Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold And Blood

GOLD AND BLOOD

A scenario I made during the last week. Nothing special really. The intro text:

The tools which would teach men their own use would be beyond price.
    -Plato (427-347 BC)

The years between the Persian Wars and the rise of Alexander the Great are considered the golden age of antiquity. Never before and never again would so many groundbreaking ideas and philosophies arise in such small space and such a short time frame. Two thousand and five hundred years later, mankind would still relish from the scientific and philosophic ideals founded in this age.
    Tragically, it was also an age of hatred and violence; this world arose in fire and went down in fire again, and the Pelopponesian and Corinthian wars would mark the era more than any intellectual achievement. The Classical Age was written with gold and blood.

Here is an excerpt from the Readme:

How long has it been... My last scenario was released over two years ago, and since I have done only very little in the Civ2 world. This is exclusively due to the Real World- my final exams at school, my civil service, moving to a new town, moving back, shifting interests, in short, a time of very little orientation and complete chaos. Now that things are starting to settle again, and my studies are beginning, I have regained some of my love for ancient history and Civ2. I did this scenario for my own pleasure, as I wanted to play something that was like what is depicted here. Thus, it may not meet some player's demands, as it was not even intended for a broad release when I started it. You will find much to be desired, especially as there are no, I repeat, no text messages popping up within the scenario- the whole events file is made up of game mechanics. I felt no desire for such messages, as I have a vivid imagination and a broad library on the subject matter to keep it interesting for myself.
    I had to relearn many basic things on scenario design, and this scenario might be something like a refreshment before I create something totally new and original. Thus, this scenario contains almost no new graphics -90% were made by Fairline, most others by Bernd Brosing and some very few by myself- and new ideas are limited. It is a straightforward scenario without much ado, and it's also a subject I have ridden to death already, namely classical antiquity, Greece and Persia. As I said, I made this scenario for myself, but I have decided to release it nevertheless- if only because I felt like it. It was made in three or four days and is really nothing special.

The scenario lets you play with the Carthaginians, Spartans, Syracusans, Independent Greeks, Persians, Athenians and Etruscans.

It is not entirely finished yet. I will add a Describe file some time later as well as make a couple of adjustments. I'm not really in the mood for this kind of thing right now due to real-life reasons.

Special thanks goes to fairline, the dream of any scenario designer.

Enjoy!
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Glad to see you back, Stef!!

I just started a game, it's too early for much comment, but I noticed something that's probably (??) not wanted: you can trade (or steal) the Carthaginian, Spartan, Syracusan, etc techs!

Making them no, no instead of no, nil should prevent that!
    Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
    Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
    POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
    LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Checking it out now!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Same here ...

Good to see you back

Comment

The Classical Age was written with gold and blood.
          dude, you choosed an excellent name for the scen!!!!!

a general feedback???

the scenario is quite interisting playing from all the sides, which is something hard to find. many scens are designed to be played by just an specific civ, here you can get many interisting challenges

the graphics are very good, good choice, it's very "enjoyable" to my eyes, i like when each resource, unit, terrains are well defined.

what is real good is the idea that you have many cities with size 1 and on islands!!!!. this gives you the chance that you have to focus on developing first more than triggering wars, most scens should implement this. i give you 10 poinys in this feature

what i disliked and i guess it has to do with you being busy, is the poor and not very huge tech tree, i see this scen for developing civs and a tech tree to follow must be very important, may be you are planning to improve this?????

this scen is quite familiar with John Ellis0s Hellas, i guess you took some ideas from there

try to keep building on the thing i remarked, for sure it will be very good!!!!!

good luck.

Comment

... downloading now...
            welcome back to work, Stefan

and I like your chose of the classical era, of course
            I'll try it ASAP.
            "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

A quick note from mid-test:

Nice design ideas in this one - The Imperial bodies and forts being prime examples...!

Simple, yet engaging - The hallmarks of a true master...
              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am able to trade civ-specific techs, is this intended? Also, a lot of the wonders do not appear on the civilopedia... I had to check the rules to know that the wonder being built on Jerusalem was Shakespeare's...
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Excellent

Downloading now....
                  http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Thanks. I have always enjoyed your scenarios.
                    Virginia Tech Hokies--->GO HOKIES!!! TechSideline.com

Comment

Aright, I will fix that Tech bug. Thanks for the nice words everybody
                      If somebody can provide me with a vanilla English Describe.txt file, I will unvanilla it
                      Follow the masses!
                      30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Attached Files
                        "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                        It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Just kicked off as Carthage Stefan, and all my pesky cities went into rebellion on turn 1.

Noticed that the slinger and peltast have the same stats but the slinger is much more expensive.

Excellent map and choice of civs BTW. I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into this one
                          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Does anyone have a copy of this scenario? The link at the top of the page no longer works!
                            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                            SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                            SL INFORMATION THREAD
                            CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Originally posted by Werd100
                              Does anyone have a copy of this scenario? The link at the top of the page no longer works!
                              I try...
                              Attached Files
                              "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

Working...
                              X