registry files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• registry files?

First game I've had a problem with, and I buy 2 games a month on average. Pretty sure the first comp game I bought was civ in 1992, before the web was around.

p4 2.8
    1.5 gig ram
    dx 9.0c
    radeon 9600(64mb)
    driver from 10/7/2005 (latest)

Installed it, browsed around a bit, looked in the manual (no 'what's new in this version of civ' grrrrrrrrr), peeked into the tutorial, ran a few custom games and found new techs coming way too fast, went to work.

Came home, restarted, and it would not start a custom game. Tried different settings/world sizes, nada. It would also only get to the menu 50% of the time - otherwise crashed to desktop.

Browsed the forums (firaxis no longer HAS forums?!!?!?), found that civfanatics states my account is in limbo (logged on monthly), did a defrag and some cleaning. No change.

Cleared the cache under my documents, no change. Made it worse in fact. Found the unpak file and used that as directed, now it's even worse and I can't get to the game menu.

Found a diag.exe on the disc and ran it, thinking it might do a diagnostic. It ran for a bit and made a file - in hex. Wonderful....

Fine... It worked the first day without a problem, so I'll reinstall. A bit frustrating, but it happens.

No uninstall to be found. Never seen that before in a major companies product, but that's okay. Control panel, find the game, uninstall - installshield error, cannot uninstall.

By this time I'm pissed.

Took out a few games and installed them, looked all over the installshield site - my installshield works fine. Unless it's combined with civ4.

Deleted the civ 4 directory, took out the registry and all the other bits manually (no registry cleaner on the disc - grrrr), and when the autorun comes up, it says play/readme/exit. If I run the setup directly, it just says installshield errors.

I wiped the HD a month ago, so I'm not about to go through it all just so I can -maybe- run civ4, and it looks like there's zero chance of it running until I wipe it again.

I've never had anything remotely close to this happen. At this point I don't just want to stomp on the bloody discs (oh yeah, PLAY disc isn't used to play?), smash them and grind them into pebbles for my aquarium - but to actually return it, get my money back and say goodbye to the series.

Suggestions on cleaning the hd of all civ files?

Nobody knows?

This used to be as familiar to me as how to make a boot disc... but I'm surprised that nobody knows.

Comment

It could be that Civ 4 is still entered in the registry somewhere. Just doing a search for 'Firaxis' turns up a half-dozen entries (although some can be, for example, related to Civ 3) and not knowing which of these the installer is going to look at, it's best to make sure each of them is snipped out.

And of course, you know well enough to take a backup of your registry before doing pruning, so I won't remind you

Sorry I couldn't give anything more illuminating.
      O'Neill: I'm telling you Teal'c, if we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it.

Lose it. It means, Go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WACKO!

Comment

Working...
      X