MOO 1 XP prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO 1 XP prob

Does anyone have additional help about getting MOO I to work on your comp in windows XP?? I followed the directions and are still having trouble in insite would be helpful. thanx

Use "Virtual PC" or "VMware Workstation", you will not have any problems under any operating system or hardware.

Links:
    Virtual PC - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc
    VMware Workstation - http://www.vmware.com

Comment

What is the issue? I have been playing Moo1 on XP since it came out. I am using XP PRO now, but have had it on HOme Edition as well.

I get sound and have only rarely taken a crash. Lots of different video cards.
      Last edited by vmxa1; December 1, 2005, 08:15.

Comment

I just get a black screen when I try to run the game

Comment

Did you get this version from a download site? I know some time back a few ran into problems with a DL.

Black screen happens when. during startup, before any into? I have played Moo1 on OS2, Nt, Win9x, Dos, Win3.x, ME, XP. Everything except 2000.

So many different hardware and video cards I cannot remember. My currrent PC has had 4 different video cards, 2 motherboards and three operating sysem and all worked.

Were you able to get the install to run?

Try this:

SUMMARY
          This article describes how to troubleshoot MS-DOS-based programs in Windows.
          MORE INFORMATION
          Test the Ntvdm subsystem
          The first thing to test when you are having problems with MS-DOS-based programs is the Windows Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) subsystem. You can use the Command.com utility to test whether the NTVDM subsystem is running properly. To start Command.com, follow these steps: 1. Click the Start button, and then click Run.
          2. In the Open box, type command.com, and then click OK.
          This should start a command prompt window. If this does not work properly, then there is a problem with the NTVDM subsystem, and you should check the following items: • Check the Config.nt and Autoexec.nt files in the SystemRoot%\System32 folder for non-standard settings.

Use a REM statement to remark out all entries except the following default entries:
          Config.nt
          ---------
          dos=high, umb
          device=%SystemRoot%\System32\Himem.sys
          files=20

Autoexec.nt
          -----------

lh %SystemRoot%\System32\Mscdexnt.exe
          lh %SystemRoot%\System32\Redir
          lh %SystemRoot%\System32\Dosx
          lh %SystemRoot%\System32\Nw16 (only if CSNW is installed)
          lh %SystemRoot%\System32\Vwipxspx (only if CSNW is installed)

Another way to accomplish this is to expand Autoexec.nt_ and Config.nt_ from the Windows CD-ROM to the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
          • Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager, close all running programs that are running, and make sure that there are no other NTVDM processes running.
          • Prevent all programs from running at startup. Programs can run from three places at startup: the Startup groups, the Run and RunOnce lines in the registry, and the "run=" and "load=" lines in the Win.ini file. You can check these places as follows: 1. The Startup groups are folders on the local hard disk. They are in the following locations: • %SystemRoot%\Profiles\user_name\Start menu\Programs
          • %SystemRoot%\Profiles\Default user\Start menu\Programs

2. The Run and RunOnce lines are in the registry, under the following registry key:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\
          3. You can edit the Win.ini file by using Notepad. The Win.ini file is in the %SystemRoot% folder.

• Examine the NTVDM system files in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. Check the following files and make sure that they are the correct version by checking the size and date: Ntio.sys
          Ntdos.sys
          Ntvdm.exe
          Ntvdm.dll (Windows NT 3.1 only)
          Redir.exe

• The registry entries that are associated with the NTVDM subsystem are: • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Environment
          This key stores the environment variables from the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files for use in Windows.
          • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\ VirtualDeviceDrivers
          This key stores the device drivers that are used in an NTVDM session. Windows Setup creates these entries when a device driver is installed.

