• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boycott Sony

DRM this, Sony!

By Molly Wood, section editor, CNET.com
    Thursday, November 3, 2005

I hope this is the week that everyone in the world finds out what a root kit is. And I hope it's a week we look back on in amazement, as we consider just how far Sony was willing to go to criminalize consumers in its efforts to preserve control over its product. Because I believe this is the week that Sony effectively declared war on the consumer, announcing what most of us had already suspected: fair use is a joke in the movie and record industry, and the companies who control mass-market content will truly stop at nothing to protect their profits.

We're not gonna take it
    But let me start at the beginning. On Monday, October 31, alert users discovered that Sony BMG is using copy-protected CDs to surreptitiously install its digital rights management technology onto PCs. You don't have to be ripping the CD, either--just playing it from your CD-ROM drive triggers the installation. The software installs itself as a root kit, which is a set of tools commonly used to make certain files and processes undetectable, and they're the favored tool of crackers who are, as Wikipedia puts it, attempting to "maintain access to a system for malicious purposes." In fact, root kits are often classified alongside Trojan horses. And Mark Russinovich, who created a root-kit detection utility and was one of the first to blog about the Sony intrusion, discovered another little gem when he tried to remove the DRM drivers. It broke his computer--disabling his CD drive.

TalkBack
    So, I think we all agree that this is pretty bad, right? Tell it!
    Post your comment here
    So, let's make this a bit more explicit. You buy a CD. You put the CD into your PC in order to enjoy your music. Sony grabs this opportunity to sneak into your house like a virus and set up camp, and it leaves the backdoor open so that Sony or any other enterprising intruder can follow and have the run of the place. If you try to kick Sony out, it trashes the place. And what does this software do once it's on your PC? Well, here is (via David Berlind's excellent breakdown of the issue) what Amazon's CD listing page has to say on the subject:

"This product limits your ability to make multiple digital copies of its content, and you will not be able to play this disc or make copies onto devices not listed as compatible. Content/copy protected CDs should allow limited burning, as well as ripping into secure Windows Media Audio formats for playback with most compatible media players and portable devices. In rare cases, these CDs may not be compatible with computer CD-ROM players, DVD players, game consoles, or car CD stereos, and often are not transferable to other formats like MP3."

So it's not just the black hat tactics. The DRM itself is almost unbelievably restrictive, and some have suggested that the reasoning behind it is part of Sony's ongoing war over digital music supremacy with the decidedly more supreme Apple. Here's how Engadget summarizes a recent article from Variety: "The new copy protection scheme--which makes it difficult to rip CDs and listen to them with an iPod--is designed to put pressure on Apple to open the iPod to other music services, rather than making it dependent on the iTunes Music Store for downloads." I wish I could say that was a joke, but apparently, it's not. In fact, some of the artists involved didn't give permission to Sony to use the backdoor DRM technology, and want no part of it. Amazing.

Happily, and despite the use of scary words like root kit, this story hit the Web in a big way. The PR for Sony is, shall we say, not good. By Wednesday, November 2, Sony had announced that it would, in conjunction with the company that developed this bad black hat idea in the first place (First4Internet) release a patch to antivirus companies so that hackers wouldn't, hopefully, be able to take advantage of the backdoor they just opened on your property. So, that solved the most immediate concern, but the only thing the patch does is reveal the antipiracy software. Presumably, you'd suffer the same PC-crippling effects if you tried to remove it, and Sony continues to insist, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary, that its components weren't harmful in the first place. As for the insanely draconian copy protection--it's still cheerily intact.

No, we ain't gonna take it
    This is an unacceptable development in digital rights enforcement. I don't know how to put this any more clearly. Don't get me wrong--we've long since crossed the line. It's utterly absurd that we accept paying for music that will play on only one or two digital audio players, at best. It's absolutely insane that anyone ever tried to put out a CD that couldn't be ripped to a PC at all. It's a complete joke that we're sitting around anticipating the day when TiVo comes along to tell us when we have to watch a recorded show, and that it will choose when a recorded show might be deleted. I can't even believe cell phone carriers think it's OK to cripple cell phone features in order to protect their own moneymaking propositions. And Hollywood's proposed new Analog Hole legislation, which would criminalize nearly every digital video activity you can think of, is another column unto itself, and it's going to be a long one.

But this--using the tactics of criminals to invade our PCs without our knowledge and to expose us to further attack, just so you can keep us from, say, burning a mix CD and giving it to our friends--this is beyond the pale. And as many news sources are beginning to point out, there's some reason to think it might also be illegal, under the U.S. Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

We're not gonna take it...anymore
    Companies: You will never get the increasingly technology-aware, mass media-consuming populace to support your right to copy protection or digital rights management unless they are on your side. And because we are increasingly technology aware, your ever-increasing assault on not only our fair use but also our common sense will virtually guarantee that we use our God-given ingenuity to find a way around whatever bizarre restrictions you see fit to impose. Why? Not because we're dying to break the law, but because you have sold us a crappy product, and, fundamentally, because it is not our responsibility to protect your profits.

