internet games (gamespy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internet games (gamespy)

well i tried to buggery to get gamespy games working, but no luck. First had the problems with the gamespy account, it wouldnt accept it, and so I visited gamespyid.com like it said to see that I was already logged in there...But it just wouldnt accept it so I (and the 2 guys Im playing with) created new accounts, which let us in.

So Im behind a draytek vigor router, ports forwarded, software firewall (xp) disabled, and it just wont work. once....ONCE it let me in to some random game that i didnt want to play, just testing on, and in my excited haste to try and connect to my friends game (whom I am on ventrilo with at the time) I left that game and havent had any luck since. t just gets stuck on the 'Contacting host' bar and times out after ~2 minutes, usually with a message about being unable to contact the hosts firewall or something.

The UI glitches and freezes have made this process extremely frustrating. Id alt-tab out of the game to tweak my router, only to have all the text disappear when I came back in, if it doesnt crash in the meantime. Whilst Im using the UI for some unknown reason it also randomly disconnects my net (kicks me off msn/irc and buffers up ventrilo speech so it all comes out at once )

Direct IP games worked once I port forwarded, so we have resorted to that. Pretty much given up trying internet games until a patch...just sharing the pain

C4P has a rather extensive technical support area on these sorts of things, if that helps. Drop by our boards. If you're looking for more people to play with, you ought to come check us out.
    Friedrich Psitalon
    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

I wish games wouldn't use GaySpy.

It tells me to enter my Gamespy ID to play an internet game.
      What is that exactly?

The only details I have @ GamespyID.com are my email, nickname and password.
      No 'Gamepsy ID'.

(I've tried my nickname out of frustration but the field won't accept the exclamation mark in my nickname -or any of my nicknames without)

People out there are obviously playing multiplayer games.
      How do you get them to work?

And for the guy above -a link would be helpful

Comment

You have to tell civ that you are creating a new gamespy account, and just put in your existing gamespy information. Although that makes no sense, it does work, and afterwards you can login.
        Caelicola

Comment

yeah i tried that creating an account doesnt work either it just says the login has failed! (!)
          should i try a diff nickname?

Comment

lol ok it just worked (creating a new acc) sorry

Comment

I tried the new account screen with my already created account details. It didnt coem back with a log in fail but seemed to crash my machine. Should I have the firewall off?

Comment

It worked for me also when I switched firewall off!

Comment

Hi there!

I have the same problem (posted this elsewhere on the forum already) and when you create a new account in Civ4 it actually adds a new profile to your existing gamespy account.

I do not know why it does that but somehow the Civ4 lobby is seperated from the other gamespy lobbies.

Also the normal gamespy client does not recognize the Civ4 executable.

Weird!

Comment

The link that Fired didn;t add yet

then click on forum in the main menu on the left.

Acenoid, it added a new profile to your account because Firaxis decided that they would use a seperate name spce so that we all wouldn't have to compete with all the other gamespy games for a name. This has also caused a problem with getting GameSpy Arcade to connect with the lobby. Until this can be fixed, if it can be, the gamespy client will not recognize the CIV4 exe.

DTA
                    CIV4Players Admin
                    Civ3Players Admin
                    Co-Captian of Clan LAW
                    Firaxis QA tester

Comment

Working...
                    X