Rome is the only playable civilisation.
    This is a war scenario: Rome is at war with everyone. Expansion can to be achieved by conquest only

Changes since previous versions
    v0.2033 - Added copper next to Rome, until I implement events to help take over Alba Longa

Future releases to-do list
    New graphic for each new tech & civic
    2 more new gods: Juno & Minerva, with special buildings associated. These make Quirinus and Mars buildings obsolete.
    Cathedral type buildings to provide extra-ordinary unit xp/promotions, economic benefits
    Wonders with appropriate benefits (circus maximus, temple of Diana, etc)
    Balance? (research costs, unit costs, unit stats, building benefits, civic effects, etc)
    Re-skin praetorian unit, and use different versions for different periods of the scenario, with different stats.
    Re-skin roads and implement 'roman roads' (faster movement, strategic resource trading)
    Slow down city growth by 75%, and add biology type tech available to romans/etruscans
    Re-draw map to show more of Latinium and less of Etruria?
    Add horses & equestrian type cavalry
    New eras - one for each king, with music/graphic/tech rate, etc changes
    High council of Latinium (United Nations) - built in Alba Longa?
    Neglect of the gods technology to disable some early buildings
    Shrine special benefits & fonts
    Edit AI research priorities to go for archery sooner.
    Pedia & strategy texts
    International game texts?
    Temples give bonuses only if their religion is the state religion?
    Change loading hints to Roman Kings specific hints
    Python intro screen
    Remove/Disable unused buildings/techs.
    Romulus leaderhead & flag.
    Anything else?

What I most need help on:
    Graphics (leaderhead, flag, tech buttons, religious buttons, fonts & buildings),
    Python scripting (events, intro, etc)
    Sounds & Music

Warning
    The scenario is designed to be challenging. Don't expect an easy ride, even on easy levels.
    Last edited by Fireb; December 7, 2005, 14:02.
    The Roman Kings scenario is now ready for play: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...tin.com/forum/

Fireb, over on CivFanatics there's a guy planning to create an Etruscan civ. I think it's the one who made the Italian civ. Perhaps something you can use for your scenario.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Thanks for the tip GeoModder. It would make a nice addition. I've contacted him to see where things are.
      The Roman Kings scenario is now ready for play: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...tin.com/forum/

Comment

(edited)
        Last edited by Fireb; December 6, 2005, 17:06.

Comment

The scenario is almost ready for play - I'll be releasing a first version in a few hours.

I've decided to put in some custom graphics, to spice things up.

Here's a clip of the dreaded wife snatchers

Comment

Well...there's been a setback...

Everything looks fine and works fine, except that I get a systematic crash-to-desktop if I 'end turn' after starting a new game. Obviously this is caused by one of the things I changed. I don't know what exactly, and as I didn't make enough backups...I may have to redo a lot of things from scratch.

Bear with me

Comment

First rule of modding: Never make premature announcements
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                First rule of modding: Never make premature announcements
                I live to learn

But now that I know what I'm doing...I've been able to make a proper design, which will lead to a better implementation

Comment

Ok! The first playable version is ready

Appologies for the delay.

See the first post for details/download.

Comment

Lemme see if I find time to playconquer Latinum.

Edit: what's the map size? Anything larger then small is unfortunately not playable on my comp (in the long run at least).
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                      Lemme see if I find time to playconquer Latinum.
                      Lol

Edit: what's the map size? Anything larger then small is unfortunately not playable on my comp (in the long run at least).
                      Map size is 45x45, so in between small and standard. There is a lot of water though, which reduces memory use. The only way you'll know if it's playable is if you play it though

Comment

Interesting idea, and a pretty good total conversion, but even on low levels I tend to peter out in the mid-600s and quit. I can typically capture 2 cities using my initial contingent of veteran warriors; no more, though. Do I just need to build up a stack of 20+ warriors and throw them against Alba Longa? I don't see any other way to get copper...

Comment

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out Kidinnu.

I'm planning to use python events to 'help' rome capture Alba Longa. In the meantime though, Rome needs copper! Otherwise, you're quite right, getting more than 2 cities without copper is nigh-on impossible. I've uploaded a modified version with copper next to Rome
                          Last edited by Fireb; December 7, 2005, 14:04.

Comment

I conquered 2 cities of the latins and 2 more cities, but yes, without copper is more or less gaining xp, and then launching 15 or 20 warriors with promotions over one city.
                            Clasificación APT 2009: 91 puntos (4°) Clasificación APT 2010: 104 puntos (4°)
                            Clasificación APT 2011: 70 puntos (10°) Clasificación APT 2012: 87 puntos (12°)
                            Clasificación APT 2013: 90 puntos (12°) Clasificación APT 2014: 131 puntos (5°)

Comment

Even once you put in the events there there's a bit of a catch in the tech tree - you have copper, and the ability to build mines, but you don't have roads until Neglect of the Gods, so the copper down by Alba Longa won't do you any good unless the AI's roaded it for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X