• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe there is hope out there yet
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Is it possible for this game be continued under version 1.61 or would there be problems?
      Last edited by Verrucosus; May 6, 2006, 11:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Verrucosus
        Is it possible for this game be continued under version 1.61 or would there be problems?
        I have played the last session with 1.61, without problems.

Comment

Great! If I may, I will try this.

Comment

Great! If I may, I will try this.
            Go ahead, it's free for all. We look forward to your progress!

Comment

Thank you. I'll try to play it this evening.

Comment

1040 BC - Pharaoh Makahlua asks Verrucosus to serve as Vizier.

1000 BC - The Grand Imperial Road from Memphis to Heliopolis is finished. A group of workers is sent to construct sheep pasture near Heliopolis

975 BC - A second group of workers is sent to construct horse ranch near Heliopolis. The vizier follows local recommendations to boost city production over calls to first develop a nearby gold mine to fight the budget deficit (-2 per fiscal period).

950 BC - Warriors are trained in Heliopolis and sent to protect Memphis. New recruits in Heliopolis will be trained as scouts with plans to send them across the seas to explore barbarian territory discovered by the "Chosin Few" Regiment. Verrucosus' claim that fishing boats can in time be changed to transport troops to other continents is met with scepticism among Egyptian traditionalists.

925 BC - Heliopolis grows. Egyptian researchers discover the technique of writing. Verrucosus advises the Pharaoh to propose an Open Borders Agreement to Tokugawa. The agreement would give free passage to the "Chosin Few" Regiment currently cut off by Japanese territory. Tokugawa declines. The Pharaoh is not amused. Contemplating the possibility of armed conflict, the research of Sailing and Pottery is postponed in favour of Bronze Working.

900 BC - Warriors from Heliopolis arrive at Memphis and assume garrison duty.

875 BC - The sheep pasture near Heliopolis is complete. The workers are dispatched to finally develop the nearby gold mine. Japanese forces conquer the barbarian lands in the south-west.

850 BC - The people of Thebes rejoice as the city grows and completes the Oracle. Pharaoh Makahlua's visits to the Oracle leave him in an elevated state of mind and prompt him to promulgate Makahlua's Code. In the prologue, the Pharaoh promises "to bring about the rule of righteousness in the land so that the strong should not harm the weak." Government spin doctors claim that this is the dawn of the "Classical Age". Thebes begins the construction of a library. Meanwhile, Memphis enjoys an increase in happiness and cultural activity after accepting the teachings of Confucius. After being advised that there is no risk of anarchy or diplomatic repercussions, Confucianism is adopted as Egypt's official religion. Memphis builds an archer regiment begins to train new workers.

825 BC - Heliopolis dispatches scouts to snoop near the Japanese border. Enjoying boosted production from a new horse ranch, the city begins to train settlers.

800 BC - Egyptian scientists discover the advance of Bronze Working. After introducing Slavery and ordering scientists to research Sailing, Verrucosus is sacked as vizier. The Pharaoh is very sceptical about overseas expansion. He is now looking for a new vizier to give him a fresh perspective and help him to decide how to deal with the "Japan Question".

Demographics and savefile to follow.
                Attached Files

Comment

Egyptian Demographics in 800 BC.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Finally, here's the save file.

Now that I have lost power anyway, analysis and criticism of my turn of office is welcome. I suppose the research choices were the most critical ones. I regret not to get Pottery (we dropped from 1st to 2nd in GNP), but I felt Bronze Working would be more helpful. Well, I couldn't know that there was no copper around, could I?

Well, before this turns into an elder statesman's memoir, let me just say that it's been a pleasure. I had watched some succession games, but never participated myself. I tend to play slowly anyway, but writing a summary really forces you think about each decision. (It must be quite a task during the late stages of the game when there is much more to do each turn.)

Long live the Pharaoh!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I regret not to get Pottery (we dropped from 1st to 2nd in GNP), but I felt Bronze Working would be more helpful.
                      Indeed, BW was the right choice. With no source of copper nearby, maybe we should next go for IW. But that will be the choice of the next player, whoever that may be; I'm not playing right now, because I had the session just before.

Comment

Having thought about it, I would tend to agree about Iron Working. Tokugawa may be up to something and it would be difficult to fight him with war chariots and horse archers only. If there were no iron either, we would be in real trouble, so we should better find out sooner rather later. No research points have been invested into Sailing yet, so the next player is entirely unrestrained in his choice.

Comment

Well, if noone else wants to, I'm doing the next turns...

By the way, the extension of the last saved game somehow had only lower-case letters, so CIV 4 did not recognise it as a valid game, it had to be renamed.

The report:

Switched research to Iron Working, moved one citizen each in Thebes and Memphis to get in in 7 turns; it doesn't affect the building in Thebes, and Memphis will switch back in a few turns.

-775: Confucianism spread in Thebes by the missonary.

-750: Confucianism spreads in Heliopolis. We are now completely Confucianistic.

-725: The borders of Memphis have expanded. I have run the scout into a dead-end, entirely unprovoked, because I didn't look well enough at the screenshots. Bah.

The gold mine near Heliopolis is connected to the main trade network. Memphis switches back from wine to forest.

-700: The borders of Thebes expand. Heliopoils is training a settler. Preparing for a possible war against Tokugawa, workers are building roads towards him, until IW is researched.

-675: Nothing happens.

-650: A library is built in Thebes. Thebes starts building a War Chariot.

-625: Researchers discover IW. There are sources of iron in the northern tundra, which will come into our cultural reach in about 50 turns. Also, Tokugawa has iron. There is no copper visible in Tokugawa's territory, so, until he gets IW, he doesn't have axemen.

Memphis starts on barracks after creating a worker.

Next in research is Mathematics. We don't really have that many things to do for the worker, so he gets going to build the road towards the new eastern city site.

-600: Thebes builds a war chariot, starts another one.

-575: Heliopolis build the settler, who makes its way onto the nice lands in the east. Heliopolis then starts on an archer for self-defence.

-525: Thebes finishes the war chariot, starts another one.

OK, that's the situation. I'm building war chariots with strength 5 instead of horse archers with 6, because they have half the price (25 to 50) and a 20% withdrawal chance, whereas the horse archer bonus against catapults is not yet of relevance. I do think that we have to kill Tokugawa rather soon, to get to the iron and to leave more breathing space for our people.

The saved game.

Comment

been awhile since I have done 10

I will do 10 after you phlucas
                            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

It seems we are running again.

10 for Platypus Rex, then we have FeMme, maybe Verrucosus again...? I hope we are gaining momentum!

Comment

Cool, so you did get my request yesterday I tried to post it about 10 times to no avail, very frustrating! Does Apolyton crash like that often? I hope not, I think I've been suffering from withdrawal symptoms!
                                Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Member of Team Southern Cross in Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game
                                Member of the Great Council of the Horde in Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                                X