Check program-specific issues
          The following functions do not work in Windows XP: • All MS-DOS functions except task-switching API (application programming interface) functions are supported.
          • Block mode device drivers are not supported. Block devices are not supported, so MS-DOS I/O control (IOCTL) APIs that deal with block devices and SETDPB functions are not supported.
          • Interrupt 10 function 1A returns 0; all other functions are passed to read-only memory (ROM).
          • Interrupt 13 calls that deal with prohibited disk access are not supported.
          • Interrupt 18 (ROM BASIC) generates a message that says that ROM BASIC is not supported.
          • Interrupt 19 does not restart the computer, but cleanly closes the current virtual DOS machine (VDM).
          • Interrupt 2F, which deals with the DOSKEY program callouts (AX = 4800), is not supported.
          • Microsoft CD-ROM Extensions (MSCDEX) functions 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, E, and F are not supported.
          • The 16-bit Windows subsystem on an x86 computer supports enhanced mode programs; it does not, however, support 16-bit virtual device drivers (VxDs). The subsystem on a non-x86 computer emulates the Intel 40486 instruction set, which lets the computer run Enhanced-mode programs, such as Microsoft Visual Basic, on reduced instruction set computers (RISC).
          This means that Windows does not support 16-bit programs that require unrestricted access to hardware. If your program requires this, your program will not work in Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.

You should next check to see whether the Autoexec.nt and Config.nt file settings are correct. Always try the default settings that are listed earlier in this article. Some programs require special settings or drivers to run in the Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. If this is the case, there are two options for initializing these files when you starting your program: • Enter these lines in the Config.nt and Autoexec.nt files in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
          • Create new Config and Autoexec files to be run when starting this program. To do so, follow these steps: 1. Create the files and save them with the extension .nt in a folder other than %SystemRoot%\System32 (these files are usually saved in the same folder as the program).
          2. Right-click the desktop, point to New, and then click Shortcut.
          3. In the Type the location of the item box, type the full path to the file that you want to run, and then click Next.
          4. In the Type a name for this shortcut box, type the name for the shortcut, and then click Finish. This creates a new shortcut on the desktop.
          5. Right-click the new shortcut, and then click Properties.
          6. On the Program tab, click Windows to open a dialog box for the path to the Autoexec and Config files.
          7. Type the full path to the files that you created, and then click OK in both dialog boxes.
          Clicking this icon runs the Autoexec and Config file specified for the program. These settings are subject to the same restrictions as those listed for MS-DOS-based programs.
          There are other settings in a program's properties. If your program is not working properly, check all of the tabs and make sure that the program settings are set to the manufacturer's specification. If the program is still not working, contact the vendor of the program to make sure that the program is supported under Windows.

For additional information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
          171940 MS-DOS application I/O operations cause floppy drive access
          156687 Entries in CONFIG.NT or AUTOEXEC.NT may cause NTVDM errors
          102418 NTVDM error: There is no disk in the drive
          142026 Err: 'Hidden console of WOW VDM' running 16-bit or DOS app
          The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

Comment

Sorry to be a bore and ask simple questions, but I'm no wizard at computers and haven't been able to get Master of Orion to run smoothly yet. I followed the instructions on this http://www.jonsullivan.com/misc/moo_xp.htm site to the letter (I hope, although with the "REM" thing I just deleted the lines, if that's not the way then please tell me otherwise) but still have a lot of lag and desynched or dodgy sound problems. A "newb-friendly" step by step instruction (such as that one) to check on problems would be nice if possible.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Deleting lines should be fine. I do not even use a modified autoexec or config.nt.

What do you mean by smoothly? Does the game come up and do you see the intro movie?

The sounds probably will sound less than crisp. I only enable the effects, not the music.

Other than that I just installed it and it ran fine. The only game I had to use a modified nt file is Master Of Magic. That one was a real toughie to get working.

I know a lot of players are using DosBox to get Moo to work for them as I see their screen shots.

Comment

Smoothly in the sense that the sound is very jittery and sometimes effects don't play, and there is a lot of lag in all the combat sequences and the bombing sequence. I can still play and enjoy the game but it becomes tedious when every combat takes twice as long and I was wondering whether the thing about memory being taken up in the WinXP "running MOO" help was anything to do with it.

What is DosBox and how do you use it?

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Comment

You can try this site as well for help.

Comment

Working...
                    X