AU 100A: Introduction to Apolyton University Game A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU 100A: Introduction to Apolyton University Game A

I'll be posting a master thread with a more complete introduction to AU 100 later, but I want to go ahead and get this game started. For the time being, suffice it to say that the goal of this course is to get acquanted with Civilization 4 and, seconarily, for newcomers to get some experience with writing DARs (During Action Reports) and get better acquainted with Apolyton University in general.

As per the votes, the settings for this game are George Washington of America on the a standard-size continents map. The other settings are temperate climate and medium sea level, which I believe are the defaults.

In order to facilitate playing on any difficulty level, I've set up a World Builder scenario file rather than a regular save file. The instructions for installing the file and starting the game are as follows. (I'd appreciate it if the first person or two who tries this would let me know whether or not there are any problems.)

Instructions:
    • 1. Unzip the file and put it in the WorldBuilder directory in the Saves folder.

2. Start Civ IV and select Single Player, then Scenario.

3. Select AU 100-A and click OK on the bottom right corner.

4. Leave American Empire selected and click OK. (Otherwise, you’ll probably be playing not only the wrong civ but also the wrong starting location and so forth.)

5. If you like, you can change your leader name and other information. Then click OK.

6. Select your difficulty level. (Please leave Game Speed at Normal so we’ll all be playing under the same conditions.) Then click OK.

At this point, you should be ready to start playing.

For anyone who has trouble finding the saves folder, the full path to the file on my computer is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Saves\WorldBuilder\AU 100-A.zip

Note that Compaq_Owner is the username, and is likely to be different on other systems.

And here's the file:
    Attached Files

I'm tentatively thinking the During Action Reports (DARs) should be broken up into the following periods, but I haven't played enough to be sure I'm remembering the eras correctly (or even remembering correctly exactly how many there are). I'll wait a little while to start DAR threads in case anyone has corrections or alternative suggestions.

DAR 1: 4000 BC - 1500 BC
    DAR 2: 1500 BC Until Start of Classical Era
    DAR 3: The Classical Era
    DAR 4: The Medieval Era
    DAR 5: The Renaissance Era
    DAR 6: The Industrial Era
    DAR 7: The Modern Era

Edit: After playing to the start of the medieval era, I decided that having from 1500 BC to the medieval era (in my case 450 AD) in a single DAR was too much, so I'm modifying the DAR structure to have a (likely relatively short in most cases) DAR covering from 1500 BC to the start of the classical era.
    Last edited by nbarclay; November 24, 2005, 18:36.

Comment

Downloaded, extracted and opened in Civ4 without a hitch. Thanks nbarclay.

Comment

Is the 100A tested with patch v1.09?
        I'm getting a "Load Error. Can not load version 100, expected version 101" trying to load it.

Just installed the patch. Created another game from scratch, that seems to run OK, in the first 4-5 turns anyway.
        "He [Caligula] has no more chance of becoming Emperor than of riding a horse across the Gulf of Baiae" - contemporary astrologer

Comment

The game loads for me in v109.

Is it meant to be able to choose the game speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson

Is it meant to be able to choose the game speeds?
            It's not really meant, and I specifically asked in the set-up instructions that people play at Normal speed. But I don't know enough about World Builder files to know a way of making it impossible to play at a different speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligula 37 AD
              Is the 100A tested with patch v1.09?
              I created it with 1.09. The only possible caveat is that I tried out the buggy 1.08 patch before upgrading to 1.09, and it's not completely inconceivable that that could have introduced a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay

It's not really meant, and I specifically asked in the set-up instructions that people play at Normal speed. But I don't know enough about World Builder files to know a way of making it impossible to play at a different speed.
                I think this will do it:

Code:
                Version=11
                BeginGame
                	Speed=GAMESPEED_NORMAL
                	[b]ForceControl=FORCECONTROL_SPEED[/b]
                You can disable civs from being playable by changing each:

Code:
                BeginPlayer
                	[b]PlayableCiv=0[/b]
                Though there may be a Player and ForceControl combo to do the same thing?

Comment

Quoting myself:
                  I'm getting a "Load Error. Can not load version 100, expected version 101" trying to load it.
                  The problem is fixed!
                  It was my bad as I had the game open while running an update file from c:/
                  Obviously the InstallShield(R) does not close the game as the update from ingame does.
                  I blame it on my "Settler" status. I guess I should ...

- C
                  "He [Caligula] has no more chance of becoming Emperor than of riding a horse across the Gulf of Baiae" - contemporary astrologer

Comment

Well now, I haven't played an AU game in quite a while (when C3C SP games started getting boring). Time to start a new game then...I wonder if I'll do well or not.

I'll try this one later this weekend since I'm in the middle of Thanksgiving holidays right now.

Comment

I've downloaded - I'll try to make a start this weekend, though it depends on how much MP I play.

Comment

These games are fun, but I presume that this being a center for academic learning , there is a greater purpose to them?

By which I mean there will be an analysis stage. What will this involve? Who will do it? When will it start?
                        The Roman Kings scenario is now ready for play: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...tin.com/forum/

Comment

Just downloaded it! Will have a look-see this morning!

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I just posted this over in the patch forum, but I'll post it here too, as it appears that I'll be some delayed in starting the AU courses.....

I got the same strange message already posted about "not being able to find a valid source for Civ 4, patch cannot be installed" then, after several minutes, it DID install (or seemed to). Rebooted, and on game start, I get up to "Init XML (cached)" and then the application stops running.

That's as far as I can get, so for the time being, I'm backing off of the patch.

-=Vel=-
                            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I got a similar error, but ignored it and it worked.

Comment

Working...
                              X