AI Personalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI Personalities

I haven't been able to figure out yet if the AI leaders have actual "personalities" beyond the 2 traits that are assigned to each of them at the start of the game.

Are some leaders more aggressive, passive, friendly, traitorous than others by default?

It seems to me so far that all of the leaders play very similar (which is quite disappointing). Each one seems to trade and then betray/attack me in the same series of events and it's rather repetitive to see it go down the same way time and again in the same game.

Actually, I guess I'm in the minority on this game but as much as I've loved the series, I'm finding that playing Civ gives me a sense of constant deja vu. There's just nothing that fresh or surprising aside from the unexpected/expected betrayal that is always a few turns away.

Im sure ive read somewhere that it ses for instance

Ghandi is more peaceful by nature - thats not to say he wont defend himself if threatend. Gengis khan on the other hand is aggresive by nature and will pull out all the stops to expand his empire.

May be it was in the manual or somewhere or jus maybe im making it up

plus there must be predifined personalities or the option to have random personalities would be obsolete!

Comment

That's my question: If I click on 'random personalities' then what does that actually change? Does in change their traits (like creative, financial, etc.) or does it change their actual behaviors?

Comment

no their traits would stay the same, but randomise their personality in terms of .....

e.g

frequenciality (maybe i jus made up a word) of trade propositions, or ofteness to demand items. or percentage war/peace minded

this is what i gathered i may be rong, if some one knows that i am rong then keep it to yourself - let me look good (lol- so jokin)
        Last edited by waluigi2k5; November 30, 2005, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by kakupacal
          That's my question: If I click on 'random personalities' then what does that actually change? Does in change their traits (like creative, financial, etc.) or does it change their actual behaviors?
          This is a good question. What's the answer?
          Steve Clark

Comment

Some civ personalities are more likely to declare war on you, Montesuma and Alexander for example. Other civs are rather tight wadded when it comes to trading. I'm guessing Tokugawa fits that description. By randomizing their personalities, Ghandi might behave like Alexander, and Rossevelt, who seems pretty easy to trade with, will become more of a hard nose like Tokugawa.

Comment

Re: AI Personalities

It seems to me so far that all of the leaders play very similar (which is quite disappointing). Each one seems to trade and then betray/attack me in the same series of events and it's rather repetitive to see it go down the same way time and again in the same game.
              If you find that all the leaders tend to back-stab you at some point, then without doubt, this is caused by you having a too weak military. There most definitely ARE huge differences in how different leaders act, but what is common to all leaders is that if they when they see an opportunity, they'll grab it. Thus, if you have a weak military, you WILL be attacked.

Always keep an eye on the graph that shows the relative military strengths; you don't want to be left too far behind the strongest powers in the game.

As for personalities, here's a few descriptions of the ones that tend to stand out:

Montezuma will probably attack you no matter what, he's a real nut - he'll even send his forces half way across the globe to attack you, if he doesn't share a border with you. Though you might be able to befriend him if you agree to join him in a war against someone else. But you'll always have to be on the lookout for betrayal with Monty.

Isabella of spain is notoriously particular about religion - if you have a different state religion from hers, and won't agree to switch, you can pretty much count on coming to blows with her at some point. If you share the same religion though, she'll think the world of you.

Tokugawa is a xenophobe - approaches all other nations with deep suspicion. Very difficult to be on good terms with him.

Hatshepsut plays for a diplomatic victory - she tends to fall back in research, and will try to be friends with you.

Gandhi is a peaceful builder - won't stab you in the back unless you are significantly weaker. Watch out for him in the space race, that's what he seems to be aiming for.

That's just a few of them. They all have their perculiarities, and all seem to play a little different.
              Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

I found Isabella more of a PITA, as a result she's #1 on my hit list. If she's not neighbouring me, I will bribe somebody else who is to beat her up.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I found that industrious Civs are the real pain in the *** since they tend to crank out both units and wonders en masse. In all the games I played so far, industrials civs have been my main opponents.

Isabella, Montezuma, and Tokugawa never concern me too much. They have never come close to achieve victory and I have always destroyed them whenever convenient.

Comment

Yes personalities are all different, based on the various factors in the leaders xml file. Randomise personalities doesn't change traits just personalities. They may seem to all play similarly but play a while longer with some of the same ones and you will notice the trends.
                    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by One_more_turn
                      I found that industrious Civs are the real pain in the *** since they tend to crank out both units and wonders en masse.
                      Industrious means the leader can build wonders faster. It doesn't mean he or she can build everything faster.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: AI Personalities

Are some leaders more aggressive, passive, friendly, traitorous than others by default?
                        turns away.

Absolutely!
                        Though If your military is very weak it may seem like anyone is ready to backstab you.
                        You should defend all you cities with at least some 3-4 units. And those cities witch are under a direct threat of a possible invasion should have many many more units.

Though the personalities of the different leaders are so obvious you should note a difference quite easeily.
                        Someone already pointed out witch leaders in particular stands out.
                        Togugawa is almost impossible to trade with, Gandhi pumps out wonders like hell, Isabella is a religious freak, Monty is just plain mad ( He often ruin the game for himself by going into random and stupid wars )
                        I find Alexander as the most dangerous A.I
                        (A warmonger that, in opposite to Monty, goes into smart, controlled wars)

Not all warmongers are nessesarily the worst backstabbers. Khengis and Cublai Kahn tend to be quite honorable once trust has been won and less likely to backstab in opposite to Alexander and Ceasar for instance.
                        GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
                        even mean anything?

Comment

Re: Re: AI Personalities

Originally posted by Saurus
                          Though If your military is very weak it may seem like anyone is ready to backstab you.
                          The difference being how weak your military has to be for them to backstab you.
                          "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                          Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Axxaer
                            Yes personalities are all different, based on the various factors in the leaders xml file. Randomise personalities doesn't change traits just personalities. They may seem to all play similarly but play a while longer with some of the same ones and you will notice the trends.
                            Can you expand on this, please?
                            Steve Clark

Comment

Not all warmongers are nessesarily the worst backstabbers. Khengis and Cublai Kahn tend to be quite honorable once trust has been won and less likely to backstab in opposite to Alexander and Ceasar for instance.

Havent really noticed with ghengis, but kubli is for sure a good friend. once he's found someone else to beat up.

by the way, my current home game i have spent thousands of years allied with tokagawa and montezuma. any time they went to war and asked, i joined in. monty was pleased with me and ya know what? He still snuck attacked me, and my military was mighty (for my standards) as i had been expecting him to turn on me.

We'll see if tokagawa ever turns on me.
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Working...
                              X