Spearman vs Tank: A Different Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
    Some forums have a "beating a dead horse" link right by the profanity link. We really need one here. Do we really need YET ANOTHER thread on this topic?
    Obviously it's an important topic to a lot of people. We should have a forum just for the Spearman vs. Tank argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Aileron
      We should have a forum just for the Spearman vs. Tank argument.

We should also have one for Longbowmen vs. Modern Armour.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Maybe we need a Longbow vs. ICBMs and Modern Armour thread too...explanation: Last night I used World Builder to create a ton of ICBMs and I dropped 10 of them at once on a city (I was inspired by another thread that said mutliple ICBMs would make a BIG explosion). They did . Then I tried to walk into the nuked city with 3 Armours and I was replused by about 3 Longbows and a Rifleman. I thought that was a little stupid. Actually, I thought that was really stupid, but I don't care about these silly combat results very much myself. I only play single player and if something happens that I don't like, then I just cheat. Other players might find a bow and arrowman's resistance to nukes and tanks upsetting though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
          :: rocks back and forth::

Make the bad man stop! Make it stop! Oh please, oh please, make it go away!

Some forums have a "beating a dead horse" link right by the profanity link. We really need one here. Do we really need YET ANOTHER thread on this topic?
          I agree. I've seen these arguments/discussions in civ2/civ3 and now cIV. Great.

You know what, there's probably a lot of plausible explanations for game scale, unit size, probability of combat and randomness. Pick one.
          Attached Files
          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

IT'S ONLY A GAME!!!!! ;-)

Cambo

Comment

Originally posted by Cambo67
              IT'S ONLY A GAME!!!!! ;-)
              Cambo
              That's what I was trying to get across, basically. But I also wanted to point out that nukes should be more destructive. I've thought that since Civ 2.

Comment

Please just let the dead horse die..

Can we just imagine that the spearmen is "arbitrary unit 1" with strength of 4 + defensive bonus + culture bonus + other fortifications. It defends against "arbitrary unit 10" with a power rating of 32.

Who cares what the unit looks like or what it costs, this game run on numbers and odds. It can look like a Fred Flinstone weilding a club while riding a Brontosaurus and it would not matter. Oh why oh why can't people just have fun!

Comment

Can't we just spam that thread that badly, that it gets closed?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayfield
                    Please just let the dead horse die..

Can we just imagine that the spearmen is "arbitrary unit 1" with strength of 4 + defensive bonus + culture bonus + other fortifications. It defends against "arbitrary unit 10" with a power rating of 32.

Who cares what the unit looks like or what it costs, this game run on numbers and odds. It can look like a Fred Flinstone weilding a club while riding a Brontosaurus and it would not matter. Oh why oh why can't people just have fun!
                    This argument is BS.
                    If spearmen are a "1" unit, why call them spearmen to begin with? Why bother with unit names or 3d models? Why bother moving them around a map of terrain when you can move your "1" unit around a simple notated grid?
                    If we were designing a game for computers to play, I'm sure all that would be sufficient.
                    But the game isn't intended to be a dry math formula.
                    The concept is about managing and expanding a civilization. Units, advances and so on are supposed to be representative of things in the real world.

The main point of my thread was that I thought it would be interesting to finally answer the question of unit scale in the game.
                    I apologize for the bruises on any and all deceased horses.
                    Sir Ralph, if I bug you, put me on your ignore list. I know you know how.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus66

This issue will never go away! Bwahahaha
                      Seems the topic states quite well what the thread contains... If you really don't want to read about it, you have the option to skip over it instead of entering it and then whining about its existence. This is more childish than seeing several topics on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gray_Lensman

Seems the topic states quite well what the thread contains... If you really don't want to read about it, you have the option to skip over it instead of entering it and then whining about its existence. This is more childish than seeing several topics on it.
                        Err... he isn't the one whining - he started the thread, after all.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Mayfield
                          Why do you, Sir Ralph, and others want to kill this issue so much? One way to look at the game is just numbers, not to care about graphics, history, etc. Units are just counters moving around a board. Those who think that way can ignore the Spear vs Tank threads, and post about what they consider the real strategy and mechanics behind the game.

Another way to look at it, is that the game doesn't *feel* right when I drop 10 nukes on a city, then roll in with a tank, only to be defeated by a guy with a bow and arrow. Those who think that way can post Spear vs Tank threads.

We're all enjoying the game, we're just getting something different out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aileron

We're all enjoying the game, we're just getting something different out of it.
                            Bullseye. For this same reason it would be nice to see the return of the Preserve Random Seed option - some of us either are not hardcore players, or have too little time to play often and want to see the endgame on a respectable difficulty level someday.
                            "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Do we really need YET ANOTHER thread on this topic?

Yeah, we need, maybe eventually something will change in that matter.

how about a week long ban on 'spearmen beats tank' threads

I do not agree because I can not find a lot of these topics.

My proposition is following: resistance matrix with grouped unit types, and in every sequence it will be considered what unit attacks. Example: melee -> armor attack, resistance=99% (including maintenance problems, tanks breaking down etc).

Comment

Make the bad man stop i think so.
                                animated funny picturesfunny pranks
                                funny cats

Comment

Working...
                                X