Question on upgrading from x32 windows to x64 windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on upgrading from x32 windows to x64 windows

I naively tried to install x64 windows xp pro on the incorrect assumption that it would automatically upgrade my x32 windows xp pro installation (kind of like how installing x32 windows xp pro automatically upgraded my x32 windows xp home installation). Such was not the case. Does anybody know of a handy-dandy guide/program to transfer all of my x32 settings/programs/etc. to the x64 installation, or do I have to reinstall everything?
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

You have to reinstall everything.

There is actually way more difference in internals of Windows XP x64 (compared to 32-bit), than it was even from Windows 98.

There's no more 16-bit compatibility, and all 32-bit apps need to be installed under certain compatibility layers and emulators.

I strongly recommend you just dual-boot x64 and 32-bit XP (that's what I do). Some products do not yet have x64 drivers, and some programs don't work in x64 yet.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Crizzap.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I really like the idea of x64 and want to switch to it but I hate being the guinea pig which has to help sort things out. I think I'll wait until it becomes the standard and then switch.

Asher, when will an x64 architecture version of Windows become the default OS shipped with most new machines?
        Last edited by Dinner; November 22, 2005, 01:23.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Windows Vista.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            Windows Vista.
            In other words, never?

Comment

There is still no true MacOS X 64-bit, by the way.

There is a true Windows XP & 2003 64-bit.

Your attempt of humour is noted, as is the backfire.

Comment

There is still no true MacOS X 64-bit, by the way.

There is a true Windows XP & 2003 64-bit.

Your attempt of humour is noted, as is the backfire.
                The problem with you is, any time Apple or Microsoft is mentioned, you go into Safe Mode, where superfluous programs like Humor aren't allowed to run.

That, and that whole Canadian thing you have.

Comment

You have to admit that the running joke of Longhorn's long release got old about 4 years ago. The humour wasn't in your post to begin with.

Comment

You have to admit that the running joke of Longhorn's long release got old about 4 years ago. The humour wasn't in your post to begin with.
                    I have to admit that I didn't realize Longhorn had been delayed for four years or longer. You're right, that isn't funny. It's sad

Comment

You have to admit Verto, that last joke was just too easy.

For a gay person, he's a pretty good straight man.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                      X