Acer Travelmate C314 System Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer Travelmate C314 System Crash

I've spent spare time over the past few weeks trying to get Civ4 running on my tablet. I can get around 3 minutes into any game when the system locks up. First the screen goes black, then it starts cycling through colors every few seconds (red, green, blue, grey, etc). At this point the system must be reset via hardware.

The specs for the machine are:
    - XP SP2 (Tablet 2005)
    - 2.0GHz Centrino
    - 1GB RAM
    - 32MB nVidia GeForce Go 6200
    - Fully patched, latest drivers, etc

I know that the system requirements list 64MB video RAM, but the thread at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=141405 indicates that it should work anyway. However, if someone can confirm that this is the problem, I'll accept it and give up trying to get it to run. That being said, the fact that I can play a few minutes with full quality leads me to believe there may be something else going on.

I've followed these forums and tried all the things that made sense, but haven't had any improvement. I even went as far as to build a new drive with the bare necessities, but had the same crashes.

Oddly enough, none of the drivers provided by nVidia will install on my machine. Only the drivers provided by Acer on their site (never updated) will install via their installer. I've tried to manually configure the card to use the latest drivers (which visibly boosts performance) but I end up hitting the same lockups as expected during gameplay.

If anyone has managed to get Civ4 running on the same machine, let me know. It seems like a poor decision in hindsight to allow Civ4 to install on machines that are below the system requirements, but I suppose that's a question for another thread. The other question I have is "why would somebody make a turn-based strategy game that requires 64MB video RAM?!?" It's kind of like manufacturing a friendly, reliable stationwagon that only runs on jet fuel.
Working...
X