No announcement yet.

AU 100A: Introduction to Apolyton University Game A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

took me a bit, but I finally got it running....downloading the game now...

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I've downloaded and made a couple of moves in 4000 BC [after having downloaded and installed the 1.09 patch.]
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireb
        These games are fun, but I presume that this being a center for academic learning , there is a greater purpose to them?

By which I mean there will be an analysis stage. What will this involve? Who will do it? When will it start?
        There are three main ways that these games are oriented toward learning. First, just comparing different strategies playing the same civ on the same map is a useful learning experience. Second, players often comment on their own strategies, and sometimes on other players' strategies, in the DAR threads. And third, there's a post-game wrap-up thread (which I haven't started yet) specifically for players to post about and discuss things they learned from the game.

Comment

A suggestion: add to DAR 3 the 1AD reporting point. Or 50 AD as that is normally an autosave.

The reason that the Classical era is not well defined: You can get to Medieval without having all the ancient techs, but you can also wait until after 1000 AD. So, some games will only have meaningful DARs 1,4,5,6,7.

If 1 AD becomes a reporting point, it will be easier to compare: If you enter the medieval era in the BCs, just keep on posting in DAR 3 (Classical Era) until 1 AD. Others, which spend from 500 BC to 1000 AD in the Classical era stop in the middle of the DAR, and report in 1 AD as well (and continue posting in DAR 3 until they reach Medieval techs).

Tech isn't eveverything, the size of your empire and the ability to wage war are also important. Comparison after a certain set number of turns is also needed.

DeepO

Comment

I agree, DeepO. As my DAR will show, I went right past one of the eras in practically no time at all, making it hard to fit the DAR in the current system.

It actually ought to be based upon number of game turns you have completed, but the easy referent of 1 AD makes sense.
            I play Europa Universalis II; I dabble in everything else.

Comment

Another DAR landmark to consider (though not for this game) is exploration and contact. In the Civ 3 AU we often had one landmark at contact with all civs on the home continent, and another with contact with the oversears Civs. This reduces the 'spoiler' effect of, say, an extreme Optics beeline revealing most of the map in a DAR.

Comment

Exploration is a bit of an issue, yes. I only got the lay of the continent after paper as borders were still closed. Of course, you can't really miss the form of the continent once you're reading other poster's DAR #1.

It didn't matter too much, though. I didn't care for the map or I would have gone for it in-game

There is one more problem with the current structure: I finally saw where the cows, bronze and iron were in DAR #3. But the screenshots of DAR #1 will show these resources in about half the games. Now I played to Alphabet before starting (or reading) DAR #1, but still...

DeepO

Comment

Sweet. I downloaded it yesterday, and have played through 1800 AD. I'll post some DARs tonight.

Technically, my DAR3 and DAR4 are the same - since I entered the Classical & Medieval Era on the same turn (Oracle CS slingshot). My notes went through a really bad stretch there anyway (I really have to work at taking notes while playing. They start off great but tend to trail off over time). They improve in the renaissance/industrial eras though.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    Sweet. I downloaded it yesterday, and have played through 1800 AD.
                    Nice session.

Comment

Yeah, I had the day off, so I played from about 2pm until about 10pm, with a break for dinner/dog walking.

This was the result of getting a book from the library (Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix) and deciding, rather stupidly, that I really must finish it in one sitting. This resulted in being up until 3am, which resulted in me blowing a vacation day. This lead to a solid civ session and a minor lecture from the wife.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I would have lectured you too - you should have played Civ till 3am, then taken the day of the recover whilst playing Civ.

Or wasn't that what she meant?

Comment

No, she was upset that I said something like "I promise I'll just finish this chapter" around 10pm. The word "promise" was the problem. Don't promise stuff to people when you ought to know you're full of ****.

-Arrian

Comment

I promise this is the last turn.................

Comment

i routinely stay up till 2:30 (AM) playing civ

BTW can anyone tell me how to post screenies?

i can get a chopped version up, but only at the end of a post.

i cant find how to

A post w/o chopping to 800*600
                              B post in the middle of thread/more than one in post

thanks
                              Last edited by wardhali; December 28, 2005, 16:11.

Comment

You just use the post reply as opposed to the quick reply. You will then see an option below the window for attachments. Here you select that buton an use the explorer like function to located the screen shot on your system.

Basically the same as you would for email. Then submit the reply.
                                Screens have to be of certain types and not over 500K.

This is handled by converting to jpeg at 800.

Comment

Working...
                                X