Ships lost at sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dis
    But how many modern ships are lost at sea?

Yes I know about rogue waves. I was in the U.S. navy after all. But how many modern cruisers and aircraft carriers have been lost to them? None that I know of. There was a destroyer that was very badly damaged in a storm during ww2. They even made a movie about it. But the destroyer was not lost.
    There was a violent typhoon in December of 1944 that did a lot of damage to Task Force 38. Three destroyers, Hull, Spence and Monaghan were lost with nearly all hands.
    That's all that I can think of, but I'm an army vet...

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus66

There was a violent typhoon in December of 1944 that did a lot of damage to Task Force 38. Three destroyers, Hull, Spence and Monaghan were lost with nearly all hands.
      That's all that I can think of, but I'm an army vet...
      that is probably the event I was thinking of, but I didn't think the destroyers were lost, just heavily damaged. I'll try to see if I can find it on wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by fypo13
        No. can. do.

Losing ships at random is like useless... There must be a basis for a ship's loss... Like a storm or whirlpool... Which gives me an idea...

Like what if disasters hit, like storm or whatever... But there should be an initial warning of this...

In the case of early game, a pop up window will appear saying, "There are prophecies that the North of New York will experience great storms." Probably 2 to 5 turns before there actually will be a storm...

In the late game, a pop up window will appear, saying "The national disaster coordinating council has seen a rise of low pressure area in the South of Paris. A typhoon is likely to occur." again, 2 to 5 turns before...

This way you can change stategies...
        I still would like to see hurricanes in this game. People really weren't big on random events I guess. I liked them.

Comment

I do like this idea as well. However, I think if your warrior enters a forest, he should have a chance of becoming lost too. Maybe have a bonus for Scouts, they can't get lost. Once you have upgraded your warrior, axemen, etc, the chance of becoming lost in a forest is decreased.

Comment

One of the problems associated with ships being lost in Civ 3 was that it was a huge exploit for the human player. The AI just wouldn't ever send any galleys into the ocean if there was a chance they were going to lose them, so the human could do a lot more exploring than his competition ever could. If the AI would behave the same way in Civ 4, I much prefer that ships are never lost at sea and that exploit never again shows its ugly head.

-donZappo

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

I still would like to see hurricanes in this game. People really weren't big on random events I guess. I liked them.
              I wouldn't mind storms like from Rome:TW. They popped up pretty randomly, and when they were around, you had enough time to navigate around them.

I guess basically I miss random events: storms, vocanos, plagues....

Comment

I do like the idea that sailing in the ocean is risky, and if the random dice lands against you, your unit(s) will lose a bit of health (and let the player be notified), but not an entire fleet

Though I wouldn't use this mod myself
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I liked the chance of losing a ship because it allowed you to take a chance and try to find a new place. Set out in a direction and see where you go, but it was risky.

Comment

Working...
                  X