TERRANX.ICD - Application Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TERRANX.ICD - Application Error

[s]So I bought this game bundle that had the "Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack". I downloaded the Windows XP Patch, and the SMAC part of it works fine, but the SMAX always crashes while it starts up.

I get an error saying:
    TERRANX.ICD - Application Error

The instruction at "0x00646ca2" referenced memory at "0x00671098". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program
    [/s]

EDIT: Everything's good now. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by QiZhe; November 18, 2005, 19:38.

Right-click on the shortcut used to start SMAX, select the Compatibility tab and apply these options:

* Run in Windows 2000 emulation mode,
    * 256 colours,
    * No visual themes, and
    * No advanced text services

Please post again if that doesn't help.

EDIT: Correct spelling.
    Last edited by Petek; November 18, 2005, 20:13.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Whoohoo! It works now! Thank you very much!

Comment

Same error is coming up for me, and I've tried this fix. The damned error keeps coming up, but late in the game.

Exactly what's this error in the first place?

Comment

The instances I'm encountering the error are very late in the game (around MY 2400 or shortly thereafter). Would that have anything to do with it?

Comment

Terranx.icd is actually the main executable file for SMAX. Terranx.exe starts the games, invokes the copy protection and then turns things over to the icd file. So, terranx.icd crashes don't tell you that much about what's happening.

Check your PMs for a possible solution. If that doesn't help, post a save file from immediately before the crash, with an explanation of what steps cause the crash.

Petek
            -- Kosh

Comment

This is how much of a newbie I am to message boards. What're "PM"s?

Comment

Private Messages - see upper right corner of this page.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I've found the culprit: any time I choose "Sentient Resonance" as either a research goal or get it through a sudden breakthrough, this error shows up.

This has come up in two separate games, but this is the first time its become systematic.

I'll try the recommended patch, but anyone have any other ideas?

Comment

Sounds like a corrupted file, but I don't know which one (perhaps someone else here does). If the patch doesn't fix it, then uninstall/reinstall might do it.

Petek
                    -- Kosh

Comment

This doesn't make any sense - have played on win98, 2000 and XP for nine years, so I really doubt SR are the culprit. Do you have a save immediately before ? Please post such.
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                        This doesn't make any sense - have played on win98, 2000 and XP for nine years, so I really doubt SR are the culprit. Do you have a save immediately before ? Please post such.
                        I've saved both games right at that point. Not sure what else I can do here.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchantbard View Post
                          I've saved both games right at that point. Not sure what else I can do here.
                          A little bit longer down in the "Reply" there is a button "Manage Attachments" - here you can add your saves to your posting. It might be a good idea to zip them together.

Edit: That is if you Quote, If you use REPLY, you have to Go Advanced.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I think Petek is correct and it is a corrupted file; my system reported one while it was booting up yesterday.

I'm going to try the patches first, as I really don't want to loose the games I've already got going. Worst comes to worst, I'll just have to reinstall everything.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

Comment

If you want to make sure that your save files don't get deleted during an uninstall, just copy them to your desktop or any other convenient location outside the SMAC folder.

Petek
                              -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
                              X