Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Succession Game

Hey everyone:

I've been reading the two accounts of succession games and I am very interested in playing that way! Sounds like a good way to prevent civ2 from taking over my life for days at a time, as it often does. After all, I am trying to earn a degree here!

Anyway, I have to admit that the whole green-peace idea doesn't excite me too much.

I have wanted to see how people handle the challenges of playing on a giga-map; obviously, experimentation on one's own in this vein is very costly in terms of time. Therefore I propose a giga map (perhaps the original gigaworld?) succession game.

Any thoughts?

Original gigaworld should be modified to 64 landmasses, so the AI can handle it.

Comment

Gigaworld? Is this an MGE map you are talking about?

If I can find the proper patches to load up MGE again I would be interested in the game you are proposing.

Comment

The further from generic 2.42 or MGE you get, the harder it will be to find other players.

I'd be interested in another Early Landing or OCC competition, but I wonder if there are other takers too.

Comment

Could someone clarify what Ecthy is talking about?
          I was under the impression that anyone (using 2.42 or MGE) could load a save of a gigamap game. By gigaworld I meant one of the first maps to come out by the creator of the No-limits add-on which is just a, well, giga-sized Earth map. I would love it if someone with more experience handling things like this would take some charge here; if not, I'll give it a go. Anyone else interested?

Comment

As I said above, I would be interested, but first I need to know which version of Civ II you are planning on using, 2.42, ToT, or MGE, and if ToT or MGE, what patch level, and what mods, if any, you plan to use.

See, if it's any version other than vanilla 2.42 I will need to load and patch from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by defrancoj
              Could someone clarify what Ecthy is talking about?
              The earlier versions of CivII have limited counters for landmasses, so once the number exceeds 64 the AI gets confused and does not process them correctly. Gigamaps usually exceed that; a number of large Classic maps run over the limit too. Start Civ2Map and set the dimensions to 90x120 and ask for a map with many small islands ("archipelago"), and you will get a warning about exceeding the limits.

I was under the impression that anyone (using 2.42 or MGE) could load a save of a gigamap game.
              Not true. You need the No-Limits patch for MGE; I don't think Classic can do it.

Comment

What I had in mind was the latest version of MGE with theno-limits add-on. If anyone wants to throw any other ideas out there I'd gladly participate in some other project (though I must say I was turned off by the green-peace project, as I'm not much of an environmentalist).

Comment

Well, I may not be able to participate after all. I have been searching the web (after finding out that Apolyton no longer hosts the MGE 1.3 patch) and have not been able to find the patch. So, any MGE game that I can't run unpatched is likely out of my grasp.

Are you sure you wouldn't care to do a 2.42 succession game?

Comment

Originally posted by defrancoj
                    What I had in mind was the latest version of MGE with theno-limits add-on. If anyone wants to throw any other ideas out there I'd gladly participate in some other project (though I must say I was turned off by the green-peace project, as I'm not much of an environmentalist).
                    Ahh, but environmentalism isn't the point. There's not a lot of challenge in beating the AI in a conventional game, so many of the past succession games have featured an oddball rule - or group of rules - to add challenge to the game.

No 2-move attack units, no whales, and no terrain improvements (among other things) might add enough of a degree of difficulty to keep things interesting
                    Last edited by Six Thousand Year Old Man; November 28, 2005, 22:53.
                    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

....is this where I confess that I don't always walk all over the AI?

Comment

Originally posted by John-SJ
                        Well, I may not be able to participate after all. I have been searching the web (after finding out that Apolyton no longer hosts the MGE 1.3 patch) and have not been able to find the patch. So, any MGE game that I can't run unpatched is likely out of my grasp.

Are you sure you wouldn't care to do a 2.42 succession game?
                        The CivFanatics site (/Civ2/Downloads/Utilities) has NoLimits patches for MGE and ToT, as well as the MGE 1.3 patch and one of Cedric's patches that converts versions (his own site has more).

I prefer 2.42 games, as I think the AI diplomacy is more reasonable than MGE/ToT, but it seems MGE is the most common version out there for Civ2.

Comment

Thank you Elephant, I found it.

So, I guess I can participate after all. Now all we need a some more players.

Comment

I don't have the no-limits patch, so I shall be watching this one from the sidelines. Good luck guys.

RJM at Sleeper's
                            Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

If you would like to join in you can certainly add the patch. It doesn't change the game at all except to allow bigger maps, higher populations, and a larger treasury.

Sure you wouldn't like to join in?

Comment

Working...
                              X