Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the American "The Office" eclipsed the British "The Office"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the American "The Office" eclipsed the British "The Office"?

Discuss..

The British "The Office" was hilarious in its cringe inducing antics of Ricky Gervais, but I think the American version has passed it by, especially with this 2nd season. The 1st season was ok, but the 2nd season (especially the last 3 or 4 episodes) have been comic gold.

Steve Carrell is playing the character better (ie, less toned down... more pathetic) and it just makes the entire show utterly falling on the floor, laughing your ass off funny. It also doesn't hurt that Dwight is cast perfectly (Jim and Pam are cast good as well, but Dwight is just spot on).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

I like it... haven't seen the British version though so I can't compare
    Monkey!!!

Comment

I think when "Arrested Development" finally gets canceled (), "The Office" and "My Name is Earl" will fight against each other for the title of best comedy on tv (and interestingly enough, they are on back to back on Tuesdays on NBC).
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I though it already got canceled
        Monkey!!!

Comment

There is still half a season left to run.

Comment

last couple episodes of Arrested development weren't that good in my opinion, but The Office
            Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Heathen!!

The Rocketman v. Moleman episode was Pure. Comic. Gold. In fact, the last two episodes they showed back to back before the hiatus were perhaps the two best episodes of the 3rd season.

Comment

No, I'm sorry just hasn't been that funny this season.
                Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Yes, I'm sorry, it has .

The last two they showed have been as funny as any Arrested Development show ever aired. Though the "For British Eyes Only" has had a fairly slow buildup (unfortunetly). Bob Loblaw is utter hilarious ("There will be no nonsense in front of Bob Loblaw ).

Comment

I watched the first USA series and thought it was very poor, it was like the actors were trying to do impressions of their British counterparts instead of their characters.

I have to admit the second series is much better, its still not as good as the British version though....

Comment

Difference of opinion I guess, my personal favorite episode is "Righteous Brothers", "Rocket man vs Mole man" was clearly the best episode of the season, but it still wasn't that funny.

Comment

Bah!! Bah, I say! Though I guess it helps if you watched a decent amount of Godzilla as a kid. I was on the floor laughing.

Anyway, on topic... American "The Office"

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Heathen!!

The Rocketman v. Moleman episode was Pure. Comic. Gold. In fact, the last two episodes they showed back to back before the hiatus were perhaps the two best episodes of the 3rd season.
                          And you like Potter, right?
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I want to watch The Office....I like Steve Carell alot....

but Habs always play on Tuesday nights

Hockey > comedy
                            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Don't you have a VCR or a DVR?

Comment

Working...
                              X