What's the solution? In the near term, for us, it's not to buy any Sony CDs, and maybe not any Sony anything. In the longer term, it's to start agitating for a rewrite of copyright law in the manner so eloquently suggested recently by Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal. He suggests copyright law with actual teeth that can chomp on massive-scale piracy, but with broad exemptions for personal use, because excessive DRM is hampering innovation and alienating consumers. I couldn't put it any better. And companies? Sony? Are you really going to tell us that overhauling these outmoded rules is harder and more destructive than suing retirees over honest mistakes made by their 12-year-old grandsons? This is the path you're going to choose?

I'm truly sorry that there are, out there in the world, mass-production piracy operations that are digging into your bottom line, but you know what? I'm not one of them. Neither are most of the people who will be laboring under the nasty little flags, Trojan horses, and FairPlay/Plays For Sure doublespeak that you see fit to slap on the stuff we legitimately purchased.

And you know who's not going to labor under those restrictions? You know who's not even going to notice? The mass-production piracy operations, that's who. You know it, and I know it. So why are you engaged in this nickel-and-dime, small-time thrust-and-parry with me and my friends? Trust me, you're not going to make back the money by dropping viruses onto my PC, because my almighty dollar and I are going elsewhere--and you're probably not going to like where I end up.

Technology will march on. Technology is the reason we're in this fix in the first place, and technology will keep on giving us solutions to whatever irritating, invasive, and potentially illegal roadblocks you keep throwing in our path. And damned if we and our almighty dollars, no matter how long it takes, don't eventually win these little wars.
    I don't know, maybe there's been a thread on this already.
    With so many viable alternatives to Sony, they're not getting a dime from me.
    Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

(Sava. Pretty well-done, huh? )
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

very nice post

btw, summary?

I am too lazy to read this
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I've been yelling about this for a time

Especially with all the copywrite problems

Sony makes the technology to make it possible to go around copywrites, however they sue those who are using their technology as it was designed too... they're arse wholes.

oh, and another trick Sloww...

[ url="http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-637...tml?tag=nl.e501"]Link[ /url]

without the spaces, gives you;

Link
      Monkey!!!

Comment

They're setting themself up to screw consumers, Sava.
        Leave access open to you pc, for one thing.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

so how do we prevent this?

Comment

I have been reading about this too - completely unacceptable. People who decide to pirate Sony's music have my complete sympathy; in fact I would say that it bordered on unethical to support Sony by buying their music after this...

And makes me glad that I don't run Windows. No wonder Windows is so unstable if people are trying to pull this.
            http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              They're setting themself up to screw consumers, Sava.
              Leave access open to you pc, for one thing.
              that sucks

I like Sony TV's

that is about it...
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well that just pushes me closer to piracy. I am sick and tired of CDs I can't play on my own computer. So I will just acquire them by other means. Way to shoot yourselves in the foot music companies. Those who do not employ such practices I will continue to buy albums from...simple as that...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The PS3 is loaded up with all kinds of DRM, and Blu-Ray (what Sony backs over HD-DVD) has unprecedented amounts of DRM also.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

oh, and another trick Sloww...
                    [ url="http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-637...tml?tag=nl.e501"]Link[ /url]
                    without the spaces, gives you;
                    Link
                    And on the 7th day, while resting but bored, He created Notepad.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                      Well that just pushes me closer to piracy. I am sick and tired of CDs I can't play on my own computer. So I will just acquire them by other means. Way to shoot yourselves in the foot music companies. Those who do not employ such practices I will continue to buy albums from...simple as that...
                      I support video game developers by buying good games after I download them.

But I do not buy music.

Record companies are evil.

The anti-piracy stuff they do to their CD's is ridiculous. I can't even make mix CD's with my legitimately purchased CD's because of the crap they put on their stuff.

For that, I will never buy any music. Ever. Period.

And plus, it's not like the artists need my support anyways. They make most of their money up front when they sign and from concerts.

OH NOES BRITNEY SPEARS COULD ONLY AFFORD 50 LEER JETS INSTEAD OF 60 LEER JETS BECAUSE OF PIRACY!!! WE MUST SUE 12 YEAR OLD GIRLS USING KAZAA!!!! THOSE CRIMINALS

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Man... I'm surprised that there isn't a lot more outrage over this. As many of you know, I'm a firm believer that people shouldn't pirate software. But after reading this... MY GOD. I may have to stop buying Sony products. I'll have to send them a letter saying that, due to this, I won't be buying their $13,000 Sixty Inch Flat Screen HD TV.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This is the third thread on this ming, there's tons of outrage.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                            Man... I'm surprised that there isn't a lot more outrage over this. As many of you know, I'm a firm believer that people shouldn't pirate software. But after reading this... MY GOD. I may have to stop buying Sony products. I'll have to send them a letter saying that, due to this, I won't be buying their $13,000 Sixty Inch Flat Screen HD TV.
                            do you object to what I do?

my trying before I buy?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Mmmm...$13 000 60" flatscreens
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X