[Mod] Stronger Modern Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Mod] Stronger Modern Units

Tired of spearmen defeating your tanks? Want your machinegun to pack some punch? Then this mod is for you!

What has changed:
    All units from the gunpowder age up (except the musketeer and musketeer UUs) have their combat strength doubled. This exponentially increases their chance of victory against ancient units although still does not rule out spearmen defeating tanks. The odds are much lower than in vanilla Civ 4.

Stronger Units V1.0
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Right, so if you're behind the tech game you're going to die even faster.

I always saw the old units standing a chance against new units as a form of "free" upgrade the units get for having improvised weapons using new tech. Like spearmen using chemistry and explosives and such to take out tanks. It's nothing compared to military grade but...
    Mylon Mod - Adressing game pace and making big cities bigger.
    Inquisition Mod - Exterminating heretic religions since 1200 AD

Comment

Originally posted by Mylon
      Yes.

Whether you are for or against obsolete units having a chance of victory can be discussed in this unrealistic combat thread.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Skanky

Your link doesn´t go anywhere
        The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by Mylon

I always saw the old units standing a chance against new units as a form of "free" upgrade the units get for having improvised weapons using new tech. Like spearmen using chemistry and explosives and such to take out tanks. It's nothing compared to military grade but...
          I also hold that viewpoint. Then again I do think the modern units are a bit weak. Guys with guns should DEMOLISH melee and mounted units, especially riflemen.

But I think a 25% boost to gunpowder units would be enough, or prehaps better first strikes, really melee units shouldn't even be getting the chance to chop at riflemen.

Comment

The link works fine for me. If you are having problems, just grab it from here then.
            Attached Files

Comment

Now accepted to the directory:
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

question

hello my dear frind.

so far i m enjoying your mod.it looks fair.however i want to ask something:
                your mod supports lethal bombardment?
                and if no,u can make it?
                cause i m sick and tired of seeing bombers that cannot sink galleys with one turn and destroyers that cannot "blitz"cant sink a fleet of 2 galleys!!!
                also if u cant do these changes,is it possible to be done by someone?i m not an inapreciate guy,dont take it this way.i m asking if it is possible generally cause i dont have the knowledge yet for my self of how to make a mod and in order to search for it and i want to know if it is possible to make this happen.
                so:is it possible for making units active blitz(for ships)?
                is it possible to change the tech that they appearing?
                is it possible to make lethal bombardment?
                and last,can u make artillery to bombard units not when they are inside of towns,but somewhere else?i mean in the outscirts or in hills,deserts,etc.?
                thankls in advance,and thanks anyone who can give me any answer.

Comment

My mod does not support lethal bombardment. I'm not sure if it is possible or not, but a searh of this modding forum should turn up some links. If not, you can start a thread asking someone to mod that in.

Comment

How were you able to edit the units? I'd like to make some edits of my own, but Civ 4 is a total departure from Civ 3 or SMACX (my only experience modding firaxis.)

Comment

i agree!

yes, i agree!!!!

how can u do this?how can u edit units and techs they appear?can u help us please?cause i want to make some modifications my self!

Comment

Check the XML directory, most of the names are self explanatory.

Units are in,
                        Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Units\Civ4UnitInfos.xml

Edit with Notepad or an xml editor if you have one.
                        The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

At the moment I'm playing around with changes to modern units like such:
                          All gunpowder+ units (except musketeer and calvary) get +20% strength and +1-2 first strikes.
                          Musketeer gets +25% vs melee.
                          Grenadair gets +25% vs archers.
                          Machinegunner gets +50% vs mounted. (!!!)

I really like the machinegunner change, it totally wrecks those silly mounted units that should have died out long ago.

First strikes basically represents range, units with longer range get some free shots. (it can also represent suprise)

What I'm thinking of is doing something like this:
                          Archers have 1 first strike.
                          Riflemen-era higher have 2 first strike.
                          Infantry-era have 3 first strike.
                          Mechinf-era have 4 first strike.

This wouldn't change the balance within eras (since first strikes cancel out), but would allow modern units to destroy older units much better.

Comment

Working...
                          X